cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does an ebay refund affect the destiny / processing of item not yet shipped from IL Hub?

I have a question about refunds and how do they affect the destiny of the item not yet received from the IL Hub..

If the est delivery date comes and passes without me receiving the item (shipped from the Hub), and I apply for and get a refund from Ebay, does anything therefore happen to the fate of item if it is still stuck at the Hub? Im referring to whether it still is automatically processed and shipped once it surfaces, or does ebay take possession of it - seeing they have paid me out for it? Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Does an ebay refund affect the destiny / processing of item not yet shipped from IL Hub?

If the estimated delivery date has passed and the buyer has not received his purchase, the buyer can open an item not received case.  If, from tracking, it appears that the package IS moving, eBay will sometimes want the buyer to wait a while longer.  Is that what you are asking about? And, if you have evidence that it's at least on its way, why not just give it a little more time?  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks. Im referring to if an item is stuck at the Hub and the delivery time passes, if I ask for a refund and I get it - does that mean if the item later surfaces at the Hub for processing - is it shipped, or does it get stopped seeing I got the refund?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

It can happen that if you get the refund, sometimes the item does indeed ebd up being delivered to you. eBay has absolutely no control over the item movement nor it will tell carrier to hold on to item and return to sender. 

Could you please tell us what is the item in question, and the value? Perhaps its being held up for inspection by local customs authorities (CBP, USDA, EPA, etc) and they haven't gotten around to it. 

My main job is as a US Customs Broker for a local US based company that receives numerous e-commerce parcels to be processed through customs and then onforwarded to final mile delivery agent, (UPS, USPS, FedEx, Pitney Bowes, etc. If a shipment is put on hold for inspection by customs, the HUB needs to find the item in questions and tender to customs for inspections. Keep in mind that the item is mixed in with numerous other parcels that came from overseas, typically packed in boxes or gaylords. This does take some time. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I forgot to add, if in the case that you do get a refund for your purchase, and later on receive the item, please try to pay the seller. As sellers, we are responsible to send items to buyers, but unfortunately have no control on how long it takes for them to receive the goods, and in case of international shipping, customs regulations. Good luck. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

It makes no difference in the shipping as to whether you were refunded for the item or not. Shipping is carried out by the shipping company, not eBay, they are not connected in that way. If you do get refunded and later the item arrives, you really should pay the seller for the item. Most sellers would gladly not charge you for the original shipping, since that was the core issue. Depending on the amount of the transaction, the seller can always take you to small claims court once they have proof of delivery and proof of a full refund, so it would be in your best interest to pay it back. Best of luck to you....

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for the relies. The item is a piece of audio equipment cost $85US. I have read the new ebay int shipping program criteria, and it seems to say that now the seller is only responsible for getting the package to the Hub. If he/she does this, then their part of the process is done, and the sale is complete. A refund therefore doesnt affect the seller, and is a matter for the ebay program instead.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

If you have been refunded and the item hasn't left the hub, I very much doubt that they would ship it out as it would then belong to ebay.  I have never heard of an item being refunded after it left the hub and then been delivered to the buyer but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.  When an EIS tem hasn't been delivered by the estimated delivery date, ebay tends to refund, I don't get the impression that they do a lot of research to find out where the parcel is and then recall it.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply