cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing a SNAD?

Hello everyone,

I haven't sold much of anything on EBAY for a while and decided to list some household/personal things for sale.

I have a 14 day return policy - buyer pays return shipping. This seems fair.

Yesterday, I received a SNAD. Sigh. I accpeted the return (really - what option is there?), but in retrospect, wonder if I should have disputed this. Obviously the horse is out of the barn, but for any future problems...

The buyer's reasons : purse was smaller than expected (I did include measurements), the handles more worn than she thought (pics are included and I did note this in the description), and - as the buyer is very sensitive to smells - they noticed a musty smell on the purse.  Why someone who is scent sensitive would EVER buy pre-owned thing online is a whole different can of worms.

I realize there is a segment of buyers that will "work the system".  I thought a return policy would deflect this - perhaps not?

My question is - can a seller dispute a SNAD? I have a return policy! Send it back and I will gladly refund your money. But this seller paying for the return - that grinds my corn.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Disputing a SNAD?

It's simple - once as seller escalates a return as not described you will probably be told a decision will shortly be made. Within 5 minutes 99.99% of the time the case is ruled in favor of the buyer and you will have to eat the postage both ways and MORE IMPORTANT you will get a HUGE DEFECT. These defects allow Ebay to make sellers pay higher fees or have their selling limited. It is a SAD FACT of life for sellers that Ebay sides with the buyer even if the buyer lies and never even returns the itme.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Disputing a SNAD?

Sorry, but I feel you need to have a very fair return policy.

Scents, smell and feel are very subjective and I know that so I'm OK with returns.  Really, how much data do you think people get from a couple pictures and some words?  Compared to seeing it in person-there could be a serious issue leaving you an unhappy buyer.

So just say OK, return it for a full refund.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Disputing a SNAD?

You can not dispute a musty smell complaint as there is no way to prove what item smelled like when shipped or recieved

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Disputing a SNAD?

If it stinks, don't list it - it's one of the fastest ways to p*ss somebody off.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Disputing a SNAD?

My question is - can a seller dispute a SNAD? I have a return policy! 

You can, but it is a major headache.  And either way you will end up accepting the return, it just comes down to who pays return shipping.  You will still have to refund in full.   That has been my experience anyways.   In other words - it's not worth it to fight it.  Accept the return and move on even if your buyer is a crud.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Disputing a SNAD?

It's simple - once as seller escalates a return as not described you will probably be told a decision will shortly be made. Within 5 minutes 99.99% of the time the case is ruled in favor of the buyer and you will have to eat the postage both ways and MORE IMPORTANT you will get a HUGE DEFECT. These defects allow Ebay to make sellers pay higher fees or have their selling limited. It is a SAD FACT of life for sellers that Ebay sides with the buyer even if the buyer lies and never even returns the itme.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Disputing a SNAD?

I would NEVER list anything that had an odor. That is not cool. Before shipping the purse, I vacuumed out the inside and dusted off the outside. It was wrapped in a large, ziploc type bag to protect it if the package was exposed to rain, etc.

The purse had been in use until I listed it - there was no odor.  Non smoking house - I don't go to smoking establishments. The customer said "they have a very sensitive nose" - which makes me wonder why they would ever want to purchase a pre-owned, unseen anything.

My point being - anyone can claim something has an odor. Brand new, used, etc. That is really frustrating.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Disputing a SNAD?

Thank you! I suspected as much. It seems that even with a return policy, savvy buyers can claim an issue to avoid paying return postage. Sigh.

Live and learn.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Disputing a SNAD?

This system is disgusting. Sorry, but SO frustrating!! I had a lady today tell me she's returning a scarf. SNAD because the SHADE OF YELLOW IS NOT FLATTERING. It's more of a "lemon yellow" not a "pale yellow" as she thought. I took amazing photos on an iPad Pro in natural light AND in an office (two lighting scenarios) and she still will win this. I have to refund her. WHY DO LUNATICS get to return stuff? I clearly have a "no returns" policy. But if she thinks the shade of yellow is not flattering on her she can ship it back? She took some terrible dark pictures of the scarf with a poor apearture, so of course it looks more yellow in her pictures. So she's claiming the shade of yellow is different enough to be SNAD. It's a brand new, perfect condition, no smell, lovely item. She does not debate this. She is debating the shade of yellow. I tried to fight it, but eBay will always side with her. I have 11 years, perfect feedback, and almost 300 postive feedbacks. Doesn't matter. I can't win. C'est la vie. This is the price of using eBay. 😞

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Disputing a SNAD?

@russianbluecatgirl wrote:

I would NEVER list anything that had an odor. That is not cool. Before shipping the purse, I vacuumed out the inside and dusted off the outside. It was wrapped in a large, ziploc type bag to protect it if the package was exposed to rain, etc.

The purse had been in use until I listed it - there was no odor.  Non smoking house - I don't go to smoking establishments. The customer said "they have a very sensitive nose" - which makes me wonder why they would ever want to purchase a pre-owned, unseen anything.

My point being - anyone can claim something has an odor. Brand new, used, etc. That is really frustrating.

Even a BRAND NEW CAR ON THE DEALER SHOWROOM FLOOR - has an "odor" does it not? I wonder if your buyer has ever had a new car? 🙂  (Did they return it because it had a 'new' odor to it? lol....

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Disputing a SNAD?

Smaells are not part of the MBG

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Disputing a SNAD?

Yes, there is NO point in disputing a SNAD.

A buyer and seller of barcode scanners purchased three I had listed on ebay clearly described and classified as "Not working; for parts only, untested, no batteries and no returns", yet they started a returns process because they were "not as described", purportedly due to the items having faulty triggers - so basically which part of untested, not working and for parts only was incorrect!!??

Anyway, clearly this buyer knows how to play the ebay system to the full because I then found that after contacting ebay several times during the process, ebay advised me to accept the return, then ebay suggest you raise a complaint for abuse of the return process once you receive them, only to then find out they refund the buyer in full regardless, you're also hit for return postage costs, then finally ebay reject your appeals and all......basically you're wasting your time raising it with them...….you're screwed, best accept it........WOW!!!

Furthermore after spending $50 for a battery (during the return transit period) so that I could power them up once I received them back (I could smell a rat), I then find each one has faults more glaring than having any faulty triggers (i.e. dud LCD screens), but curiously that was not mentioned by the buyer, suggesting more than very strongly that parts were swapped over...…..and yet ebay say they can't (or won't) do anything.

In summary- screwed by the buyer with full assistance of ebay…...yes it's an open licence for buyers to screw you for the lot and there's nothing you can do about.....THE BUYER WINS.....THE BUYER WINS......THE BUYER WINS......THE SELLER LOSES...…..THE SELLER LOSES...…..THE SELLER LOSES...…..SO ONCE AGAIN YOU'RE SCREWED, BE WARNED - ebay are not making this clear!!!!!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply