cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of Shipping to South Korea. Is this a scam?

I have a pre-owned DVD set listed. It's just a small ticket item (14.99) + Free Shipping. I only listed the item for U.S. buyers

I just received the following message from a potential buyer in South Korea:

"Hello,
I would like to order these items.
please let me know about shipping cost. i would to like to received in Registered Email.
ps> I'm from South Korea.
thanks and waiting for your email.
"

I could revise the listing to include international shipping so the item can be purchased but first of all, I don't know how to calculate what the shipping costs would be. I assume the free shipping would be to the international shipping center and the shipping from there to South Korea would be charged to the buyer. The only way I know of calculating international shipping is on the USPS website, and the costs for shipping a 2lb 8oz package ranges from 33.75 First Class International to 51.65 Priority International.  Can that be right? I can't imagine anyone paying that much to ship some used DVDs, which is why I didn't bother to list it with international shipping.

More importantly, aside from the shipping cost, the message itself looks strange to me. The person is a brand new eBay member (11/21) with no feedback. This isn't necessarily a problem but I'm not sure what is meant by "i would to like to received in Registered Email".  Does this look like some sort of scam? Ebay does not permit email communication. 

Any advice on how, or if, I should reply to this member?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Revise your listings for these particular items and activate the GSP for them.  You can then choose to ship these items to all international GSP destinations or choose to limit these to South Korea.

Then message the potential buyer:

"Hello [potential Buyer]!  Thank you for your interest in my items.

In order to make these items available to you in South Korea, I have revised the listings so that they can be shipped to you via eBay's Global Shipping Program (GSP).  The GSP protects both Buyer and Seller and makes it easy for me as the Seller to ship my items to International Buyers such as you.  Please revisit the listings to see the exact costs and time frame for shipping the items to you thru the GSP.  To give you plenty of time to make a decision, I will keep the GSP shipping option active on these items for at least [number] days.

I look forward to doing business with you now and in the future!  Thanks again for your interest in my items.

Sincerely,

[You]

Just adding GSP will have the Buyer paying the international leg, you would still be shipping it to the GSP hub on your dime.

If you are curious as to what they would be paying, after changing the items to add the GSP, go to the shipping tab of the listing and change your location to South Korea and you'll then see the price the Buyer would pay for shipping and customs/fees if applicable.  Don' forget to change your location back when you're done.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Yes, it cost a lot to ship international with tracking.  I would tell them you do not ship international. As the listing states.

I remember when if you asked Alexa to change the channel, she had to go to the TV and turn the knob. ~ iowa_east_coast
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Revise your listings for these particular items and activate the GSP for them.  You can then choose to ship these items to all international GSP destinations or choose to limit these to South Korea.

Then message the potential buyer:

"Hello [potential Buyer]!  Thank you for your interest in my items.

In order to make these items available to you in South Korea, I have revised the listings so that they can be shipped to you via eBay's Global Shipping Program (GSP).  The GSP protects both Buyer and Seller and makes it easy for me as the Seller to ship my items to International Buyers such as you.  Please revisit the listings to see the exact costs and time frame for shipping the items to you thru the GSP.  To give you plenty of time to make a decision, I will keep the GSP shipping option active on these items for at least [number] days.

I look forward to doing business with you now and in the future!  Thanks again for your interest in my items.

Sincerely,

[You]

Just adding GSP will have the Buyer paying the international leg, you would still be shipping it to the GSP hub on your dime.

If you are curious as to what they would be paying, after changing the items to add the GSP, go to the shipping tab of the listing and change your location to South Korea and you'll then see the price the Buyer would pay for shipping and customs/fees if applicable.  Don' forget to change your location back when you're done.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Very helpful!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply