cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirming with buyer if they are using a freight forwarder before shipping it?

Probably beating a dead horse here, so apologies in advance:

I have a buyer who paid for the item and the shipping address is a well known freight forwarding company's address, as evident by several other posts on this forum (3601 Old Capitol Trail Unit A-7 Wilmington, DE 19808-6042).

As a "CYA", should I message the seller asking if they are using a freight forwarder before I ship it out? 

The item being sold is an old computer that was listed for $30 plus shipping. 

If I'm understanding the rules correctly, I'm only really responsible for shipping the item to the address the buyer put when they paid for the item.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I would not ask a buyer if the address provided to me (as the seller) is a freight forwarding company.

My selling ID often sends packages to Delaware addresses, and the buyers of those items often have Eastern European names like Olga, Tatyiana, Yuri, etc., etc.

Since you say that shipping address is a "well known freight forwarding company's address" --
well, I do think it is safe to assume that it is a freight forwarding company !!

Assuming all the communication on your sale took place through eBay, you must send that old computer to that address in Wilmington, Delaware!  

Be aware, however, that if the buyer's eBay-registered address is not within the United States, your transaction total will be subject to eBay's 1.65% International Fee.  BTW, Delaware does not have statewide sales tax.  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Buyer's eBay account says they're located in the US. So I'm hoping I don't get hit with it; the breakdown only has the final sale value fee. 

I hadn't sent any messages yet, but I saw several posts on this forum as well as on Reddit, where quite a few people seemed to have issues when their buyer used that address and tried to pull something. 

I already had an issue with a buyer recently so I'm trying to just protect myself lol 😄

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

If the transaction breakdown shows only the final sale value fee, then you probably will not be charged the 1.65% international fee.  

I have never, ever, had any problem with mailing any of my eBay sales to any apparent-freight-forwarders with Delaware addresses.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@shiffy96 wrote:

Probably beating a dead horse here, so apologies in advance:

I have a buyer who paid for the item and the shipping address is a well known freight forwarding company's address, as evident by several other posts on this forum (3601 Old Capitol Trail Unit A-7 Wilmington, DE 19808-6042).

As a "CYA", should I message the seller asking if they are using a freight forwarder before I ship it out? 

The item being sold is an old computer that was listed for $30 plus shipping. 

If I'm understanding the rules correctly, I'm only really responsible for shipping the item to the address the buyer put when they paid for the item.

If I suspect an item is going to a Freight Forwarder I always ask where the buyer is located.  I would suspect a Freight Forwarder if I were charged an International Fee or I see the ship to address is different than the buyers location.

I do not ask because I am concerned about a scam, and I am not trying to get out of the sale.   I ask because I want to know when my responsibility ends.  If it is being delivered to a Freight Forwarder, then my responsibility ends when the Freight Forwarder receives item.  If the Freight Forwarder delivers a damaged item or loses the item, it is Freight Forwarders’ responsibility and not mine.

I learned long ago that asking before an item is shipped and you may not get an answer.  I always ask after an item has been shipped. 

Just a simple note

Hi, I shipped your item today and this is the Tracking Number xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxxxx.  Your User ID says you are in Brazel, but the item is going to Florida.  Are you in Florida to pick up the item or do you have someone in Florida who will send it to you in Brazel?

I have never had anyone who did not reply and they always say it will be shipped to their country.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

eBay's policy is that your responsibility ends when it is delivered to the freight forwarder, so you are fine with eBay there.

However, if they really want to scam you, they will tell their credit card company they didn't receive it and do a credit card changeback (not file an INR claim with eBay), which they can do with any address. Freight forwarders are as safe as any address in the USA to ship to.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I just sold a laptop under this circumstance.  

• Guy never suggests he's using this service; provides DE address.  I am blissfully unaware of this scheme and the need to check DE addresses closely
  • USPS inexplicably reports "Delivered" (to the wrong zip) and then five hours later updates to say 'Delivered to Agent for Final Delivery" (to the RIGHT zip).  This is the final USPS update on the website.
  • Despite 24 years on ebay and tens of thousands sold on the platform - ebay slaps me with 14-day hold because I don't have any feedback from past 12 months (13 months ago sold a game console).  OK whatever.
  • Laptop "delivery day" arrives; Laptop goes to typical appearing address in Delaware 
  • Ebay computers seem to only show the "Delivered" (to the wrong zip) and despite multiple chat rep's, all of them very dismissively stated that it says delivered to the wrong zip.  I begged them to check the USPS website as I think theres a mix-up, and the final update is indeed to the right zip.  Was rudely dismissed and rep's wound't even acknowledge the USPS tracking website's existence.
  • Ebay gives me a month-long hold due to "discrepancy" in delivery zip
  • I contact buyer and he says it arrived to freight forwarded, but is going to Ukraine now, and will arrive in "2-3 weeks"  Three weeks later (yesterday), I contact him and he says due to "war" its delayed.  I have asked for proof of delivery process from the freight forward
  • Turns out the guy has a 1-year old account with 500+ feedback full of the same phrase over and over again.  I got lazy and only went off the overall number.  Regret.  

I have told 3 different chat rep's that I think I'm being scammed, but repeatedly they will ignore 95% of my sentences and copy and paste some corporate response.  For example:

02:43:05 UTC jphillips32
I just want you to know that I think this is a scam
02:43:15 UTC jphillips32
and we're both being played
02:43:57 UTC agent
Hello John, thank you for your patience. I was able to review the transaction details and your conversation, and I can see that you are worried as the funds for this transaction has not yet been release as the buyer as not yet received the item. But you do not need to worry

He's going to ghost me and get away with a stolen laptop.  Despite my begging to assess this obvious scam, I will wait a month for my money.  This is ironically on top of a 2-week hold because I am a "new seller" at year 24 on ebay (sold Steam gaming console 13 months ago).  The fake 1-year seller profile is protected tooth and nail, at every point.  

So yeah, I'm done with ebay and their protection of freight forwarding schemes.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Most of the protections sellers think they can apply to freight forwarders do not work.

Scammers are smarter than Ebay bots.

I sometimes pay for a signature on a big ticket shipment to a freight forwarder. I prefer a proof of delivery which credit card issuers are likely to always accept, rather than tracking which is accepted less often. I do not have problems with many order, I have never had a problem with a shipment to a freight forward, but I do not sell laptops, cellphones or items which appeal to laptop or cellphone like grifters.

When I did not ship internationally, which was for years, I dealt regularly with buyers who used freight forwarders and recommended their use to international buyers. That tells you how positive the experience was.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply