cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined shipping & stubborn sellers

If you refuse to combine shipping on multiple items, I refuse to either buy multiple items from you or buy from you at all. Plain & simple. Yet so many sellers give a hassle over this simple thing...

"Immediate payment required" sellers can't have an invoice requested. Is this necessary for buyers to pay you right away these days?

"You can't request a total because the seller has already offered a discount for these items." And? That doesn't mean I should pay excess shipping charges on small items. I was going to buy 2 things from a seller, got that message, I'm not paying $3 more postage so a DVD & an object the size of a cracker can mail together. That's insulting.

"I already offer free shipping". Good for you. It's a sales gimmick. No courier has a free service. You can bundle & discount a bit on the postage. It's not hard. I have actually back-talked sellers who give me this excuse & refused to buy from them.

Mercari sellers have no problem with bundles & combined shipping yet here it's either an unknown concept or sellers just want the excuse to pocket the extra money. And before "sellers aren't obligated to combine", I'm not obligated to give you my business if you're going to have awful policies.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Sellers are under no obligation to combine shipping. It may be a nice gesture, but it is not required. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@47acc_37 wrote:

If you refuse to combine shipping on multiple items, I refuse to either buy multiple items from you or buy from you at all. Plain & simple. Yet so many sellers give a hassle over this simple thing...

Do you ask the seller first before you buying multiple items or do you assume the seller will combine shipping ? 
Purchasing multiple items does make a package heavier, the heavier the package is the more shipping will cost. 

"Immediate payment required" sellers can't have an invoice requested. Is this necessary for buyers to pay you right away these days?

Yes it is necessary to pay with immediate payment, it prevents having to deal with nonpaying buyers. 

"You can't request a total because the seller has already offered a discount for these items." And? That doesn't mean I should pay excess shipping charges on small items. I was going to buy 2 things from a seller, got that message, I'm not paying $3 more postage so a DVD & an object the size of a cracker can mail together. That's insulting.

Shipping is not just postage there are also handling charges included like cost of packing materials, gas to schelp your item to the post office, time spent waiting in line at the post office, seller fees etc…

"I already offer shipping". Good for you. It's a sales gimmick. No courier has a free service. You can bundle & discount a bit on the postage. It's not hard. I have actually back-talked sellers who give me this excuse & refused to buy from them.

Combined shipping does not mean that there’s a discount involved it just means all items bought will be shipped together. Purchasing more items doesn’t make the package lighter, the heavier the package the higher the shipping cost.

Incase you aren’t aware, USPS continually raises the cost to ship, last increase was January 17th. Sellers have to compensate for this cost.

Mercari sellers have no problem with bundles & combined shipping yet here it's either an unknown concept or sellers just want the excuse to pocket the extra money. And before "sellers aren't obligated to combine", I'm not obligated to give you my business if you're going to have awful policies.

Mercari has nothing to do with how eBay sellers run a business. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@47acc_37 

Apparently you're not aware that at least some of those issues are caused by ebay NOT the seller.

It's ebay who has decided that if any item is on sale or 'already discounted' then the seller can't offer a further discount on shipping.

It was also ebay who decided that any item with IPR cannot be sent an invoice.

I used to work around this by having the buyer send me a question on each item then making them an offer for the listed price so they could accept the offer and then I could send an invoice. Then ebay decided that wasn't ok, and NOW a seller cannot send an offer for the listed price.

And fwiw a "bundle' on ebay is for the seller to use, it is NOT meant to be for buyers to lump together a bunch of unrelated (and possibly impossible to ship together safely) items for the purpose of combined shipping.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@47acc_37 wrote:

All generalizations are bad, even this one.

Hate to burst your bubble but I can cite any number of examples where sending 2 items in the same box actually costs me MORE to ship than if I sent them individually because the size and/or weight of the box jumps to an entirely different pricing structure. 2 first class mail items going over 1 pound and becoming the more expensive priority mail. Lower priced Cubic pricing and flat rate pricing depend on the size of the box not the weight. Increase the size by adding a 2nd item and that advantage goes away. Going over 1 cubic foot adds an enormous up-charge.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

If I remember correctly, if you put your items in the shopping cart, you do not pay immediately.  I say this because....

I and a customer worked out pricing for 10 items.  He put all 10 in a shopping cart, that way we both could see the total.  He had not paid at that point  (even though all 10 were immediate payment required).  I calculated a percentage off that put us darn close to what we talked about.  I created a coupon for that percent off and sent it to him.  He applied the coupon when he paid for the items in his shopping cart.  He was happy, I was happy, eBay was happy.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

For International Buyers to me...they cannot send an invoice for combined shipping to me. I usually end up refunding for combined shipping. But my business plan is repeat buyers...so I do what I can to get them.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@47acc_37 wrote:

A DVD can be shipped Media Mail. A non-media item cannot. Combining the two would mean that the package would have to be shipped First Class rather than Media Mail, which would automatically make it cost more.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Without going over your specific transaction to understand what transpired, I will advise you of some other interesting things that the SELLERS do NOT do, but EBAY has caused. Follow the example below please:

(This applies to all sellers)

(from a sellers ability) A buyer comes to your store and wants to purchase multiple items from you and selects the items which end up in EBAYS shopping cart. Keep in mind the seller is totally unaware of your existence because ebay does NOT let the seller know nor see the sellers items in the cart! 

Assuming the items are NOT tagged with immediate payment, and that the seller allows for combined shipping, it is Ebay who using their faulty system of combining items- fact is they DO NOT combine shipping! They ADD each items ship cost to the next item's ship cost. (simple example you buy 2 Different decals, which weigh very little and falls into the 1st class USPS category. Each decal by itself would be 1st class and cost 4-5.00 for shipping. So since both decals together still weigh less than USPS 1st class lowest shipping cost, meaning that given the chance the seller can combine shipping and in most cases would still be 4-5.00....HOWEVER ebays idea of combined shipping is 4-5.00 + 4-5.00 = a "Combined total of $8-10.00" which is not what the real world considers combined. 

The problem here is the shopping cart #1. in order for a buyer to request a new total the buyer has to find and hit the request button, (here is where it starts to go downhill) ebay will NOT let the buyer hit the button until he commits AND pays for the items in the cart. (again the seller is unaware this is all going on) Once a buyer makes payment(if he does) ebay's policy blocks sellers from making any changes to the transaction(this aspect is a GOOD policy for both buyer and seller). Now it is pointless to be forced to make payment before being able to hit the request button, as the seller(if he could see and was aware of this transaction) has his hands tied and blocked by ebay from making any changes. This is on any transaction NOT using a phone app purchase...that goes even further down the rabbit hole as on phone app purchases no matter how hard a buyer attempts to find the request button they cannot, because there is NONE!. 

Again keep in mind the seller is totally unaware of all the above is being attempted, the ONLY times a seller is made aware of a buyer attempting to purchase multiple items is A. if the buyer actually messages the seller concerning his items. Or B. the buyer goes ahead and pays the EBAY determined total, which then appears on the sellers, seller hub as a paid transaction and to ship it, again keep in mind that ebay prevents any changes once a buyer has paid for the transaction. All the while most sellers would gladly combined shipping as it is only good customer service as well as common sense. 

Now these are the facts as it has taken me awhile to connect the dots to see what is happening and why, much of the information has been from the buyers who have messaged me trying to figure it out, as well as my 27 years experience of being an ebay seller. Upon calling ebay repeatedly concerning this issue the answer ranged from absurd to hi level techs admitting they have a problem. I will in ebay defense say that in the last couple days I have gotten email messages that a buyer has requested combined shipping, yet it still does NOT show up on the sellers seller hub on the "items eligible for combined shipping" tab.

In the case of sellers being unaware of the above issues with the cart, they will never know how many lost sales were caused by this, unless the buyer actually messages the seller to inquire, if he does not the cart sets in limbo forever and the buyer will go elsewhere to buy the items he wanted, and most likely blame the seller and never be back as a return customer! 

There is no work around for the seller anywhere to salvage the transaction, I would encourage all buyers to contact the sellers in regards to this so they can attempt to help you and provide the buyer a good experience.

So before you begin firing arrows unfairly at the seller consider the above issue and redirect you aim.

On a side note the aspect of a seller being able to combine a buyers items was straight forward and simple, with the ONLY hang up being if the buyer had paid for any of the items he wanted to combine BEFORE the cart was invented and tossed into the system.....the old adage of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies here. Times are getting hard and everyone is trying their best to save a dollar everywhere they can.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I agree 100% tired of being nickle and dimed. I only buy from sellers who refund or combine shipping up front. I am repeat customer with most of the vendors and they gladly combine or refund excess shipping costs. Sellers who refuse to do so only hurt themselves from any repeat sales or recommendations. E-bay should take a closer look at these loose shipping cost  policies.Their are some great sellers here and i enjoy buying from them very much.

Happy New Year

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Just contact me. I will take care of any combined shipping, but you won't "back-talk" me😁 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

If you are buying from a seller with free shipping, how do expect a discount? 

Also, you are taking into consideration the type of shipping that is involved.  I could not send you a book and an apron together.  The book goes media mail, but the apron does not qualify.  It would have to go ground advantage.  I don't pad my prices to be able to give a discount if I shipped both ground advantage in one package.  There would be no discount.  

You also probably aren't aware that sellers pay a fee on the shipping cost and the tax that you are charged.  Shipping isn't free and neither are shipping supplies.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 12 of 12
latest reply