cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to return "defective" item

I sold a bluetooth device that is not compatible with my new phone, it still works and worked before I shipped it out, but my buyer is saying it won't pair with their phone and calling it defective. I know for a fact it paired with my old phone before I sold both of them, but of course there's no way to prove that. The seller gave me their phone model and from what I researched, it won't pair because of a compatibility issue, though the seller says they have "many others" of the same model that they bought from me. My original listing said no returns, so I'm wondering if I'm screwed or if I have a chance at fighting it? I've never ran into this issue in my many years of selling, I don't know why someone would knowingly sell something that was broken knowing they would run into this issue, and I definitely would not.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You lose, sorry.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@roxy.seasalt.13 wrote:

The seller gave me their phone model and from what I researched, it won't pair because of a compatibility issue, though the seller says they have "many others" of the same model that they bought from me. My original listing said no returns, so I'm wondering if I'm screwed or if I have a chance at fighting it?

Your listing says that the device has "universal" compatibility.  So, if it doesn't pair with the buyer's device, then indeed it is a Not as Described case.

Your only option is to accept the return and refund once received.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Just out of curiousity, why did you list it as "universal compatability" when it wasn't compatable with your phone? Universal means it fits all phones.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I didn't list it that way intentionally, it auto filled and I didn't notice because usually it gets the correct info when it auto fills. Had to give a partial refund to the buyer, despite being told by eBay that I wouldn't due to compatibility. Oh well, eBay always sides with the buyer.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Put yourself in your buyer's shoes. What would you like to happen?

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@roxy.seasalt.13 wrote:

I didn't list it that way intentionally, it auto filled and I didn't notice because usually it gets the correct info when it auto fills. Had to give a partial refund to the buyer, despite being told by eBay that I wouldn't due to compatibility. Oh well, eBay always sides with the buyer.

So you admit the listing is incorrect, yet only gave a partial refund to your buyer? Wow

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@roxy.seasalt.13 wrote:

It's your job to double check.

In this case I would have to agree with eBay siding with the buyer

Message 8 of 8
latest reply