cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to return item 1 year, 1 month, 10 days after purchase!

This has to be about the craziest thing I've had to deal with in ten years selling.

Sale was date 8/5/2016...so well over a year ago. We offered 30 day returns and 90 day warranty on it, and everything else we sell. I heard nothing from the buyer until I received a rude/ threatening message from him yesterday (9/13/17).

The item we sold was a new old stock boat part that had never been used or installed (very easy to tell if it was). This was a $1000.00 item so not cheap. The buyers story is he carried it as a spare for a year, only now needed to call it into service and apparently it's faulty. Further he accused me of selling a used item as new, and called me a fraud. Now keep in mind it was still in the factory box and wrapped up when I sent it, obviously not used and I think he knows that. Not sure that anyone would spend a 1000 bucks to have a back up anything, so it's more likely he's been using it, maybe even improperly, and broke it.

He threatened getting ebay involved which I'm sure they will find comical 13 months after the sale.

Anyways I'm just debating on whether I'm better off ignoring him or responding, and how. I know I'm not on the hook at all, but I'd hate it if he goes off site and posts defamatory stuff about my company so I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@onthereel wrote:

...He threatened getting ebay involved which I'm sure they will find comical 13 months after the sale.

Anyways I'm just debating on whether I'm better off ignoring him or responding, and how. I know I'm not on the hook at all, but I'd hate it if he goes off site and posts defamatory stuff about my company so I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas?

It's not all the comical, it happens every once in a while and in some cases is successful. The buyers MBG through eBay is dead after 30 days, PayPal 180 days BUT he can do a credit card chargeback and since the item was fairly expensive, once could assume it was paid for with a credit card.

Chargebacks typically go 90 days to year (depending on the card), however one that I know (that I use) goes two years at the minimum. If successful, you'd have to pay return shipping, refund 100% AND pay PayPal a $20 chargeback fee. The biggest problem with chargeback is you (the seller) have no access to the credit card company, all correspondence goes through PayPal, so it's hard to fight a SNAD chargeback.

Still, with all that being siad, if there is no case open, there is no problem in my opinion. I would not respond and block.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Ignore him and put him on your blocked bidder list. Let eBay give him the bad news that he's SOL 🙂

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

sleeping send him one of these .

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Wow. Just when you thought you'd heard everything!😱

Belle
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

We've heard this one before...

My advice to you is IGNORE!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I took everyone's advice and ignored & blocked. I've heard nothing more from him yet, so hopefully this is settled.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

First I'd add this idiot to your blocked bidder list ASAP. I don't know either if I'd respond? Any negative comment from that guy is actually a complement so I wouln't worry about anything he has to say. I would also see if I could add a follow up to his orriginal feedback and the one you left for him also! Might be too late but worth a try. If he wants to complain to big brother eBay... offer to give him their phone # .. LOL

Joshua Trenge
Message 8 of 8
latest reply