cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to return an item sold as not working/needs repair.

I recently sold a lens and it was listed as for parts/repair, I added clear images of the item and stated I had no way to test it since I didn't have the right kind of camera. I made no claims to the items condition other than what could be seen in the images.

The buyer receives the item and......Drum roll please.....complains that the item wasn't described well enough for him to realise that it needed maintenance.

I spoke with ebay for half an hour and it seems that no matter what condition the lens is listed in the buyer can still return it...even in parts/repair.

Did I get a newbie phone person or is this the state of affairs right now on ebay?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@dagor77 wrote:

Did I get a newbie phone person or is this the state of affairs right now on ebay?

Depends on the CSR, and the day. The rules may be changing while I type this so who really knows. All ebay policy is just rolling dice blind now.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Try calling again and speaking with another rep.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

@dagor77 wrote:

Depends on the CSR, and the day. The rules may be changing while I type this so who really knows. All ebay policy is just rolling dice blind now.

So true, didn't a seller just win a case similiar to this 2 days ago.......

Wow, the rules sure change fast around here.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I have dealt with this. The short answer is the buyer will win this. Even if sold as parts only, as is, untested, returns not accepted, all they have to say is something is different than you described and there is no burden on the buyer to have to prove anything.  You can use every synonym in the book for broken, inoperable, salvage, etc., Buyer could simply say the color is wrong, or the quality is different than I expected or any other subjective term of assessment they want and you will be at fault.  Not only will you have to accept the return, you will also habe to pay to ship it back. The buyer can also send it back completely destroyed and unless you offer free return shipping you will be out everything. If you do offer free returns, you could recover up to 50% of the sales price.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

@dagor77 wrote:

It’s not changing rules. It all depends on the CSR and what the listing says. Because this type of listing is still covered by the MBG and while a seller won 2 days ago, another one also lost. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

@dagor77 wrote:

It’s not changing rules. It all depends on the CSR and what the listing says. Because this type of listing is still covered by the MBG and while a seller won 2 days ago, another one also lost. 

If one CSR can be this completely opposite of what another CSR just stated....then ebay needs to re-open ebay university, but this time for their own employees.  

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I called ebay again and they said I need to call back on the 18th to escalate the case, I've had mostly bad results with that move given how ebay skews things but at this point I've nothing to lose.

I'll keep ya'll posted 🙂

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

@dagor77 wrote:

Changing rules or no rules. Pick your poison. The results are the same.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

LATEST UPDATE....

After more calls to ebay I was told to call back on the 18th to escalate the case so imagine my surprise when I opened my Email today and read a message from ebay....they're taking it upon themselves to 'speed the process up'(their words) and send a return label to the buyer. I immediately contacted Ebay to complain/stop this and was told that 'There's nothing they can do and I have to wait till the item is returned to appeal the case'.

I think you all know where this is headed but I'll write the final result when its finished.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

@dagor77 wrote:

If one CSR can be this completely opposite of what another CSR just stated....then ebay needs to re-open ebay university, but this time for their own employees.  

This isn't new lol I think we all know that if a rep says that there is absolutely zero way of doing this. That their system wouldn't even give them an option. That it's impossible. That it's against every rule they have. You just have to call back and get another rep, that will instantly solve your problem.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@dagor77 wrote:

LATEST UPDATE....

After more calls to ebay I was told to call back on the 18th to escalate the case so imagine my surprise when I opened my Email today and read a message from ebay....they're taking it upon themselves to 'speed the process up'(their words) and send a return label to the buyer. I immediately contacted Ebay to complain/stop this and was told that 'There's nothing they can do and I have to wait till the item is returned to appeal the case'.

I think you all know where this is headed but I'll write the final result when its finished.

The only thing a rep can do, is refund you the return shipping costs. Anyone can return anything, for any reason. The rep told me the person can literally say they are ripping you off, and ebay will still side with them.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Well in the end the buyer was able to return the item but I didn't have to pay shipping either to or from the buyer, ebay refunded me that.

I should mention that the buyer used images to show the purported reason he wanted to return the lens ie it had dust and fungus...what might have helped his case was if he actually took pictures of the lens I sold him! I pointed this out to ebay and it was a slam-dunk moment where they took my side.

The sad part is that this buyer replaced two cells of the lens with ones that have separation that clearly show up in room light but the original elements are clean and clear in the pics I took.

At this point I know ebay won't do jack $hit about that so I'm not even gonna fight it, so there yah go, not exactly a loss but hardly a win.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply