cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants me to refund shipping since it is taking longer than it was supposed to for delivery

Am I somehow liable for slow delivery by USPS?
My buyer wants me to refund the shipping because he didn't receive the item by the USPS stated date.

I shipped it on time and everything, the package just took a detour clear across the USA for some reason.  It was shipped via Priority Mail from Oregon to California.  It went to CA then for some unknown reason detoured to Nebraska.
What should I do?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Buyer wants me to refund shipping since it is taking longer than it was supposed to for delivery

Apologize and recommend they contact eBay as you do not participate in the guaranteed delivery program.

@Anonymous  I hope there is some sort of plan in place for dealing with this issue.  It's going to come up a lot!

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Had the same thing happen to me.  Buyer in Descanso, California sent me Ebay message 1 day after ESTIMATED delivery date demanding refund of shipping costs.  Looking at his feedback left, it appears that he makes this a habit.  I messaged back that I would contact the USPS and look into where the package is and see if I could hurry it along for him.  He messaged back that although he would still rate this transaction POSITVELY but if I don't refund the shipping cost that my shipping time star would have to be rated HONESTLY on his part.  The package was delivered a few days later.  He left me positive feedback (helpful seller, packed expertly, as described) then went on to trash not only my shipping time star but also my shipping and handling charges star.  My shipping time star was automatically (in a few days) reverted back to 5.0 stars because I shipped within my 1 day handling time but my shipping and handling charges star remains trashed at 4.7 stars.  I am a low volume seller so every rating totally effects my stars.  As far as I know (which isn't far), there is nothing that can be done about buyers trashing your stars over ESTIMATED...I repeat...ESTIMATED delivery times.  So in the end, if you don't cave in to these scamming $%&!s they will find some way to get even with you.  My advice...don't cave and feel good about yourself and find some comfort in that you are a better person than your buyer.  Although this advice does nothing for your trashed stars and possible loss of revenue when your buyer takes it a step further and files a false SNAD all in an attempt to get even for ESTIMATED delivery times.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

Apologize and recommend they contact eBay as you do not participate in the guaranteed delivery program.

@Anonymous  I hope there is some sort of plan in place for dealing with this issue.  It's going to come up a lot!

Why does ebay need a plan? If it wasn't a guaranteed delivery purchase then ebay doesn't owe anybody anything neither does the seller. The USPS date is not guaranteed and neither is ebay's delivery estimate. Ebay isn't going to come up with a plan. The buyer should buy from sellers that participate in the guaranteed delivery program if they want a guarantee.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

You aren't obligated to refund the buyer. Neither ebay or USPS guarantee delivery on regular priority mail and ebay only estimates the delivery date. Seems he's learned how to take advantage of sellers and unfortunately some sellers here will gladly issue a refund to avoid bad feedback and don't realize (or don't care) that they are encouraging the buyer to do this every time the delivery ESTIMATE is missed.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

modulok - you need to know that the star ratings no longer count for anything in your eBay ratings.  They don't affect you at all.  Report the buyer for extortion and put him on your Blocked Bidder List. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:

modulok - you need to know that the star ratings no longer count for anything in your eBay ratings.  They don't affect you at all.  Report the buyer for extortion and put him on your Blocked Bidder List. 

yes -- that's exactly what i was going to post.  it is TRUE -- the star ratings do not count as far as ebay is concerned -- they have stated that.  as long as it looks quite positive to the buyers, no worries.  if i were a buyer and aaw 3 stars or less, i would run.  but a 4.7 is quite common.  and since ebay doesn't care...don't let the star part worry you.

as to the feedback extortion...i agree -- i would deal with that since you never PROMISED a delivery date.

are buyers used to getting shipping refunds from other retailers?  does anyone know how common it is for retailers to refund shipping if not delivered by a certain date? given how many retailers do free shipping, i don't know if buyers would expect that or not?

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:

Yes I know that the stars no longer count against sellers (nor do negs and neuts) - for now, knowing Ebay that could again change in the future at the drop of a hat.  It just sux though.  As I always ship within my stated handling time and always charge the buyer EXACT shipping via calculated shipping.  Even if it doesn't count it still sux.  I consider myself lucky that my buyer didn't cause me more issues than what he did - could have filed a false SNAD and I would have been paying him back the original shipping plus on the hook for the return shipping as well for something that could have been intentionally damaged or switched out.  Sadly the way Ebay is, I have to consider myself lucky, very lucky,  in that regard.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

USPS does not have a stated date and I have learned this from them The Priority 2 Day or 3 Day Air is an approximation. They have told me they have 5 Business days. I have a package right now that will be 8 Days on Monday. Have opened a case. USPS has informed me that after 5 Business days the only thing they do is open a case. It takes 2 or 3 days and if they can not locate the package, you can file an insurance claim. The only mail that is going to arrive on time is Priority Express. Offer that option to your buyers. You are not liable for something that is out of your control!! Open a case with USPS, be involved and helpful but, if you have done everything right the buyer is extorting from you. Report that. If an insurance claim does get filed, I have offered my buyer their money back or a replacement. My advice: stay on top of tracking and be in constant contact with your buyer to let them know how and when to expect their package. How late was his package? A few days, than that is laughable. No merchant will guarantee delivery unless you pay for it. He did not! Block that buyer. You don't need the headache.
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Dear Buyer,

I am sorry that it is taking a little longer than normal for your package to arrive. These are ESTIMATED delivery times and not a guaranteed delivery date. I will keep an eye on the tracking for this and if for some reason it does not arrive you will be out no expense.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I bypass these issues by not providing exact shipping method. Instead I just put economy/standard/expedited as the shipping options.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

Why does ebay need a plan? If it wasn't a guaranteed delivery purchase then ebay doesn't owe anybody anything neither does the seller. The USPS date is not guaranteed and neither is ebay's delivery estimate. Ebay isn't going to come up with a plan. The buyer should buy from sellers that participate in the guaranteed delivery program if they want a guarantee.

eBay is setting an expectation that items have a guaranteed delivery date.  Most buyers are not going to understand that the delivery guarantee only applies if the Seller is participating.  eBay needs to have it's staff trained to explain this in simple English. 

Personally I think anyone who enrolls in the version of guaranteed delivery where the seller pays the buyer back if its late are fools, but I'm not putting myself at risk.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

eBay is setting an expectation that items have a guaranteed delivery date.  Most buyers are not going to understand that the delivery guarantee only applies if the Seller is participating.  eBay needs to have it's staff trained to explain this in simple English. 

Personally I think anyone who enrolls in the version of guaranteed delivery where the seller pays the buyer back if its late are fools, but I'm not putting myself at risk.

No they aren't. They have had an estimated delivery date on every listing for years. They aren't setting an guaranteed delivery date expectation. If the listing doesn't guarantee delivery then it's completely on the buyer for expecting something that wasn't on the listing. Buyers have been wanting shipping refunds in this situation for years, this is nothing new and there's nothing for eBay to address. 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@kim_y_buran wrote:
I bypass these issues by not providing exact shipping method. Instead I just put economy/standard/expedited as the shipping options.

Whenever I see that I hit the back button.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

No they aren't. They have had an estimated delivery date on every listing for years. They aren't setting an guaranteed delivery date expectation. 

Actually ebay is adding a guaranteed delivery date which will go into effect soon.

Of course a seller doesn't have to opt into that program, but with the swipe of a button, those sellers listing will disappear in the blink of an eye. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply