cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer does not want to provide shipping address via eBay messages

This has probably been asked before countless times - what should I do in the event that hypothetically, a buyer asks me to reach out to them via phone or email to get their shipping address? (Rather than do so via the eBay messaging platform, where they originally made the request for phone/email)

Something about that situation would read to me as suspicious, like they don't want a record of the confirmed destination address in a location where eBay would be able to see it. I would simply ask that they provide the info via eBay DMs, but at what point do I just ship it to the address on their profile? I might be reading too much into it, but with scams these days people are rather creative and I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You see a buyer's shipping address after they make payment, there is no need for them to send a message to give you the address.   You shouldn't ship to an address other than the one that you receive with payment.

If a buyer wants you to give them your email address, text, or phone before the transaction has completed, it is likely a scam.  They should be using the ebay messaging system.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You see a buyer's shipping address after they make payment, there is no need for them to send a message to give you the address.   You shouldn't ship to an address other than the one that you receive with payment.

If a buyer wants you to give them your email address, text, or phone before the transaction has completed, it is likely a scam.  They should be using the ebay messaging system.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

DONT do ANYTHING outside of the eBay system. Do not message by external means, and do not exchange money outside of eBay payments.

You void all protections, and more than that, set yourself up for serious financial implications if you expose your account info or ID.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

As soon as I saw this question, I knew that you were a newbie.   You tell them to take a hike.  I have been here since 1998 and I have never had to chat with a seller before I bought an item.  (My 2 other Ebay accounts total over 11,000+ feedbacks!)

I have not seen what you are selling either but I bet it is something pricey and electronic. A scammers favorite object from the type of seller that they love to prey upon.

Please add this text to ALL of your descriptions. Make sure that you follow this and not deviate if you want to succeed here.

ALL payments MUST go through the Ebay PAY NOW button. ALL payments WILL be verified in MY EBAY.  ALL items will be shipped ONLY to the address provided by Ebay at the time of the payment. ALL questions must be asked PRIOR to bidding and ONLY through Ebay.  I pick the carrier.  

If you do NOT know what MY EBAY is , learn before you list anything else.  Have you signed up with MANAGED PAYMENTS? Have you provided Ebay with a bank account number? Has it been verified?

Keep in mind that ebay holds new sellers" payments for up to 30 days.  If you print through Ebay shipping, the exact amount of the shipping is released to pay for the shipping label.  Goodluck.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Also be aware of any scam where the buyer asks you to ship Fed Ex or UPS.   If they ask you to include a gift card, direct them to Walmart or the Post office.  If they ask you to ship to Grandma's house or some other sob story, ignore.    If your item sells for 750 or higher, you MUST add SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION and YOU have to pay for this service inorder to protect your seller rights.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

A buyers shipping address will be in the order. Never, ever, use a shipping address other than what is with the payment or you will lose any seller protection eBay. Calling a buyer is also not necessary since all info a seller needs is in the sale. 
Transactions occur tens of thousands of times within eBay and never do the buyer and seller ever have to communicate in any other fashion other than through eBay messaging system. 
if eBay’s messaging system picks up on you and the your buyer attempting  to do an off eBay transaction, eBay will charge a fee for it and collect the funds from your available funds or take it from your bank. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@jonapie-687 wrote: ...  what should I do in the event that hypothetically, a buyer asks me to reach out to them via phone or email to get their shipping address? (Rather than do so via the eBay messaging platform, where they originally made the request for phone/email) ... . I would simply ask that they provide the info via eBay DMs ...

Even an address provided through eBay messaging is not valid. You must only ship to the address that is attached to the payment. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@jonapie-687 wrote:

This has probably been asked before countless times - what should I do in the event that hypothetically, a buyer asks me to reach out to them via phone or email to get their shipping address? (Rather than do so via the eBay messaging platform, where they originally made the request for phone/email)

Something about that situation would read to me as suspicious, like they don't want a record of the confirmed destination address in a location where eBay would be able to see it. I would simply ask that they provide the info via eBay DMs, but at what point do I just ship it to the address on their profile? I might be reading too much into it, but with scams these days people are rather creative and I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. Thanks!

The ONLY address that matters is the one with the payment, and it is given to you by Ebay in the order details.  Scammers will try to get you to take the sale off of eBay, or get your personal information so they can send you a fake payment email, hoping you are too new and naive to verify that you have actually been paid. No LEGITIMATE buyer needs that information.

Here are some red flags to watch out for.

1. Buyer asks for your email address, Paypal address
2. Buyer sends you a phone number to text/call him/her
3. Buyer asks you to buy gift cards to go with the order
4. Buyer asks you to send the item to a different address after paying
5. Buyer wants you to send the item overnight/express and will pay you a lot extra to do this
6. Buyers says that they cannot pay through the eBay website and sends you a link to click on so that the payment will go through
7. Buyer offers more for your item than the price you have it listed for

If ANY of the above happen, do not contact the buyer or respond to any messages from them. Block them here: https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerBlock This will prevent them from buying from you.

If they actually purchased, after four full days do an unpaid item cancellation. You can do that here: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/cancelling-transaction?id=4136 Once you do that you can relist.

Also report the buyer: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/reporting-issue-buyer?id=4084 Use the reason "asking to complete a sale off eBay".

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

l the buyer this via Ebay messaging: "I ONLY ship to the confirmed shipping address on your order. If I change that address at all, you will lose all Ebay buyer protections"

YOU will also lose all your seller protections too. AND ONLY communicate via Ebay messages... no phone, text, Facebook etc. You want everything documented through Ebay.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Another red flag is if they ask you to include a gift card or any other trinket and they agree to send you extra money.   If they ask you to ship by Fed EX or UPS it's because if you use USPS and they get caught, they are charged with a FEDERAL crime.   Fed EX and UPS are not regulated by the federal government. 

Remember to verify your payment in MY Ebay.  If it is NOT there, you did NOT get payment.   

Finally,  your payment WILL NEVER SAY paypal.     ALL buyers are paid through MANAGED PAYMENTS.  NO seller knows exactly what type of payment the buyer sent. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply