cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims they didn’t receive item

Hello and happy new year! 
Okay so here’s an issue I had/have…

I sold a vinyl, label was uploaded on time and dropped off at my local USPS office on time. The tracking showed in transit then the customer informs me that he’d never received said vinyl. I looked into it and tracking said “delayed” after three weeks of not receiving his vinyl he then left negative feedback stating “three weeks and still no package…TRASH”. This was in no way my fault, the package had left my hands and USPS was in possession of the package and this was all out of my control. Why won’t eBay take down the negative feedback? I asked them to remove it and they said the comment didn’t go against eBay policy. We all know how badly negative feedback can effect sales. Is there anything else that I can do? And P.S. I also offered the customer another exact copy of vinyl should I come across one, AND offered it for FREE AND FREE SHIPPING on top of it! Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

And P.S. I also offered the customer another exact copy of vinyl should I come across one, AND offered it for FREE AND FREE SHIPPING on top of it!

I hope the buyer does not take you up on this.

There is a reason it's called the Money BackGuarantee.

Has he filed an Item Not Received Claim?

If he has, refund.

It's not your fault, but it is your responsibility.

If he has not, stop communicating. There is a good chance that he has the record, but that USPS did not update their records.

And that he is looking to get his payment and the record.

It is also possible that he has done this so often before that he is no longer allowed to make claims under the MBG.

Cut your losses.

You are advertising with your responses that you will replace (if possible) items lost in transit. Don't tell the world. It's okay to tell the buyer but keep it private.

Now.

EBay does not use feedback to assess member accounts.

Most buyers think 95% is an A+.

So the feedback is best left without comment. Let the angry customer look ...over refreshed.

But

Not refunding promptly when there is an open Claim can lead to a Defect on your account, and that means higher  fees, restrictions on the number and value of your listings, or even a closed selling account.

Never ignore a Claim.

Tell an unhappy buyer to open a Claim.  Scammers generally won't.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You are somewhat correct. While it's not your fault, it's still your problem.  It's the seller that has to make good if the item is not delivered.   Next time just issue a full refund when a package goes missing.  In some cases a call to the USPS 800 number on their web site can get a package found and delivered.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Like another stated, after two weeks in the mail you should have contacted  USPS (via phone or online form) and inquired about the location of the package.  Many times, they can research and locate the package and then it is on its way to the buyer.  You could have contacted the buyer and explained the situation and kept them in the loop.  Too bad the buyer could not work with you on this one.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I definitely kept the buyer in the loop. I suppose he was just someone who couldn’t understand that things happen. Thank you. If anything like this happens again I’ll be sure to do that. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you.  Maybe when the item finally arrives, you can ask the buyer to ask eBay to remove the negative?  I'm not sure if it can be done, but I think the buyer can do the follow up or edit feedback and say that you came through with the item.  During the holidays, there is always a possibility of slow delivery, lost or misplaced packages.   Some buyers just don't understand.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

And P.S. I also offered the customer another exact copy of vinyl should I come across one, AND offered it for FREE AND FREE SHIPPING on top of it!

I hope the buyer does not take you up on this.

There is a reason it's called the Money BackGuarantee.

Has he filed an Item Not Received Claim?

If he has, refund.

It's not your fault, but it is your responsibility.

If he has not, stop communicating. There is a good chance that he has the record, but that USPS did not update their records.

And that he is looking to get his payment and the record.

It is also possible that he has done this so often before that he is no longer allowed to make claims under the MBG.

Cut your losses.

You are advertising with your responses that you will replace (if possible) items lost in transit. Don't tell the world. It's okay to tell the buyer but keep it private.

Now.

EBay does not use feedback to assess member accounts.

Most buyers think 95% is an A+.

So the feedback is best left without comment. Let the angry customer look ...over refreshed.

But

Not refunding promptly when there is an open Claim can lead to a Defect on your account, and that means higher  fees, restrictions on the number and value of your listings, or even a closed selling account.

Never ignore a Claim.

Tell an unhappy buyer to open a Claim.  Scammers generally won't.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply