cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Initiated Refund Using "Changed Mind", I Accepted, Now Says Item Is Broken?

I have been a light seller for several years and generally have had very few issues. Yesterday a buyer opened a return request on a MIDI keyboard using the "changed mind" return option. They said had a similar product which they thought broke but found it was still functional after my item arrived. They asked me to have mercy as they have no job and they, of course, have no feedback history and a very new account (1 month). 

Though my listing was marked as "No Returns" I decided to accept the return rather than risk an escalation, bad feedback or an item not as described dispute on the condition that the buyer pay return shipping. Now I almost wish that I had just tried a denial. After I accept the return I see a message in my inbox, not the return case, that states that not only did they change their mind, but that the item is also broken anyway and arrived as such so they don't wish to pay a return shipping fee. The item is quite heavy with the shipping fee equalling roughly half of the original purchase price and since my original listing was free shipping I'm already going to eat the original shipping fee. Needless to say, I have my doubts, about the item truly being broken. I tested it before shipping and it was in great shape. I fear that he is only claiming damage to avoid the return shipping. The return is already initiated under the original “Changed Mind” reason and says that he has until the 26th to mail the item. What's my move here? Should I simply state that he is responsible for the return shipping or say nothing, run out the clock and then call a CSR to close the case in my favor (if that’s even possible)? Assuming of course, that I don't receive the item. I’m just stuck here frankly.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Buyer Initiated Refund Using "Changed Mind", I Accepted, Now Says Item Is Broken?

Absolutely, go completely silent, then call eBay on the 27th if there's no tracking, get the case closed in your favor, no defect, and buyer cannot leave feedback.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@te_1556 wrote:

Absolutely, go completely silent, then call eBay on the 27th if there's no tracking, get the case closed in your favor, no defect, and buyer cannot leave feedback.

^^ This is what I would do as well ...

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Add BBL to the list.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Its simple really.  THEIR keyboard IS broken.  You will have the pleasure of verifying this when you receive THEIR broken keyboard back instead of YOUR functioning keyboard.  Put on your best happy face and get ready to refund - fun isn't it?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I wouldn't go silent.  It's the whole "do unto others" thing that would make me not go silent.  The buyer is clearly changing his claim because of shipping costs.  I think that is obvious.  I don't think at this point that eBay will buy his story.  Just reply with the truth as nicely as possible and do what you are supposed to do.  It sounds to me like it is very possible that he is planning on sending you his similar item that he "thought" was broken.  Of course you can't assume that.  You must wait and see.

I don't think buyers always let it sink into their heads that "free" shipping isn't really free.  It means the seller will pay the shipping and calculate it into the cost of the item.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

That very well may work.  I don't think it is the ethical thing to do, however.  Just tell the buyer the truth.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I suspect the same.  I hope we are wrong.  Of course no one should accuse the buyer until it actually happens.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I accidentally omitted a detail from my original post, I apologize. I did answer his initial private message claim by stating that the buyer is responsible for return shipping in return cases with the given reason "changed mind" and that I would refund the original purchase price after I received and inspected the item. However, the buyer continues to assert that the device is broken and therefore he should not have to pay. I should have specified that detail as "say nothing" makes it look as if I ignored the buyer completely after the initial return was approved.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply