cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Acceptance for Returns and Bad Buyers

Right after automatic acceptance went live, I had a buyer request to return an item. She stated in her request that she had worn the item that I sold new with tags. If I would have had the chance, I would have refused the return. I received the item today. It had been worn and washed, and the tags were missing. Ebay expects me to refund the money, but I don't think I should have to because of her using the item. 

What should I do now? Do I report her? What will happen if I do?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@hannas_sock_house_02 wrote:

I changed all my listings to NO Returns AFTER this happened. It was a new with tags pair of socks. She wore them, then returned them, so they are not in the same condition that she received them. According to what I've read, this is not allowed, and I should report her.

You can report the buyer, there is a link on the listing, but it most likely will have zero effect on your issue. Although buyers have to return items in the same condition as received, this policy is rarely enforced by eBay. The majority of your items are low cost, I suggest you BLOCK this buyer and move on in life. 

Since you HAD a return policy at the time of purchase, eBay expects sellers to accept returns according to their return policy. This is true for ANY return policy on eBay except "No Returns" which if you had that policy at the time of purchase and the same buyer opened the same "buyers remorse" return, you would have seen an option to decline the return.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Right after automatic acceptance went live, I had a buyer request to return an item. She stated in her request that she had worn the item that I sold new with tags. If I would have had the chance, I would have refused the return. I received the item today. It had been worn and washed, and the tags were missing. Ebay expects me to refund the money, but I don't think I should have to because of her using the item. 

What should I do now? Do I report her? What will happen if I do?

Automatic acceptance is only for buyers remorse, and you'd have to accept it anyway under your return policy. I looked at a number of your listings and they were all "No Returns" policy.

Assuming that was the policy on this item, I have to assume it was a SNAD return and in most cases (unless you know how to fight with eBay), you have to accept it back anyway. Was this SNAD? If it was, did you accept the return or did you let it timeout? (I hope not)

BTW, reporting buyers does nothing IMO unless 100's do the same buyer.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I changed all my listings to NO Returns AFTER this happened. It was a new with tags pair of socks. She wore them, then returned them, so they are not in the same condition that she received them. According to what I've read, this is not allowed, and I should report her.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You can report the buyer, there is a link on the listing, but it most likely will have zero effect on your issue. Although buyers have to return items in the same condition as received, this policy is rarely enforced by eBay. The majority of your items are low cost, I suggest you BLOCK this buyer and move on in life. 

Since you HAD a return policy at the time of purchase, eBay expects sellers to accept returns according to their return policy. This is true for ANY return policy on eBay except "No Returns" which if you had that policy at the time of purchase and the same buyer opened the same "buyers remorse" return, you would have seen an option to decline the return.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I changed all my listings to NO Returns AFTER this happened.

Unless what this buyer did is a very common occurrence,  I'd say this was most likely a bad idea and will probably hurt YOU more in the long run.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Your "Policy" is irrelevant. If you accept 14 day returns, they've got 14 days, and returns will be accepted regardless of the buyer's reason, or the seller's "additional return requirements". That's what eBay told me.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Ebay is for the buyer, not the seller. Buyers make false claims all the time, so they don't have to pay the postage for returns. I have "no returns," but still get notices from ebay that I have to accept the return. Time to move somewhere else, I suppose.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply