cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempting to sort out a purchase issue

Hi,

I recently purchased a piece of furniture.  The seller advertised it as in excellent overall condition but it has multiple problems, is unusable at present and is indeed a small project. 

I sent a message to the seller who offered me £20 refund which I rejected as the materials to put this right will cost more than £20.

She then said that I hadn't paid for the courier fees and put in a request via paypal of £50 minus £20 so wanted £30 in total.  I have never paid for a courier via an ebay purchase and actually thought, seeing that I had received the item 5 days previously, that the payment had been taken.  She had asked for my email address and I thought that she would be able to make a claim but in fact, ok stupid, it is obviously if she were making a payment not taking it out.  I honestly had no idea.

She is now bombarding me with messages asking for the courier fees but to be honest, I haven't received an invoice or seen one from the courier and i do not feel like sending it.  

I have now asked that the £50 be waived and I keep the item but she keeps coming back to me saying that I had an agreement with her.

I have spoken to ebay and paypal who have both said that I can ignore her requests as I legally purchased the item and it was her responsibility to take payment before sending the item.  However, I am feeling morally obliged.

I have spoken about sending it back (altho really I do not want to do this) and one has said that she will have to pay for the courier taking it back but another said the opposite.  They also pressurised me to send a return request.

However, I do not want to send it back but keeping it and paying for the courier fees is going to make me massively our of pocket.  I also paid £100 for it to be in excellent condition.  It will take time and money to put it right.

Weirdly she hasn't even asked for photos to prove it's poor condition.  

Not sure what to do or where I stand.

If I put forward a return and she accepts, do I have to send it back?

Will she have to pay for the return courier?

thank you

Can anyone help me on this please.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You are not morally obligated to pay any extra courier fees.  It sounds as she is saying that to make you  ‘forget’ about the unexpected damage.  You would be best to check on the UK boards as this is the US board but based on the rules here, the seller would be obligated to accept and pay for a return if you filed an item not as described return request.  

It’s possible that if you did file a claim that she would offer another partial refund so that she wouldn’t have to pay for the return shipping.  If she did accept the return and sent a label, you wouldn’t be forced to send it back but you wouldn’t receive any type of refund.  If she refused the return it or refused to send a label you could ask ebay to step in and they would likely force a return and/or refund 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.  She isn't asking me to pay any extra courier fees.  She shipped the item to me and then 5 days later has asked for payment.  I did originally say that I would pay for the courier but she didn't include it in the listing and sent the item before she took or asked for the payment.  She is only now asking for the courier fees 5 days after she shipped the item.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

1. Illustrates perfectly the reason that most heavy furniture should be local pickup only.

2. You are registered in the UK, so you need to pursue your issue at eBay.co.uk. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply