cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Shipping Labels

With an upcoming shipment, I plan to create a label online for the first time and just want to understand the process better.

My understanding is that it is cheaper to do it this way plus it appears to be the only way to simultaneously have insurance and signature confirmation, as the P.O. software that the clerk uses doesn't allow both for the same package. I was planning to do this in PayPal but see that eBay also offers the option.

1.  Is there a difference/advantage to create a shipping label in eBay vs. PayPal?

2. It used to be there were separate little forms taped to the package for sig. confirm. etc. If you create a label online do you get separate forms for these or are all the options now encoded in the barcode?

3. Any disadvantage or possible issues with creating a label online and printing it vs getting the postage at the P.O. ?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Creating Shipping Labels

Hope That your sale goes off without issues, I worry whenever I see an item sold for that much here
Take extra care not to get scammed

Make sure you log into Paypal to make sure payment is there, never change deliver address after sale
Use address that is on the Paypal transaction page & says confirmed

Many use ebay or Paypal for labels.
I use ebay , You pick the amount of insurance coverage amount & signature confirmation  during the label printing process.
Also  ebay often has Shipcover picked, you can use drop down and Pick USPS coverage
Check off box next to insurance & check off box next to signature confirmation
I also always uncheck (display postage on label box)

Good luck

labels insurance 1.jpg

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Creating Shipping Labels

There's just formatting difference between PayPal and eBay, but the end results are still the same.  I use eBay shpping.  I think it's formatting is a little easier to navigate.

The package will say "Signature Tracking" right above the barcode instead the regular delivery confirmation verbiage.   Even though it's supposed to alert the carrier when they scan it, many moons ago, 2x carriers fail to obtain it.   I have neon file folder stickers that I write "Signature Confirmation Req'd" on and stick it right below/beside the label tracking info  and tape over the whole shooting match.  None have been missed since.

There is no disadvantage to buying online vs buying at the PO as long as you have an accurate scale/weight.  

For that value, I would make sure it got an acceptance scan - either at the counter or from your carrier.  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Creating Shipping Labels

1.  PayPal doesn't offer some of the newer USPS Priority Mail packaging options (Regional boxes, Legal flat-rate envelope).  If you're a Top-Rated Seller, then you must ship trough eBay in order to get the Commercial Plus rates for Priority Mail, which offers more automatic insurance ($100 vs $50) and costs 3% less.

2.  No more separate forms; they're all in the barcode.

3. Postage at the PO is almost certain to get a timely Acceptance scan; sometimes online package labels don't.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Creating Shipping Labels

Thanks all for the info - very helpful.

One other question. I see in labs118's post that there's a checkbox "Package contains mailable hazardous materials." I will be shipping two lithium batteries. Only one is installed in the item. The other one will be clipped into the charger, but my local P.O. clerk said that does not qualify as being "installed in the item." Do I check this box, or is it referring to chemicals and such?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Creating Shipping Labels

Hazmat definitely includes some lithium batteries (not just scary pure lithium like in high-school chemistry demonstrations).  The USPS special manual on hazmat has a couple of sections about lithium batteries, see 349.221 and 349.222:

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_026.htm

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Creating Shipping Labels

Okay, so I guess I have to check that box.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply