Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the selling of music cds

what is the best way to sell music cds?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

the selling of music cds

Ummm, in what way?  You just list them.   You're going to need to be more specific with your question. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

the selling of music cds

Everything depends on what CDs you're trying to sell. Sometimes individually is the best option while other times selling in lots by genre or singer/group.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

the selling of music cds

@walkav0 wrote:

what is the best way to sell music cds?

For most CDs, 50¢ apiece at a yard sale.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

the selling of music cds

Just a couple suggest from a long-time music buyer  

1/ Don't try to get retail price for the CDs unless they are very rare 

2/ Please provide song list of all CD you list- It helps alot when deciding if buying or not

Good Luck selling your cds

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

the selling of music cds

List ONLY the ones that look brand new with NO scratches.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

the selling of music cds

I began selling CDs in the mid 90s and at that time, it was quite lucrative. Today, though, almost all I move are 50s era blues, doo-wop, R'n'B, rock and rockabilly. ALL are original recordings with clean discs, cases and artwork. Most customers who favor that time period are willing to pay my price of 50 cents per song and I never discount.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

the selling of music cds

List them.

Sell them.

Ship them.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

the selling of music cds

@kabilab wrote:

I began selling CDs in the mid 90s and at that time, it was quite lucrative. Today, though, almost all I move are 50s era blues, doo-wop, R'n'B, rock and rockabilly. ALL are original recordings with clean discs, cases and artwork. Most customers who favor that time period are willing to pay my price of 50 cents per song and I never discount.

We sell a lot of 70's and 80's rock, metal, alternative.......especially the greatest hits ones, etc.  We were shipping them 1st class, but with the latest USPS increase, we switched back to media mail.  And of course, the emails of "where is this CD" have already started.............*sigh* - you just cannot win!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

the selling of music cds

I've been selling music CD's for years, so I have a lot of experience dealing with them, and I'm still listing them for sale today.

I found the best way to sell them is to offer a buy 2 get 1 free promo, that seems to work for me. Most of my CD sales are for 3 at a time given the promos, it helps to drive more sales.

I ship all my music CD's using media mail by default, while allowing buyers to choose first class at checkout if they want it.

Something to note is that shipping rates have recently gone up again, including for media mail. Its now $3.49 to ship a single CD in the U.S. So that's the price I charge to ship now.

You also need to consider packaging costs, and how you package your CD's so they aren't being damaged during shipping.

I buy wholesale 9x6 1/2 bubble mailers to ship all my music CD's, games, movies, etc. If you're buying these mailers over the counter, they are very expensive, often a couple of dollars for a single mailer. This is why its best to purchase them wholesale.

If you have a store subscription, you also get credit for free shipping supplies each quarter. I get $50 credit for shipping supplies each quarter myself, and ebay does have these mailers readily available for sellers.

As for packaging, I wrap the CD, DVD, game, etc, in about a foot of bubble wrap, then I package it in the bubble mailer. This way the package can absorb considerable impact without being damaged during transit.

As for what types of CD's to sell? The best sellers are techno, followed by classic/hard rock. Heavy metal is a very good seller as well. Some genres don't sell as well, such as country and classical music, and rap music I had a really hard time selling, so I don't invest in them anymore.

music-cd-packaging-example-1.jpg

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

the selling of music cds

@gamersbaystore 

Just took a really quick cursory look at your listings - we sell a lot of media on the smaller selling ID and I do the Buy 2 get 1 free as well on certain items.

I noticed that you do not take a pix of the back of the disc on your pre-owned media.  Does that not create a hinderance/buyer issues for you?  I take a pix of everything and it is time consuming........

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

the selling of music cds

I used to sell a lot of CDs and from time to time list a pile of DVDs. I do back, front, disc and then flip the disc over and get light reflected on it to show any wear.  It's a little time consuming but I don't list tons, either.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

the selling of music cds

Good question! I don't take pics of the back of the discs because lighting distorts the highly reflective surface of the disc, often making it look like there's scratches when there aren't, while often hiding scratches that are actually there.

I just disclose the condition, the buyers take my word for it. Many of the CD's I sell are brand new factory sealed too, so theres no need to have a picture of the disc at all.

I have had buyers ask for pictures of the readable side of the disc in the past, usually with games. I provide the same answer, the lighting can distort it. I also remind them I offer free returns, so there is no risk to begin with. 

If they don't trust my business, then they can take their business elsewhere.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

the selling of music cds

@katzrul15 wrote:

I noticed that you do not take a pix of the back of the disc on your pre-owned media.  Does that not create a hinderance/buyer issues for you?  I take a pix of everything and it is time consuming........

Not the one you responded to, but thought I'd share on this.  Not having pictures of the surface of discs have never hurt me.  While I'd like to show what I'm seeing when I put a disc up in the light, like was said the problem is the light is going to overly show up on the pics and distort the view on the overly reflective surface.  I even get this problem where I can take perfect selfies of myself off the cases.   I test everything and then disclose if I see flaws outside of some dirt or a random fingerprint or something.  Of course, they can always return if the item doesn't work.

The weird mystery to me that I almost make a post on but don't for reasons that most question posts I make either get ignored or garner abusive responses is this: I notice at times when I end up with "Disc Only" items that they seem to go a lot better than whole goods.  Don't know quite why that is, but find it fascinating that I'm having so much trouble ordinarily moving CDs and DVDs, but I'm at 100% on moving "Disc Only" sales.  (And often within 2-3 weeks too!)  Pure mystery to me.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

the selling of music cds

That's some very good information. Do you resurface you discs?

Message 15 of 25
latest reply