cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

return after refund

I sold a model locomotive for $100.00 plus $9.00 shipping.  The buyer said it arrived broken.  I was willing to refund his money, but he needed to return the item.  Well, Paypal gave him back his money in full, & told him to return the item.  He is not going to return the item.  Worse of all, Ebay is planning to give him a second refund on the 26th of this month.  Conversations with the buyer produce no results.  He has flatly stated he is not going to return the item.  Resolution center is no help. WHAT NEXT ?  SUE ?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

return after refund

Buyers can't have a case opened in ebay AND a case opened in pay pal.  If the buyer opened a case in ebay 1st and then a case in pay pal, the ebay case should have closed.

Are you sure pay pal gave the buyer his refund OR do they just have the funds on hold until the case is decided~~until the buyer proves he returned the item?

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

return after refund

OP, are you aware that you have to answer the dispute in any ebay or paypal dispute?  That you have to click the return for refund options and if the buyer says that the item is not described, then sending a return ship label to them.

If you do not, then ebay/paypal will decide the case and they will do it for the buyer and just auto refund them so they can get a freebie.  You will get a double whammy defect on your account and that is not good.

Many inexperienced sellers come here expecting things to operate in a certain manner and lose the item and their money because ebay has it set up to favor the buyer if they do not do things just so.  The resoltion center is not there to help you, it is only there to pass along whatever the user chooses about the case.  Sellers want one thing and the buyers want another - and buying scammers want it both, and ebay has the place set up to favor the buyers.

OP, find wherever the case is and hit the return for refund button and send a return label and then just wait and see what the buyer dos - this is one of ebay's ways to work it out with the buyer - the other is full refund without return.  ebay sees to it that a complaining buyer gets a least one of those.

(*Bleep*)
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

return after refund

If the buyers case was filed through pay pal the buyer has to pay the return shipping.  I believe the OP said pay pal has already refunded the buyer in full AND ebay has a case that will refund the buyer on 10/26??  I don't understand how 2 cases for the same item are open/closed at the same time.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

return after refund

On the other site, I have both a paypal and case with the site for the same transaction, which like here is not supposed to happen. This is not the first time this has been reported.   I believe that the pay has seperated to the point that the communication links have been cut.  Just like having the tracking number in the transaction and yet it does not carry over to a case that is filed on ebay.  Just redumbdant make work to make it easier for buyers to scam.

OR the OP has a hold on the finds and since they can not access the funds, thinks that the money has been refunded. 

(*Bleep*)
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

return after refund

He has his refund thru Paypal, & the case with Ebay is still open & scheduled to pay out on the 26th of this month.  Paypal states the refund was sent, only 2 days after the buyer filed a claim. Buyer has stated he is not going to return the item.  He claims he was told he could keep the item, which is a bold faced lie.  The guy has seen an opportunity & is taking advantage of it.  I fear the cost to me will be $218.00 plus the loss of the $109.00 locomotive.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

return after refund

@creekwod wrote:

He has his refund thru Paypal, & the case with Ebay is still open & scheduled to pay out on the 26th of this month.  Paypal states the refund was sent, only 2 days after the buyer filed a claim. Buyer has stated he is not going to return the item.  He claims he was told he could keep the item, which is a bold faced lie.  The guy has seen an opportunity & is taking advantage of it.  I fear the cost to me will be $218.00 plus the loss of the $109.00 locomotive.

@creekwod wrote:

I would call local law enforcement and file a theft report.   Probably all that will happen is the guy will get a visit from the cops, but there will be a record that someone accused this guy of theft.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

return after refund

Call ebay and have the case closed without any more funds paid out. Make sure they understand the whole situation before they act. Speak slowly and repeat and they can repeat to you.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

return after refund

I do have a few more questions~~Did you ask the buyer for pictures of the damage & did the buyer supply pictures?  Did you insure this for the $100.00 value?  You shipped this priority so it had $50.00 automatic insurance included even if you didn't purchase additional insurance.  Did you file an insurance claim with USPS for the damage? 

Did the buyer file the ebay case first or did they file the pay pal case first?  If the item was insured for the full value or even the included $50.00 insurance it would void any insurance if the buyer shipped it back to you. 

Did you file for insurance and get paid by USPS for the damaged item?  If so, it's up in the air as to who gets the item~~you or the buyer. 

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

return after refund

@baantiques wrote:

@creekwod wrote:

@creekwod wrote:

I would call local law enforcement and file a theft report.   Probably all that will happen is the guy will get a visit from the cops, but there will be a record that someone accused this guy of theft.

The cops aren't going to pay the buyer a visit and this isn't even a criminal issue.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

return after refund

@creekwod wrote:

Something is not right.  No way PP is going to refund in 2 days unless you clicked to refund him.  You need to call paypal and get this straight and file a appeal, unless your thinking he was refunded when there just putting a hold on your money, you need to file he return the item to you, and i would open anddocument in front of a US postal inspector.  This is to vague and you need to read about these processes.  As for ebay, was it escalated to a claim?  They cannot refund him twice.

Also, did you ask the buyer for photos?  Put it in your return descript requirements that you REQURE photos for any not as described.  I do, and it has voided a return because they did not send photos or proof.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

return after refund

Ebay does not REQUIRE a buyer to cooperate in any insurance claim or to provide any pictures.  YOUR requirement that the buyer MUST provide pictures is kind of over~ridden  by ebays no requirement.

Could the buyer have done a credit/debit card chargeback or a bank chargeback that pay pal has no authority to fight?  Maybe that was why the OPs item was not returned as he requested?

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

return after refund

Call both Paypal and eBay!

Do you accept returns on your listing?

If you DON'T accept returns that's how the system works.

The buyer gets to keep the item and they are refunded.

eBay can't do a double refund. . .

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

return after refund

@z50com wrote:

Call both Paypal and eBay!

Do you accept returns on your listing?

If you DON'T accept returns that's how the system works.

eBay can't do a double refund. . .

@z50com Thats not true at all, why would you post such nonsense?

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

return after refund

What part is non sense?

That eBay can't do a double refund?

or

BUT, the seller does have a refund policy so his item should've been returned before the refund was given. . .

Message 15 of 23
latest reply