Did you mean: 

"Complete Your Purchase For ....."

I just noticed the email from eBay no longer says "YOU WON!"   

What was wrong with those 2 words?   

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

BIN listings - which far outnumber auction listings - are purchased, not "won".

The high from "winning" an eBay listing wore off in about 1999 - long before eBay decided that total opacity was far better (for eBay) than even a hint of transparency.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

Hi Rainbow,

It's real simple...eBay is guarding their money more than ever before.

When you become obsessed with something it's natural for it to obvious to everyone but maybe a chicken.

Mr C

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

The high from "winning" an eBay listing wore off in about 1999 - long before eBay decided that total opacity was far better (for eBay) than even a hint of transparency.

Thanks for the info but all my recent purchases today were auction listings I came upon a few minutes before they ended and I won several.   I don't make lots of BIN purchases.   But those I have made I don't receive an email asking me to Complete My Purchase because I do that when I BIN.  

I still get a little thrill when I'm bidding on an item I really want and I'm the highest bidder ... waiting to see if someone is going to outbid me, holding my breath and hoping my highest amount entered wins.  

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

Hi Rainbow,

It's real simple...eBay is guarding their money more than ever before.

When you become obsessed with something it's natural for it to obvious to everyone but maybe a chicken.

Mr C

LOL, apparently, Mr C!  

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@*eponymous* wrote:

Thanks for the info but all my recent purchases today were auction listings I came upon a few minutes before they ended and I won several.   I don't make lots of BIN purchases.   But those I have made I don't receive an email asking me to Complete My Purchase because I do that when I BIN.  

I still get a little thrill when I'm bidding on an item I really want and I'm the highest bidder ... waiting to see if someone is going to outbid me, holding my breath and hoping my highest amount entered wins.  

Well, since fixed price generally outnumbers auctions, they probably just decided to go with one notice for both types, and went with the more common type.

If it was anywhere except eBay, I would suggest they just go ahead and have two different notices depending on the type of sale.  However, around these parts, a simple change like that would probably break the site beyond repair somehow.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@*eponymous* wrote:

Well, since fixed price generally outnumbers auctions, they probably just decided to go with one notice for both types, and went with the more common type.

If it was anywhere except eBay, I would suggest they just go ahead and have two different notices depending on the type of sale.  However, around these parts, a simple change like that would probably break the site beyond repair somehow.

As quoted, eBay did not send a YOU WON before --

nor send a "Complete your purchase for" message now --

for a fixed-price, because that purchase is already completed.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Mine say "ORDER" for BIN, "AGREED" for BO, and "YOU WON" for auction (dated Jan as that's the last auction I won).

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

If that was a Best Offer, it wasn't an auction.  just sayin'  😄

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky Was that comment for me? If so I'm confused... My post reflected the text shown on my e-mails for 3 separate types of transactions - BIN, BO, and auctions. Am I missing something? (Wouldn't be the first time...)

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

My bad.  I misread it after bogarting an entire bowl of good stuff.  😄

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

And you didn't save any to share with me?? 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Well, if ebay weren't so tight with a penny, and if they wanted to look like a REAL going concern with serious intentions, they would just have the programmers do an 'or' for one type of sale or the other.  I guess just plain lazy and sloppy goes with the rummage sale image they can't shake.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Well, if ebay weren't so tight with a penny, and if they wanted to look like a REAL going concern with serious intentions, they would just have the programmers do an 'or' for one type of sale or the other.  I guess just plain lazy and sloppy goes with the rummage sale image they can't shake.

While bashing eBay programmers can be fun --

eBay does not send a "Complete your purchase for" for BO or BIN.

So it seems that there's already an 'or' there, unfortunately.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply