cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

offers via my messages on Ebay

In the last week, I have had potential buyers make offers through my ebay messages.  They will buy a few items and then while another is up for auction, make an offer  for that for a specific amount through messages.  Is this a violation of ebay policies?  

I also get offers of "how much do you want for that item, " thru my messages which I 

DONT think is a violation as long as they turn around and then do a BEST OFFER.  Someone just asked me today what I would accept for a record that already has multiple bids.  Am I correct in telling them what I want for it as long as they turn around and then do a BEST OFFER thanks

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Buyers have not made formal offers through messaging.... so no violations. You can discuss your price, but they need to make the offer.

You can't sell the Billy Joel (via offer) with the bids on it now, except to the high bidder... so no need in discussing price on it.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@snowdog2021 wrote:

Someone just asked me today what I would accept for a record that already has multiple bids.  Am I correct in telling them what I want for it as long as they turn around and then do a BEST OFFER thanks

I wouldn't even tell them a best price. Tell them to use the best offer feature ((or bid that amount if not available) and they'll find out if it's acceptable or not.

Your best price might be half of what the buyer is willing to offer.

edit: can't type today...Editing EVERYTHING

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Even unsolicited offers thru Messages is not a violation. In fact, eBay encourages it now. (It used to be a violation to make an offer if the seller did not indicate Best Offer on a listing, but those days are long passed.)

As for someone asking to buy an auction item, i invite them to bid and wish them luck. I have found letting the auction run to its conclusion is in my better interests. Offers outside the auction is usually an indication the item will do well and often fetches a higher price than what the offer had been.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/buy-now/making-best-offer?id=4019&st=12&pos=1&query=Making%20a%20Be...

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Is this a violation of ebay policies?  

It is not against eBay policy to discuss offers through eBay messages, whether or not they end up making a formal "Best Offer". They just can't ask you to take the transaction off eBay, nor can you ask them to take the transaction off eBay.

Am I correct in telling them what I want for it as long as they turn around and then do a BEST OFFER

You can tell them what you are willing to sell it for. And if the listing still has "Best Offer" available, they can make you an offer through that.

But if Best Offer is not still available, I think you would have to ...

• cancel all the bids and disappoint those bidders;
  • end the listing and pay a penalty fee based on the canceled bids;
  • relist at fixed price

... all in the hope that this person actually follows through.

Personally, I think it is a sleazy move to end an auction in order to sell to someone you have cut a deal with. It disappoints bidders and degrades the reputation of eBay.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply