cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

might be nice to have Immediate Payment for auctions

I haven't used Immediate Payment so far. I haven't had much trouble with people not paying for Fixed Price items.  The problems are with auction wins.  Just this past Sunday I sold 3 items at auction and they have not been paid for.  I don't think I can cancel until tomorrow which is a shame because I'd like to relist them tonight.  I still like auctions but this is definitely disappointing.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@keziak wrote:

The problems are with auction wins.  Just this past Sunday I sold 3 items at auction and they have not been paid for.  I don't think I can cancel until tomorrow which is a shame because I'd like to relist them tonight.  I still like auctions but this is definitely disappointing. 

It looks like eBay disagrees with that. It used to be a buyer requirement, to stage a default payment method for auction wins.

sdneped_0-1714686807419.jpeg

But now that's been discontinued, and sellers can only require buyers to autopay when a best offer is accepted.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

That option to require a payment on file to bid did not go over well with buyers OR sellers, it's one of the rare examples where eBay actually reversed course. I think they got a ton of complaints from sellers and maybe more important probably noticed that bidding activity took a nosedive.

Interesting that during the brief period it was available (and I think it defaulted on "on") there was a very noticeable decline in the number of posts here about non-payers for Auctions, shortly after they removed that option the complaints like the OP started up again.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Auctions would go the way of the dodo bird if bidders had to be there at the end to pay immediately.  That would be like having to watch a loaf of bread bake before I can buy it the store.  I like to bid early and low and forget about it until I get an email asking for payment which may take me a day to eventually read.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

Auctions would go the way of the dodo bird if bidders had to be there at the end to pay immediately.  That would be like having to watch a loaf of bread bake before I can buy it the store.  I like to bid early and low and forget about it until I get an email asking for payment which may take me a day to eventually read.

You wouldn't need to be there, just have a payment method on file.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@toysaver wrote:

Messes up sniping pretty bad. So, all of the snipes in the last few seconds don't come in as bidders fumble with the payment source required screen, and your item sells for significantly less than it normally would. Is that worth eliminating non-payers? Perhaps. Perhaps not. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@doc-holmes wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@toysaver wrote:

Messes up sniping pretty bad. So, all of the snipes in the last few seconds don't come in as bidders fumble with the payment source required screen, and your item sells for significantly less than it normally would. Is that worth eliminating non-payers? Perhaps. Perhaps not. 

Yes - I just wanted to correct that the bidder would not need to be physically there to pay. As for sniping, I expect that one could register a payment method at any time and snipe at will, though wonder if the handshake/authorization of payment, etc., would delay things if someone signed up just to snipe and they would lose their bid (or delay a snipe from anyone). But it may be a moot point since I thought eBay walked the immediate payment back (mentioned upthread). On thinking it through I can see the logistical problems. Plus so few listings use auctions anymore (is it even over 10-12% now?) that maybe just adding a tighter window for non-payment (two days, instead of 96 hours, say) that the seller can select would be better (right now it's 4 to 30 days) and leave it at that.

I remember using a sniping service back in the dial-up days - 😣

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Just list as fixed price.   More and more buyers don't want to wait for an auction to end.  They want it yesterday. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

It is disappointing...but it does attract buyers(watchers) looking at auctions.

Would I stop doing auctions?

Nope.

It's all about attracting buyers to your store every week. ...and what if a buyer buys an item "now" on your site? A lot of replies from sellers who never did auctions or don't sell anymore on eBay will pop up.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

You can put your settings to require immediate payment for purchases, however you will limit yourself with potential customers in doing so.  

You are always going to have someone that plays games paying so you do kind of have to factor that in.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

For quite a while eBay has been pilot-testing a system for immediate payment on offers, which could easily be extended to auctions. 

The fact that they have not rolled it out universally indicates to me that their research might have uncovered some buyer resistance to it. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

For quite a while eBay has been pilot-testing a system for immediate payment on offers, which could easily be extended to auctions. 

The fact that they have not rolled it out universally indicates to me that their research might have uncovered some buyer resistance to it. 

They did roll it out for Auctions and in just a couple of months they got rid of it. Resistance came from both buyers and sellers. (even though sellers could turn it off).

Message 12 of 12
latest reply