cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

listing same item multiple times with different title

I have noticed several sellers now have over 1,000 listings for the same exact product, but they change the wording in the title to reflect the model number instead of the same exact part number.  Does anyone know how they are doing this?  Is this done with an outside source or from an ebay source?  Any information would be helpful.  thanks much, Mike   

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Why does it matter?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I would like to do the same, but I do not want to spend hours/days adding the same exact part with a different model number in the title.  Some people search for their model number only on ebay and would never get to our store if done that way.  For example, one A/C remote control can go to 50 different A/C models, so they all need to be listed individually by the Air Conditioner model number and not the remote part number.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

why would you want to do that?

its annoying to buyers

I was trying to find a part for my truck and it was hundreds of the same listing from china every single one of them had the same town in New Jersey listed

my truck was broken and I wanted the part in a reasonable amount of time it also violates eBay policy I dont know why sellers outside of the USA are allowed to do that 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

It appears ebay is allowing this now.  I just cannot imagine how its done without software help?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

You create a template with all the pertinent info, then just change the model number in the title, description, and item specifics. Or, list 1, use "sell similar", and change the info. 

Personally, I don't like it when I search for a part and find pages full of the same item from the same seller. I consider it search manipulation, and won't buy from them.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I don't like it either, but all of our competition does it.  I understand your instructions, but think about how long that would take to do 1000 listings manually.  The guys that do this add 1000, some times up to 5000 new listings daily.  That is impossible for one person to do on his own.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

If the seller has 1000 to 5000 listings daily, he is not working alone.

Either he has staff or he is using a program that lists for him by model number.

Searching by model number would be a logical Search. Searching by part number would also be a logical Search.

As long as he actually has the parts in stock, eBay and his customers would see no problem.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

It matters because, as a buyer, I have to weed through a bunch of junk to find unique items.

Its a double mess because in ebay infinite wisdom they include items that don't even contain the key words that I CHOOSE to use to find items that are of INTEREST to ME.  

Its a triple mess because they also change the category in wish I CHOSE to search for the item....

That's just my take....Regards

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Yes, all good thoughts, but does anyone out there no of the way the other sellers are actually listing 1000 items daily?  Anyone know of a specific software out there that does this?  Thank you....

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

If the listing is coming out of China but shipping from the US they are paying people 10 cents a hour to list

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@mjmelect wrote:

I have noticed several sellers now have over 1,000 listings for the same exact product, but they change the wording in the title to reflect the model number instead of the same exact part number.  Does anyone know how they are doing this?  Is this done with an outside source or from an ebay source?  Any information would be helpful.  thanks much, Mike   

There are rules on ebay. Ebay has a duplicate listing policy. I often wonder how some sellers get away with clearly breaking the policy. Perhaps it`s because they aren`t being reported? I don`t know but here is the policy...  

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/duplicate-listings-policy?id=4255

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I don't think it's still eBay policy.  I contacted customer service a few times and each time they said it was ok to list 1000 listings.  I wish it were not true so all our competitors would have to stop.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply