cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incandescent bulbs

I understand that they are no longer sold.  

. My question is about halogen projector bulbs used in projectors and medical light sources. I have had some of these removed, and others seem to be okay. It could be that the category was wrong on the ones removed; I'm looking for clarification before I try to relist any of them.  

Also, i am wondering, on vintage antique Christmas light strands, can I still list those 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

incandescent bulbs

The law only applies to making new one and not even all types of them.  Projector lamps are not banned.  You need to check the email or in your messages on your my eBay page to see the reason they were removed.  

Christmas lights are allowed.   

We can't wait to display our light up pilgrims either.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

incandescent bulbs

Screenshot 2023-10-08 205124.pngThis is the email.

Highlighted the part that applies

Ended listings yellow highlight the listing that I am wondering about

Whatever color the reddish highlight is was also removed. I understand it is For home use and doesn't meet the standards. 

The third pic is why I think it was removed. I had it in the wrong category.   I guess I should be good to relist with the correct category. 
LIGHT.pngLIGHT 3.png

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

incandescent bulbs

eBay has gone off and come up with rules that don't follow the law.  There are halogen bulbs made for flashlights. Another rule written be a clueless person.  They do like to go after key words as it's easy.

Better not relist those.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

incandescent bulbs

The eBay rule covers halogen bulbs that don't meet the standard but there is no standard for projectors. eBay seems to  be removing all halogen bulbs.  

They don't understand the difference or the law.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

incandescent bulbs

I think it was the category it was in. I checked, and all the bulbs removed were in the home lighting category, none in the medical or electronics category. 

I asked the question from my home account, but the items I asked about are for work. My day job is managing the eBay account for a medical and electronics recycling company, and I currently manage 3500+ listings. They removed about 10 listings but left 40+ listings alone. Of the 10 they removed, 4 should have been allowed, but all were in the home lighting category. I remoted in and ran a test. I tried to relist without changing the class, but it would not let me change. Then, I changed the category to projectors, and eBay allowed the listing.   

So, they are just removing listings using keywords from specific categories.  

The good news is that none of these removals are counted as negative against my account. This is different from last year when we turned on the global shipping program and, after 2 months, got restricted a few times because of rules on old, out-of-date HP ink in Germany. They claimed that just turn this on, and they take care of everything. That was a lie. They didn't withhold certain listings from specific countries and held me responsible for rules I was unaware of.   I have been running the new international program on my account and haven't had any issues. I turned it on yesterday at work and will see if they have solved that issue. If not, I will just turn it off again. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

incandescent bulbs

You're probably right about the category making a big difference, that's common with removals.  Always pick the most accurate category you can, but in this case, you could test listing them in a different (as long as it's still appropriate) category to test, although I'd probably just try to sell them elsewhere since I know I'd be on the eBay bot's radar now.  Glad they didn't count it against you!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

incandescent bulbs

I have some old equipment that uses those DNF bulbs as a light source. I usually find them under Electronics/Film Photography/Slide and Movie Projection/Projector Bulbs & Lamps.

(I depend on eBay to find those new old stock projector bulbs, as do many who have older equipment that uses them. It would be a disaster for us if they could no longer be sold!)

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

incandescent bulbs

The eBay policy is excessively broad.   The DOE rule applies to some medium base screw bulbs only. 

Most bulbs are excluded.  And some medium base bulbs like black light or 3-way bulbs are excluded.

Extensive lists of excluded bulb types are available in the DOE doc:

https://www.energy.gov/sites/default/files/2022-06/gsl-definitions-fr-oiracomparedoc.pdf

EPCA defines a GSIL generally as a standard incandescent or halogen type lamp that is intended for general service applications; has a medium screw base; has a lumen range of not less than 310 lumens and not more than 2,600 lumens or, in the case of a modified spectrum lamp, not less than 232 lumens and not more than 1,950 lumens; and is capable of being operated at a voltage range at least partially within 110 and 130 volts. 42 U.S.C. 6291(30)(D)(i). This definition does not apply, however, to 22 lamp types.6 42 U.S.C. 6291(30)(D)(ii).

eBay is doing keyword blocking in the Home & Garden > Lamps, Lighting & Ceiling Fans > Light Bulbs

If your bulb can fit another category, try that.  Don't list E23/Medium base bulbs unless the specific type is  excluded, you can be fined for that.  And watch for changes in the law if you do. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply