cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

good practices in selling

Hello eBay community,

I am going to start selling on eBay.

What are the good practices I should develop as a responsible seller in eBay?

Can anyone help me in this?

Thank you.Stay safe.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Welcome to eBay! There are a lot of good practices. Otehr sellers will add to your post.

Here are a few:

- Provide good custoner service.

- Do research to see what others maybe are selling the same items for. 

- Post clear nice pictures, you get up to 12 free. Pictures can show the item's               condition better. Don't use anyone elses pictures. 

- Write a good title and description. Besure to note any flaws. 

- Don't sell outside of eBay, for your protection.

- Don't ever agree to send to another address other than the buyers registered         address.

- Answer your messages from buyers as soon as possible.

- Look out for scams.

- Always provide and upload tracking.

- Charge reasonable shipping rates.

- Be sure to read eBays selling policies.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/selling-policies?id=4214&st=12&pos=5&query=Selli...

- Read eBay's start selling overview, it has some very helpful articles. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/start-selling-ebay?id=4081&st=12&pos=6&query=Start%20selli...

- Be famililar with ebays prohibited to sell items. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/prohibited-restricted-items?id=4207&s...

As a new seller you will have selling limits. eBay does this to make sure that you show that you are a good seller and show a good track record. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/selling-limits?id=4107&st=12&pos=2&query=Selling%20limits...

Again, this isn't everything. This is only thet ip of the iceberg. There are a lot of great folks here that will add to what I started. It is good to hear what everyone has to add. 

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I forgot to mention, you will also have to know what trademark items you can't sell. If you list an item that is on he prohibited list, VERO (Verified Rights Owner Program) will get your auction closed. 

Here is the link:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/listing-and-marketing/verified-rights-owner-program.html#m17-1-...

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Treat your buyers how you like to be treated. 

Good luck!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Read and understand the policies.

Read and understand the MBG.

Keep a good inventory count. Don't list things you don't have in stock.

Have sufficient (suitable) packing materials on hand.

Ship on time with tracking ... using the method promised in your listing (do not downgrade)

Keep good accounting records.

Know your fees and expenses.

Keep your COGS down and your GPM up (buy low, sell high).

Too many new sellers do not take into consideraction the fees and costs associated with selling and then end up blaming eBay because they aren't making a profit.

Research your items.

Don't list things that 2000 other sellers are already selling.

Look at sold listings to see what is actually selling and at what price. Don't price things based on active listings.

Item titles should be EXACTLY what you are listing. No emojis, no fluff, no keyword spamming, no promotional wording. BRAND MODEL ITEM SIZE COLOR QUANTITY DESCRIPTOR. How is a buyer going to search for this Item? what words will they use? Those words need to be in your title, no others.

Pictures should be EXACTLY what you are listing.

Take your own pictures of the item that is in your possession. Do not use stock photos.

If you are listing a set of 2, there should be a picture of 2 ... no more, no less.

Pictures should have no text,  borders or artwork.

Take pictures in bright, indirect light on a white (or at least plain) background.

Your item should take up at least 80% of the actual photo area.

Fill in all if your item specifics and add your own, if necessary.

Use an honest, accurate and detailed condition description. Do not just say "see pics". Do not say something is new if it is not. "Good" is not a valid condition description.

Describe your item. In detail.

Measurements, measurements, measurements!

Re-state the full item condition in the description.

Use short sentences and paragraph breaks ... don't use a big wall of text, fancy fonts or all caps. left justify your text. Make it easy for the buyer to read and understand.

Double check your spelling and grammar.

Make sure that your shipping price shown to the buyer is accurate. You cannot ask for more money if you get it wrong.

Most of all ... Be professional and polite in ALL communications with buyers. Even (especially) if they are being unreasonable or angry. Be the better person. Treat your customers the way you want to be treated.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

thank you so much for your help

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Thank you for helping me!

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Thank you very much for spending your valuable time in helping me!

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@kudos_plaza wrote:

Thank you very much for spending your valuable time in helping me!

@kudos_plaza 

You are welcome 🙂

What all of my words up there boil down to is ... Create an honest, accurate listing and keep your promises.

All buyers want is a good product, that is accurately described, at a good price that arrives in a timely manner. And to be treated with respect and courtesy.

If you give them that ... by taking the time and effort upfront in your listing to give accurate details and pictures ... You will have less problems after the sale.

Remember that the more honest details you can give in your Item Specifics and description, the less questions you will have (and less returns).

Also ... eBay procedures are not always straightforward. If you have any questions or problems, come here and ASK before you do something...especially if a buyer has a problem or opens a case.

And ... I can't seem to just say one thing LOL ... Use the Advanced listing form, not the quick form. There are many more options available to you when using the "business tool" form (and less of eBay's automatic suggestions that may not be the best for you).

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/using-business-tool?id=4159 

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Other responders here have given you lots of useful information.  Read it carefully.

Also, read the Seller Center, bottom of page.

Plus it wouldn't hurt to return here periodically and check out this Board.  Sooner or later, every perceivable issue/problem will be discussed here.  

PLEASE do not become one of those sellers who violates the rules, or, worse, has not read the rules, comes here seeking help and then gets upset if you're told there is nothing you can do.  

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

The FIRST rule of E bay Fight CLub -  NEVER Ever Never Nada List anything you cannot afford to give away.

Do not list expensive Phones, electronics, computers etc until you have your feet under you with at least 50 or more feedbcks.  

Watch out for people sending messages trying to get you to ship to a different address or asking for gift cards to be sent.

ALWAYS check your Paypal or managed payments account to make sure funds were sent.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Don't leave anything out of your description that could result in buyers sending you all kinds of questions.

Make sure to include dimensions of your item if applicable.

Take shots of your item from every angle.

Start off slow with a few "lesser" things just to get the feel of it before you start listing anything real expensive. 

Determine the weight and dimensions of your package before you list it so you won't come out behind when you pay for your shipping label  (You don't want to charge the buyer $5 for shipping, only to find out it's going to cost you $15). For example, if you package weighs 2 lb 1 oz, shipping will be figured for a package weighing 3 lbs. Make use of eBay's shipping calculator.

Before you hit the launch button for a listing, don't just double check things. Triple check everything including your wording and photos. Make sure there are no bugs or dog hair showing in the photos.

Most important, research your item thoroughly before listing it. Check closed listings on eBay for similar items to see what they have sold for and to get tips on how other successful sellers do it. When you do that, make sure to check for "Sold" listings, not just "Completed" listings.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Pay very close attention to the above reply, she hit the nail when it comes to shipping costs. I recently bought a couple things after winning bid and one was quite large but she was only charging 10 dollars for ship, won bid of $19 so I got 30 into it..when I received the package the shipping was $36, she paid me to buy it! So always check your shipping costs! I usually use priority flat rate at my Ebay discount, but I started with 1st class packaging until I got my feet wet, now also keep in mind that 1st class mail is moving very slow right now like it's the redheaded stepchild, you don't want your 1st couple items late also, some people will pounce all over Newbees on this! Read all these replies carefully, very good advice and best to you
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Understand that: 

• you must be aware of your seller dashboard and seller status
  • you must be vigilant to avoid high fees  - learn the fee structure!
  • you pay a fee that is a percentage of the total price - including shipping! 
  • certain actions can affect your selling status and/or your fees
    a) too many cancellations for "out of stock"
    b) not agreeing to a return for refund when a buyeris unhappy
    c) shipping too many items late
  • there is a specific "Unpaid Item" process for dealing with buyers who do not pay
  • unhappy buyers can return for refund despite what your return policy says
  • do not list anything you cannot afford to lose
  • there is a risk of fraud when you sell on eBay
  • when you encounter fraud, eBay will not help you or look at your 'evidence"
  • always check PayPal (or Managed Payments) first because
  • a) you will receive messages trying to trick you into shipping an item before it is paid 
    b) you will receive messages claiming you have been paid when you have not
  • you need to ship with tracking, even if it is more expensive
  • certain items have a high risk of fraud (iPhones, gift cards, etc.)
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Hi, welcome to eBay. First of all, as a seller be polite to your buyers , list your items clearly with a detailed description of the item with clear photos, make sure you mention all the faults ( if any ).
Ship the paid item packaged well and quickly ( possibly the same day of the payment or in one day or two working days). Last but not least, do not send eBay 'payment reminders' within just a few hours or on the same day of the auction. Buyers have two days (48hours) to pay for their items on eBay, a payment reminder should be only sent after the two days and not before. Payment reminders before 48 hours can be seen as a bit rude and pushy and it will not make you popular with your buyer.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply