cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eCheck payment method problem

Our buyer had purchased from me and had messaged us that they mistakenly used eCheck instead of Debit as an form of payment and wanted a cancel on the eCheck so they could re-purchase using debit. The problem is on the PayPal websites (We use Business PayPal) we do not see any ability to cancel this transaction while pending. The buyer had agreed to wait until the expected clear date (Today) but it is already 2PM and the PO closes at 5PM today. The Buyer expects the item on the two days later for a birthday gift, but it seems it will not clear today. Any suggestions to handle this situation?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Refund.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@happy-savings wrote:

Our buyer had purchased from me and had messaged us that they mistakenly used eCheck instead of Debit as an form of payment and wanted a cancel on the eCheck so they could re-purchase using debit. The problem is on the PayPal websites (We use Business PayPal) we do not see any ability to cancel this transaction while pending. The buyer had agreed to wait until the expected clear date (Today) but it is already 2PM and the PO closes at 5PM today. The Buyer expects the item on the two days later for a birthday gift, but it seems it will not clear today. Any suggestions to handle this situation?

Whatever you do, don't ship before you receive cleared payment and paypal says it is OK to ship, no matter what the buyer says or encourages. 

If the buyer is pressuring to ship, that is a sign of a possible scam.  I have heard this same basic story a 100 times on this board. If you get any emails from paypal, make sure to verify that the email actually came from paypal by verifying with PayPal directly.

Be careful if you move forward with this transaction. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

Refund.

You can't refund if the Echeck has not cleared!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@happy-savings wrote:

Tell the buyer you can cancel the transaction if they request it and you can relist so they can purchase using a different payment method.  That being said, I would be concerned that they will later state the item did not arrive in time and they are entitled to a discount, refund or some such.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@sam9876 wrote:

Refund.

The sender of an eCheck can cancel the payment as long as the payment is still "pending". Once it's cleared the recipient (seller) can cancel/refund.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@sam9876 wrote:

Refund.

The sender of an eCheck can cancel the payment as long as the payment is still "pending". Once it's cleared the recipient (seller) can cancel/refund.

That is a whole different scenario than telling the seller to refund

Message 7 of 7
latest reply