cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay should suspend sellers for price gouging

These people who are price gouging any essential item while our nation is in crisis need to be stopped and the only way to do it is if eBay would suspend their selling privileges.   

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Price gouging? No.

Listing prohibited items? Yes. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Ebay is doing this.  Some sellers are just very creative in how they list this stuff in efforts to elude Ebay as long as they can so they can get some sales before the listing is shut down.  So whenever you see any of these listings, report them.  It helps Ebay to find the listings.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

I should have clarified that I meant the sellers for those listings. 

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

It is not so much the price gouging, but being able to continuously list these items, such as masks. I brought this up yesterday in the weekly chat as for the last few days I have been reporting these listings, but these sellers will relist with a different user name but the photos and descriptions are identical. The answer I received back was that eBay is removing the listing. They could free up people from having to check the listings if they just shut down these sellers. I strongly believe eBay won't shut them down as 99% of these are sellers from China and their items are being shipped fro warehouses in California. I just wonder who's warehouses these are. I would almost have to believe that these are eBay's warehouses being rented by these sellers.

This morning I reported 5 new listings and they were all taken down except one that is an auction and the price as of 10:45 central time is $10,100.00. Now that is price gouging. There is also 50 new listings for the masks after there were none. This is just one place these are being shipped from: Item location: Hacienda Heights, California, United States. Here are some more (next 5 listings) with the same locations:

Item location:
Santee, California, United States

With all of these masks in warehouses in California, the State of California should raid these warehouses and then they would have much needed medical supplies.

EBAY, STOP PLAYING GAMES AND SHUT DOWN THESE SELLERS PERMANENTLY LIKE YOU WOULD DO TO US HONEST SELLERS.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

@greg213213 wrote:

It is not so much the price gouging, but being able to continuously list these items, such as masks. I brought this up yesterday in the weekly chat as for the last few days I have been reporting these listings, but these sellers will relist with a different user name but the photos and descriptions are identical. The answer I received back was that eBay is removing the listing. They could free up people from having to check the listings if they just shut down these sellers. I strongly believe eBay won't shut them down as

99% of these are sellers from China  and their items are being shipped fro warehouses in California. I just wonder who's warehouses these are. I would almost have to believe that these are eBay's warehouses being rented by these sellers.

This morning I reported 5 new listings and they were all taken down except one that is an auction and the price as of 10:45 central time is $10,100.00. Now that is price gouging. There is also 50 new listings for the masks after there were none. This is just one place these are being shipped from: Item location: Hacienda Heights, California, United States. Here are some more (next 5 listings) with the same locations:

Item location:
Santee, California, United States

With all of these masks in warehouses in California, the State of California should raid these warehouses and then they would have much needed medical supplies.

EBAY, STOP PLAYING GAMES AND SHUT DOWN THESE SELLERS PERMANENTLY LIKE YOU WOULD DO TO US HONEST SELLERS.

Maybe with masks they are mostly from China, but on most other price gouging that I see it is all about US sellers.  Keep in mind that those auctions that go for such high prices are likely to be people that are firmly against price gouging and are out there to teach the sellers a lesson.  Likely they ask for a cancellation shortly after the auction closes.  On many of these type of listings I see buyers with zero FB bidding.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

For every account they close there are 5 con artists signing up for new ones
Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@andypa_81 wrote:

I know.  It is clear some sellers are pretty darn clever in trying to steal from others.  Sad but very true.  Ebay can link these accounts, but that does take a little time and the sellers bank on that in the hopes to squeeze out a few sales before Ebay finds them.  It is a real problem to be sure.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

FYI, I don't know if this helps, but what I've started doing is when I find a listing I want to report for Price Gouging, I do that.  Then I go and look at that sellers other listings to see if there are others they have listed.  Most times there are, so I report every one of them for that seller I can find.  It is my hope that multiple reports on the same seller will help Ebay to identify them quicker.  I have no idea if it helps, but that is what I've started doing.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Better yet, do like Amazon is doing and list 3M N95 masks for government and healthcare use only.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

@pdmoderator wrote:

Better yet, do like Amazon is doing and list 3M N95 masks for government and healthcare use only.

It is important to remember that Amazon can get a handle on this much quicker than Ebay can because of the way their listings are structured / set up.  They are vastly different than how listings are structured / set up on Ebay.  There is just no comparison between the two sites in this area.  Which is why it is so much more complicated for Ebay to stop these listings.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

They don't care. I needed masks so I bought some. Turns out seller from China. Listing I bought is deleted the same day. Before bed same seller has new listings of masks on same account. Refusal to ban equates to not caring. I don't know why people waste time reporting when eBay will delete the listing but not the seller.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

You are "assuming" they are refusing to ban.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@andypa_81 wrote:

I know.  It is clear some sellers are pretty darn clever in trying to steal from others.  Sad but very true.  Ebay can link these accounts, but that does take a little time and the sellers bank on that in the hopes to squeeze out a few sales before Ebay finds them.  It is a real problem to be sure.

can eBay link the off-shore accounts like they do here in the US with the IP address?

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

FYI, I don't know if this helps, but what I've started doing is when I find a listing I want to report for Price Gouging, I do that.  Then I go and look at that sellers other listings to see if there are others they have listed.  Most times there are, so I report every one of them for that seller I can find.  It is my hope that multiple reports on the same seller will help Ebay to identify them quicker.  I have no idea if it helps, but that is what I've started doing.

and reporting multiple listings from the same seller should not be on you , and I.

Should be one, and done.

The eBay employee can see the seller's other listings just as we can, and if it is not, it should be a requirement that the employee check for/end any listings that violate policy.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply