cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay really needs to provide return packaging guidlines. Sick of destroyed returns.

This is something that has annoyed me for years. It seems like more than half the time when I have a return come back for any reason, be it INAD or buyer's remorse, it is just thrown into a box with no protection, and gets thrashed around the entire trip back to me.

I have had one of a kind items absolutely demolished, expensive electronics completely destroyed, and things like mugs and breakables totally shattered upon return. I know that as sellers we understand how much a package goes through in shipping, and maybe buyer's done realize it, but you would think they would see how an item is packaged when they get it, and maybe make an effort to repackage it the same way.

I know we have the ability to deduct a percentage for damage, but that still leaves us holding the bag for the other 50% when the item is so thoroughly wrecked that it can not be sold at all. I also wonder how long before eBay decides a seller is making "too many deductions for damage" and removes the ability, or decides they need to punish the seller.

eBay needs to have a popup window or something that the buyer can see, something to explain the proper way to package an item to avoid damage. It wouldn't even have to be in depth, just something to let them know that items bouncing around in a box will probably not survive the trip.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

eBay really needs to provide return packaging guidlines. Sick of destroyed returns.

I totally understand what you are saying.

I had a buyer return a Nitrous Oxide unit ($3,000.00 item).

It shipped in 4 boxes to protect the yoke and flowmeter from being damaged.

They threw everything into one box with no packing at all!

All that metal slamming into each other on the trip back totally damaged everything. 

I deducted the max of 50%.  The buyer contacted me and said I should have told them how to package it.

Well, they had just purchased it, why didn't you repackage in the packaging that it came it??

I provided them with 4 return labels, so it's not like they were paying for the shipping to return the 4 boxes.

Some buyers are lazy or just don't think or care.....IMHO

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Buyers are used to getting stuff from Amazon, Walmart, Target in a gigantic box with 2 air pillows and no protection. They don't have the first clue about packing.

If the item being returned requires care in packing I always send a quick message to the buyer. If it's not fragile I don't bother.

The last time I returned something, about 6 years ago, eBay did not include any info in the email other than:

Seller has approved your return request. Please print the shipping label.
Send the item back by [date] to claim your refund.

This help page, return shipping for buyers, does not say anything about packing:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/start-return/return-shipping?id=4066

However this help page, returning an item for a refund, has a TIP box that says:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item?id=4041

The condition of the returned item is important, so repack it carefully. If you return the item used, damaged, missing parts, or if it gets damaged during return shipping, the seller may deduct an amount from your refund to cover the loss in the item's value. For more information, see our Condition of returned items policy.

It would be helpful if eBay put that tip in front of the buyer on the return approved email and/or on the return details.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

It's all part of the fun if you are going to sell online.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@albany_sellers  I had a buyer in Puerto Rico return 2 kitchen printers in a beat up fruit box with 1 - 10x10 inch piece of thin bubble wrap thrown on top. Nothing between the two printers, nothing around them. We shipped in a double-walled box with at least 4 layers of heavy bubble wrap around each one.

I now let buyers know they need to return using the same packaging the item was sent in. That includes the box and any padding used when sent. I've been considering adding it to our listings in addition to telling them when they return an item.

Some people just have a mean streak and others are oblivious when it comes to being considerate.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@albany_sellers 

Is there a reason why you can't do This?

If a return needs special handling,  sellers are the ones best positioned to provide the instructions.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The thing is, I do reach out with breakables. Buyers simply do not care or do not read. Probably one of those "suck for you, but not my problem" deals.

90% of buyers I have reached out to have either ignored my request, or read the message and still just thrown the item in a box. It's almost like they do it to spite you or to punish you for having the nerve to ask for your item back before a refund.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

It does not have to be. It is fully within eBay's power to provide some sort of guidelines after a return request, something that the buyer has to see and acknowledge before printing a label. I get that they do not want to stress out or offend a buyer by asking them to take some care with repackaging, but it's such a small thing to ask for. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply