cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay put large package shipping to cali and way too low a price

So I had a poster up that was 50 inches in length and I had the shipping set to 50 x 6 x 6 in and 10 lbs (guesstimated I don’t even own a scale) cause it’s just in a big paper tube. I had it set to calculate but it put California shipping at $25?? I physically go to the post office not print labels because I don’t own a printer and much smaller boxes definitely not that long are more than that?? I’m scared I’ll go and they’ll say it’s $50-100 and I’ll be paying THEM to take it. eBay showed the cost as $25 local and $60 towards the coasts so why…I’m in Wisconsin I’m not close so uh what do I do I expected to see $60 for California. 

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

That is correct, though I highly doubt a poster in a tube weighs 10 lb.

ETA: Is it the wall scroll?  I still don't think it would come up to 10 lb weight. This may be something you'll have to either find someone with a scale or take it to the post office and get a more accurate estimate.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 55
latest reply

It’s a very long 50” tube with very thick cardboard. It was shipped to me from Japan and it was never removed from said tube. I’ve gone plenty of times and sent boxes that are 20” long and it’s cost more than 25 to California and weighed less… 

it’d also an anime poster so it’s fabric and has plastic on top and bottom 

Message 3 of 55
latest reply

But why would it be less than my 20 inch boxes to California that weighed less? 

Message 4 of 55
latest reply

Just a bit of friendly advice.

A) NEVER sell anything without know exactly what it will cost to ship first.  Otherwise how can you accurately charge for shipping?

B) If you're going to be selling on ebay, buy a scale.

Good luck you you!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 55
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

A) NEVER sell anything without know exactly what it will cost to ship first.  Otherwise how can you accurately charge for shipping?

Good luck you you!

and C. You mention it was never removed from the tube? Check out the contents to ensure your description is accurate

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 6 of 55
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

Good luck you you!

and C. You mention it was never removed from the tube? Check out the contents to ensure your description is accurate

and D. No running with the scissors!    😉

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 7 of 55
latest reply

@*meigara* wrote:

But why would it be less than my 20 inch boxes to California that weighed less? 

In my experience, for heavier weights, tubes cost less to ship than boxes, but I can't give any real numbers on that - the last thing I shipped in a tube was a didgeridoo last month - it was cheaper to actually purchase a tube than pack in a box. 

Forgot this:  Try using the USPS shipping calculator for a double check.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 55
latest reply

Buy a postal scale.  It's one of the top ten inventions if you are a seller. It's right there near printer, printer ink, tape, tape dispenser, etc. etc.   I bought mine here on ebay.  

Next get a measuring tape.   Become familiar with the new (since 2022) postal surcharges on the longer packages.  Do NOT even think of listing anything unless you know the weight and the dimensions.

On the longer packages, I would directly add the surcharge to the starting price of the item just in case the calculator figures it out wrong. You can always refund if the calculator adds the shipping surcharge to the shipping fee.

Guessing the weight is going to result in your losing money most of the time.  

Message 9 of 55
latest reply

Is it not reliable to print the label through ebay? I was going to ask a neighbor to print the label after I bought it?

Message 10 of 55
latest reply

It's not the weight at times it's the dimension in this case. 50" is a long tube thus the extra cost. It takes up space thus the increase in price. We owned a pack & mail store and had seen that all the time. People freak out when they see the cost due to a unique size like this one,

Message 11 of 55
latest reply

You sell enough stuff that you should have a printer and a scale.  Both of which you can get on Ebay pretty inexpensively.  

When you go to the Post Office to purchase your shipping label you will pay full retail price which is more expensive than purchasing your labels from Ebay or some other online provider of postage.  So if your only option is to buy at the Post Office and you are using the Shipping Calculator, make sure you have it calculating the shipping at FULL retail pricing.

But keep in mind, if you pay full retail, the money you would save by having your own printer would pay for itself in no time at all.  I use a Thermal printer strictly for my labels.  No ink required, just the 4x6" labels on a roll.  If you consider a scale, make sure you get one that goes at least to 50lbs.  

Good Luck.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 55
latest reply

You don't have a printer or a scale???? The basics man!!!!

Message 13 of 55
latest reply

I have a scale for people the last mailing I had my ex broke.. as far as the printer it always kept drying up so the cost of the ink vs what I was printing was not cost effective. A bigger problem is there’s no place in my apartment to put it which is annoying 

Message 14 of 55
latest reply

@*meigara* wrote:

Is it not reliable to print the label through ebay? I was going to ask a neighbor to print the label after I bought it?

You can actually just bring the QR code eBay provides with their label and the post office will print it.

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 55
latest reply