cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay lowered my listing price

My listing was originally for $7500.00, but Ebay lowered the price and it sold for $6500.00 I did not do it. What did this happen? Do I have recourse?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@mikeba316 

This is the second time you have posted  a thread per this issue.  If you go back and read what people advised in your first post, I'm sure you'll get your answers. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-lowered-my-price-without-permission/td-p/33319731

Dated 10/27/22

Have a great day!

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I finally got an agent on the phone and they allowed me to cancel order. without paying fees. The responses  I got before were wrong. The item was originally listed higher, unlike what others were saying, but when it was automatically resisted it went to auction with a lower starting price.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Do not use auctions especially on a high ticket item ! Do fixed price to get the price you want with immediate payment. Auctions are usually lowball!

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@mikeba316 wrote:

I finally got an agent on the phone and they allowed me to cancel order. without paying fees. The responses  I got before were wrong. The item was originally listed higher, unlike what others were saying, but when it was automatically resisted it went to auction with a lower starting price.

Sorry, but no. The customer service agent gave you incorrect information. By the way, they are not allowed to disagree with the customer (because the customer is "always right"), so if you told them what you thought had happened, they were not able to disagree with you and give you the correct information.

Your listing was posted 4 times always as an auction, with a starting price of $6,500 and BIN of $8,500. The price was the same every time. It was never listed at a higher price. You can see this in your list of completed items.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/mikeba316/m.html?LH_Complete=1

image.png

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@mikeba316 wrote:

It was listed 4 times with the same starting price and buy it now price.

When it finally got a bid, the buy it now price was removed and it sold for the starting price you chose.

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

That is good they taking notice to their faults sometimes.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Hi Mike. You do not have any recourse because you are misunderstanding how the pricing you chose for your listing works--your opening bid was $6500 and your Buy-It-Now was $8500. But that does not mean you will get $8500 when it sells at auction. What it means is that if you get only one bid, as what happened to your listing, then that opening bid automatically cancels the Buy-It-Now price and the sales price then becomes $6500. What you likely wanted was a Reserve Price on your auction. If you had set a reserve at $8500 with an opening bid of $6500, then the item would not have sold for anything under $8500.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@mikeba316,

OK, the earliest listing I have found for this amp started on Sep 15 and ended on Sep 22. The starting price and BIN price were both revised on Sep 15. The earliest cached page I could find was dated Sep 17, and showed the $6,500 starting price. So that must have been when the price was changed, on Sep 15, but it was done as a revision by the seller, not by an eBay glitch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185581833549?

image.png

image.png

It has been relisted every week since then (probably automatically), and always at the same prices; starting price = $6,500 and BIN = $8,500. Ending dates:

Sep 29: www.ebay.com/itm/185591453365

Oct 6:   www.ebay.com/itm/185599483824

Oct 13:  www.ebay.com/itm/185608467060

Oct 20: www.ebay.com/itm/185617343294

Oct 27: www.ebay.com/itm/185626128979

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

The agent told you that to get you off the phone. If somehow a price changed from an ebay glitch it would change to something completely random, not a very arbitrary price that no one was even willing to purchase the item at for a solid month.

Price changing via an ebay glitch also isn't really a thing that happens, always ends up being user error or someone that didn't understand something, which is what it was in your case. 

Also, as I said in your last thread on that, you should have taken the $6500 for the AMP, sales history for that item indicates that is the highest one has ever sold for. It it was really worth $8000 it wouldn't have sat there for a month at $6500 unsold.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

You currently have the item for $7,000 BIN $8,000. So, if the auction ends with a winner for $7,000 instead of the amount you prefer are you going to continue to blame eBay? If you want $7,500 just list the item as a fixed price for $7,500 immediate payment and be done with the worry.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Do I have recourse?

@mikeba316 

Again... no. 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

No need for a second topic on this. You already got your answers to the first one. Ebay DID NOT lower your price.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@lacemaker3 

that is some excellent review work.....obviously 7500 was never in play here....even now it is at 7000 even, but the buy it now has increased too.......

BUY IT NOW: US $9,500.00

will we get a new thread when it sells for 7K will we get a new thread?

the sad part of this scenario is that the winner of the auction that was willing to pay the listed price did not receive their item.....thus adding to the "why i don't buy expensive items on ebay" myth

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@mikeba316 wrote:

I finally got an agent on the phone The responses  I got before were wrong. 

Wrong. You got very luck Ebay giving you a curtesy refund on your auction fee. The CS reps ALWAYS tell you what you want to hear.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply