cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Appeals Rules in Favor of Buyer Even with Written Proof Buyer Is Lying

As I'm sure all of you already know, eBay's appeal process is completely unfair and just plain terrible.

I sold a brand new textbook / access code package to a buyer. The book was still in it's original shrink wrap with the one-time-use access code inside. The access code was never used. None of it had ever been opened.

The buyer receives the book on Aug 28 and messages me about a week later saying the item was not as described and wants a refund. I asked what the problem was and the buyer said the access code was already in use. I then said to contact tech support at the company who makes the access code. The buyer messages a few days later saying the company said the same thing - the access code is already in use. eBay forces a return at my expense.

I finally receive the book back with the access code and original shrink wrap - now all unwrapped and opened. I immediately email the company that makes the access code and asked them if this particular access code is in use or if it has ever been in use.

They tell me it was newly registered on Aug 29 at 14:22, one day after the buyer received it. They also told me it was registered in another state then where I live. This is all documented through written messages.

I call the Resolution Center to appeal this decision and I'll give you one guess how that went...

Obviously (!!), eBay isn't doing one thing about it.

eBay does not care there is documented written proof from an outside party that the buyer is lying. eBay does not care about the scamming happening all over their business... because they are a part of it.

I now owe eBay the price of the book and the buyer has an access code which this person can continue to use completely free of charge.

The access code is the most important part of the package and the most expensive. The book itself can be purchased on amazon probably for about $20.

eBay is a piece of dung!

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

@sampleshoppe wrote:

They tell me it was newly registered on Aug 29 at 14:22, one day after the buyer received it. They also told me it was registered in another state then where I live. This is all documented through written messages.

It doesn't prove the buyer was the one that registered it, all it proves is it was registered.

If you could get a message from buyer, where he says, ya, he used the code, you might have a chance to appeal their decision.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

OP, if you still have the original purchase receipt can you contact the company and report the code stolen?  At least then the scammer's access will be shut down. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

It does prove the book was the responsibility of the buyer and most likely in their possession, and I no longer had access to it.

The buyer did not complain to me about not receiving the book and also did not complain about the shrink wrap  being opened, if in some unlikely scenario a porch pirate had gotten to the access code first. Everything about the transaction was normal in the sense that I shipped it as described and the buyer received it.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Unfortunately, I don't have the receipt any longer. Thank you for the suggestion.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Ask what the IP address the access code was activated by...then forward that to your ebay rep...they can see the buyer's IP address.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Thank you, I will try that.
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

If they match or are in the same zipcode you have a thief.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

If they match or are in the same zipcode you have a thief.

ebay does not investigate, it's he said/she said/they said, but...…………..The buyer said.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I am not a big seller on eBay so I don't know the ins and outs of this. I just read that once a case is closed, it can't be reopened. Is this true?

I thought we were given the right to an appeal but it now sounds like I didn't even get a chance.

A few weeks ago, once I realized through research that eBay was probably going to force me to refund the buyer, I called Customer Service and tried to explain. I told them I had new information regarding the buyer. I didn't explain what that info was but the rep apparently noted that in my account... somewhere... I heard typing. Then, I was sort of waiting for the forced return to happen so I could immediately open an appeal with the new info note on record.

I couldn’t do anything otherwise because there was nothing in my account anywhere saying I could appeal at that moment.

It seems now from my research, that eBay automatically closed the case in the buyers favor. When I called the Resolution Center this morning, they basically said they couldn't do anything because the buyer has already been refunded.

But I didn’t even get a chance to appeal. So is this final or can anything be done with potentially new evidence?

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@sampleshoppe wrote:

It doesn't prove the buyer was the one that registered it, all it proves is it was registered.

If you could get a message from buyer, where he says, ya, he used the code, you might have a chance to appeal their decision.kensgiftshop 

It's a pretty easy deduction that it was  the buyer who   registered it . It was still new in the shrink wrap and didn't get registered until the day after the buyer received it.  In a court of law this would be called circumstantial  evidence  which is quite  often enough for a slam dunk  when it comes to proof . Tulips 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Contact the buyer and let them know you will be opening a case with the US Postal Inspection Service for mail fraud. Tell him or her that is they determine the access code is associated with his name or address it will confirm mail fraud.  If the buyer would like to come clean and avoid the IS they he can by refunding your money lost. Then let the buyer sit on it for a few days. Chances are they will contact you.  This has worked for me many times.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@sampleshoppe wrote:

I am not a big seller on eBay so I don't know the ins and outs of this. I just read that once a case is closed, it can't be reopened. Is this true?

I thought we were given the right to an appeal but it now sounds like I didn't even get a chance.

A few weeks ago, once I realized through research that eBay was probably going to force me to refund the buyer, I called Customer Service and tried to explain. I told them I had new information regarding the buyer. I didn't explain what that info was but the rep apparently noted that in my account... somewhere... I heard typing. Then, I was sort of waiting for the forced return to happen so I could immediately open an appeal with the new info note on record.

I couldn’t do anything otherwise because there was nothing in my account anywhere saying I could appeal at that moment.

It seems now from my research, that eBay automatically closed the case in the buyers favor. When I called the Resolution Center this morning, they basically said they couldn't do anything because the buyer has already been refunded.

But I didn’t even get a chance to appeal. So is this final or can anything be done with potentially new evidence?

You have to call to appeal 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I think unless you have it set as 'no returns' ebay just always refunds buyers and it doesn't matter why.
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@sampleshoppe wrote:

It does prove the book was the responsibility of the buyer and most likely in their possession, and I no longer had access to it.

The buyer did not complain to me about not receiving the book and also did not complain about the shrink wrap  being opened, if in some unlikely scenario a porch pirate had gotten to the access code first. Everything about the transaction was normal in the sense that I shipped it as described and the buyer received it.

Of course that's all very suspicious  so I agree with the others you probably have a thief on your hands .  In the future  when shipping high dollar items  just make sure you have as much protection as possible  in place before you send anything . I had something like this happen a few weeks ago but on another selling site .  This site doesn't allow sellers to bundle  so they  must  ship and pay for shipping each time even if multiple items  are  going to the same buyer at same address . I offer free shipping there as I usually do here  . I WAS paying 4.22 to ship tiny one ounce size packages. So this buyer comes along and purchases two items  at the same time . This time I took a chance and placed both items in one package and shipped . Since you can't link a tracking number  like you can here  only one of the items had a tracking number . So the package arrives right on time ,, buyer gave me a great rating  then turned around and claimed to the selling venue that she never received the second item ,, that just happened to be the one I couldn't put a tracking number on. She never once contacted me  saying she only received half of her order  and she refused any communication  when I tried to contact her  about it.  So she was refunded and I was never paid . Tulips 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply