cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer opened case for item being too small

Hey all,

Almost a year ago I finally started to accept returns & set it as buyer pays return shipping. Since then I've had a couple returns that went smooth.

A few days ago I sold a shirt for only $5. It was one of my own shirts that I wore a couple times. The buyer opened a return request stating that the shirt doesn't match description or photos because "although it's marked a large it's a small" & says that her cousin works for that company & said that it is an irregular from an outlet mall or that I have shrunk it.  Measurements were provided for this shirt & I kow it didn't run small because of the measurements & the fact that it fit me despite the fact that I usually wear an XL.

I don't want to have to pay $4.00 for her to return this $5.00 item to me since I did provide measurements. I don't think I would lose this case with ebay but I don't know if I should decline the return request & message her & let her know that I will accept a return as long as she pays for the return shipping?? I haven't had a case for this reason in a long time & i'm not sure how I handled it.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

You can’t decline a SNAD return. And you can’t win this type of return either. Accept the return. You can file an appeal when you get the item back and try to get the return shipping cost reimbursed.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

First, there is no cousin.  Second,  irregulars have notihng do with sizing.  Third, your best option is to simply refund the money and let the lady keep the item.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Buyers are getting more savvy and claiming that clothing that doesn't fit them was misrepresented to they can get their try-ons and returns for free.

eBay knows this and doesn't care and won't support sellers any more in even the most egregious examples where the buyer even spells it out in a fulsome confession in eBay messages.

Resistance is futile.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I wouldn't let her keep the item, this may be what she does to many sellers! Make her return it to you. You can pay for the label or eBay can. Chances are good she may not even bother. When they have to pack it up and ship it back to you, they often change their minds.
Anyone else's thoughts on this? I know a lot of sellers insist they return the items and many, many times, they never do. You will not be charged for the return shipping unless she actually does return it.
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@lovefindingtreasures2 wrote:
I wouldn't let her keep the item, this may be what she does to many sellers! Make her return it to you. You can pay for the label or eBay can. Chances are good she may not even bother. When they have to pack it up and ship it back to you, they often change their minds.
Anyone else's thoughts on this? I know a lot of sellers insist they return the items and many, many times, they never do. You will not be charged for the return shipping unless she actually does return it.

The trouble is that when the item was just $5, paying for return shipping is just a money vacuum.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

The seller pays no matter what.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Hi, sorry you are going thru this.

This buyer hasn't just opened a return request. This is a Not As Described case and therefore you are on the hook for return shipping. Chances of you winning the case are low, not because you are wrong, but because of the way eBay handles these cases. The buyer nearly always prevails. So, I would refund and let her keep the shirt. Cut your losses. If  you fight and lose, you will be saddled with a defect for "case closed without seller resolution." Over less than $10. I would not risk a mark on my selling acount for an insubstantial amount. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

I actually called ebay about it & they said that a buyer can claim the item is not as described for any reason even if it's not true & they return will have to be approved & the seller will have to a pay shipping if you want the item back. That's so ridiculous. I always provide measurements & a picture of the tag to prevent buyers from saying it was the wrong size but I can see that does me no good. The only reason I started to accept returns was because buyers will always find a way to get a return if they want it bad enough.
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

When selling things like this, you have to separate financial decisions from personal principle feelings and from the risky choices. After you do that, you can choose which of the 3 is most important to you and go with that route.

This is what I gather so far in your situation. Financial Decision: Anyone would tell you in ebay, it's not wise to pay $4 to get back a $5 item. Refund them in full, swallow your pride, make up for the minimal loss on future sales. Save yourself from possible negatives and grueling communication with the buyer. Obviously this is tougher to do if you aren't an avid seller. I haven't looked into the OP to see if he is or not.

Principle Feelings: All sellers will agree that the buyer should not get any handouts from you. Doing so will teach the buyer that his behavior will cause sellers to give in, thus getting free stuff. They will then try this over and over until someone stands up to them. This will cause an overall sense of entitlement for the buyer and will create a terrible marketplace in ebay. @missjen831 Is it true that you can appeal and get your return s/h cost back? I've never heard of this.

Risky Choices: Like others have said here... even though some buyers file SNADs and get free return shipping, they still might not return the item. I've seen this too myself. If you call their return bluff and close the return because the buyer didn't send the item back, they will be unable to leave you feedback. If this person is a seller, they WOULD know the return shipping costs and quite possibly be trying to bully you into making the financial decision. I've done this before... some succeeded and the buyer stopped responding, some I've failed and the buyer returns the item and I lost more money versus just refunding the buyer and letting them keep the item. That's the risk.

Regardless of what you choose, make sure to report the buyer of this behavior. If the buyer gets numerous reports of this, ebay will look more closely into their actions and take appropriate steps. Don't ignore the one shred of power ebay still allows sellers to have here, please report the buyer.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@shopkiger wrote:
I actually called ebay about it & they said that a buyer can claim the item is not as described for any reason even if it's not true & they return will have to be approved & the seller will have to a pay shipping if you want the item back. That's so ridiculous. I always provide measurements & a picture of the tag to prevent buyers from saying it was the wrong size but I can see that does me no good. The only reason I started to accept returns was because buyers will always find a way to get a return if they want it bad enough.

I sell enough clothing to tell you that even if the buyer incriminates themselves in messages, it doesn't matter as long as they file a SNAD. ebay will still side with them. I've had buyers admit they missed the size chart or returned the item incomplete and still demand full returns and refuse to pay for return s/h (because of the whole entitlement), Ebay ends up siding with every one of them. Get the buyer to incriminate themselves all you want, ebay doesn't care.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

But only if the label is used...correct?

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

But only if the label is used...correct?

Right 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc Yes it’s true the seller can appeal after the item is returned. Appealing only gets the return shipping cost returned. So if the buyer files a false SNAD, the seller should appeal the case once the item is returned. 

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@shopkiger wrote:

Yes, it's ridiculous but there's nothing for it.  I still accept returns because although the percentage is decreasing, there's still a majority of people who will choose the honest reason for returning and will pay for the return shipping and accept that they won't get their original shipping refunded. So until that scale totally tips, I just live with it.

Still, it's very disappointing.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply