cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

active content

i got this letter from ebay.  i don't understand what part of my ads have active content .  can someone look at some of my ads and give me a simple explanation or example. 

Dear tommy94005

We're writing to let you know that as of March 14, 2017, at least 45 of your listings on the eBay.com sites contain active content.   Active content (e.g. JavaScript, Plug-ins or Flash, iFrame and Form actions) will no longer display in your eBay listings starting in June 2017.

While your listings will still remain active, certain text, images, and other elements may not display as intended once active content is disabled. See the table below for specific examples from your listings.

Removing active content from your listings will give you the following benefits:

• Improved performance on mobile devices
  • Faster load times
  • A more secure marketplace

Here's a closer look at your listings that contain active content: eBay.com
Active content type Number of listings Sample listing IDs Form Actions 1 272567140947 JavaScript 44 272561401438, 351985750133, 272561401453, 351985750136, 272561420729, 351985772424, 351985772429, 351985772430, 272561434195, 272561434196 To ensure the best experience for shoppers, please remove the active content listed above or replace it with HTML or CSS alternatives as soon as possible

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

active content

@tommy94005

Your Froo promo gallery is most of the problem. You might contact them to see if they have a remove and replace tool. They should be working on a compliant gallery.

Otherwise, you can locate your Active Content using this tool

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentScanner.htm

and can generate cleaned up code using this tool

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentSandbox.htm

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

active content

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

active content

@tommy94005

Your Froo promo gallery is most of the problem. You might contact them to see if they have a remove and replace tool. They should be working on a compliant gallery.

Otherwise, you can locate your Active Content using this tool

and can generate cleaned up code using this tool

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentSandbox.htm

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

active content

Thank you so much for sharing that link above! Most of my guess work was helped with that run.
I have a few hundred to correct! on a positive note It will give me a chance to review some stale listings and update.
Does anyone know if the old frames ebay previously provided to us for free will be removed by ebay OR do WE have to do/figure that out?
Also, assuming FROO is an issue and needs to be removed..
DOES anyone think the least Froo can do is add something like a "blank" OR a removal tab we could add to ALL our listings to make life easy 🙂
Thanks!
Lorieann Laux
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

active content

@lorieannm

Froo is on the list that eBay published on this page

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/bestpractices.html
Click the link to scroll down to "Need Help Managing Active Content?"

Not sure what they are offering existing users.

"old frames ebay previously provided to us for free"

Someone else mentioned something like that but I was unsure how that came about. Do you have an example? Is it something eBay added or something a third-party tool added?

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

active content

I got the same message yesterday morning. I decided to remove the active content using the sanbox link. I spent 11 hours yesterday and another 9 hours today removing active content on about 158 listings. It is very time consuming, but I found sell-a-thon was the most HTML on these listings and I never saw it on my listings nor did I subscribe to it, along with Auctiva. This stuff must have been running in the back ground on these listings.  While I was at it, I changed these listings to Mobile Friendly right away. When doing this, if you don't have ALL of the active content removed you will get the red error message. Then go back and check for active content again and remove any that you may have missed, then run the Mobile Friendly again and it should work. Atleast it did for me.

I pity those sellers that have hundreds of listings to do, as it will take them a long, long time if not weeks. eBay could have the "Intelligent" IT department figure out something so us sellers don't have to waste days doing this. But, they just may be lazy and over paid.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

active content

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

active content

After using the bulk active content scanner all my auctions appeared in the red section is this correct.
I am guessing when ebay makes the change in June as to no active content my auctions that were scanned and revised will just have that removed and it will not effect my auctions as in the case of being removed from ebay?
That was a long run on sentence......sorry.
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

active content

hi all !
i never used a third party nor have i ever inserted any additional code or links in the html coding still...ALL my listings have active content... i have my terms and conditions in a word format that i copy in my listings. could this be it?
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

active content

I worked for hours to fix all my listing and got no where. Went through 360 listings 3 times and when I rechecked them, they where all wrong again. I feel hopeless. What will e-bay do if my listings are not finished by June 1. I can't find a true answer for this question. I feel like I have just been fired from my job. If any one out there knows what will happen to my listing if they are not ready , please let me know.
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

active content

I also got the message about active content in my listings. All my listin gs are generated via an outside listing medium:Seller Sourcebook. So I called Ebay. She looked at some of my listings and said sure enough they all were filled with Active Content

I was told a lot of lies such as all nice borders have to be removed and the descriptions need to be shortened. None of this is true so I asked the rep if they were just trying to get all listings generated through the actual Ebay lsting method. Response was that yes this was true as  they want all listings to be uniform and no one would then have an advantage. over another seller I just laughed - not very capitalistic. Then the rep said that the Ebay software is having great difficulty because many listings take up too much space and the real objecive was to make it easy for mobile buyers. What a crock!

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

active content

I removed my active content webstore etc. My sales dropped off considerably.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

active content

I removed my active content and my sales dropped off considerably. Just great

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

active content

@brandedandsigned

I scanned your listings hereand see that five still have active content.

When I click EXAMINE on the red rows, I can see they  contain something called SupremeWidget from Supreme Auction.

To stop that code from being inserted into new listings, you will need to revoke their token in your eBay account:

My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > Third-party authorizations

Since the code is at the very bottom of your description, I think you can simply revise the listing, put your cursor on the very last character of your description and delete everything from there to the end. Then type that last character back into your description.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

active content

i just ran the scanner and its show them all 441 ok?????

Message 15 of 24
latest reply