cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you agree to this return request?

I'll try and keep it short. Anyway, I recently sold a pair of new women's running shoes. I had many photos, which perfectly captured the shoes and their color. In the title I put 'Moyen d Orange' (which is the manufacturers name for the color of the shoes, with photos of the tag in the listing) and in parenthesis (looks like a Coral  color - see photos). Now the buyer requests to return shoes saying that in the listing "they look orange and in the description is says orange, while in person they look more Coral'. Well my photos capture the color perfectly and in the title I say they look more Coral. I can't afford to do business like this anymore. I am not a national retailer. If the listing shows and says exactly what you will be getting, yet you want to return the item is that fair or reasonalble? Thanks in advance for your input. 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @goldrushfinds, You have over 1,100 seller feedback, TRS, terrific profile, over 200 active listings.  That return catch you on a bad day?  Your listing states "looks like a coral color, see photos."  Unfortunately, on the monitor I'm on now, the shoes look blood orange.  Deal with the return with as much grace as you can muster and live to sell another day.  Good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

You have a 30 day return policy. That means you accept all returns. It doesn’t matter if you think the reason is unreasonable. You have a return policy. Consider switching to no returns if you want to be able to deny remorse returns.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Did they select SNAD as the dispute?

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Buyer has just emailed me and not filed a return request yet.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@goldrushfinds wrote:
Buyer has just emailed me and not filed a return request yet.

Then don’t do anything. If and when they open a return, it will be automatically approved by eBay because you have a 30 day return policy. 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

You're right buyers wrong,but if they file you're wrong and their right and you won't win the dispute and if you fight it they'll refund the buyer debit your account and allow them to keep the merchandise... Its a no winner...

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I'd just tell them sure send them back to avoid the ding that helps you get to the 14% FVF level....

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

You may be right, but I have to say (and I know it is my choice) that this is a God awful way to make some extra cash. If I say no returns, I would probably lose ~ 50% of my sales. If I accept them, I end up making ~ $5 an hour. Not worth the headaches in my opinion. Maybe better categories to sell in, but too much competition, too many site changes, too tight of profit margins, and too much uncertainty for my blood.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Hi @goldrushfinds, You have over 1,100 seller feedback, TRS, terrific profile, over 200 active listings.  That return catch you on a bad day?  Your listing states "looks like a coral color, see photos."  Unfortunately, on the monitor I'm on now, the shoes look blood orange.  Deal with the return with as much grace as you can muster and live to sell another day.  Good luck!

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Tell the buyer,provide the shoes haven't been worn they need to to make an as described return request tell them you can't make any decisions until an as described return request is made,if they keep on just tell them you want it to be a happy sale and please if you are wanting to return to do the as described return request,i would copy and paste that and maybe add any discussions of returns must be handled with return requests through eBay (add per eBay) if you hear from them again,don't get in a back in forth,i promise you don't,if they do it take it back wouldn't advise partials if the buyer wants to really return it makes no difference you don't want eBay to step in it will make you fees go up ,sounds like they are Jonesen for a free be or a partial,if they say they've been worn tell um they can try but they need to to do the as described return request and that's all i can say,don't say anything,your just shooting yourself in the foot i promise.this gets rid of 75% of mine and they leave pos,you can tell them to call eBay if they want this is how eBay wants these concerns handled,i have told them that,don't argue about color they know
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@goldrushfinds

< my photos capture the color perfectly >   

The color may look perfect on your monitor, but monitors vary.  For an eye-opening demonstration of this, go into a large store that has a number of color televisions on display, each tuned to the same channel.  Some of the differences are striking. 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@goldrushfinds wrote:
You may be right, but I have to say (and I know it is my choice) that this is a God awful way to make some extra cash. If I say no returns, I would probably lose ~ 50% of my sales. If I accept them, I end up making ~ $5 an hour. Not worth the headaches in my opinion. Maybe better categories to sell in, but too much competition, too many site changes, too tight of profit margins, and too much uncertainty for my blood.

If you had no returns, a determined buyer will just say  they are damaged and return them anyway.

Learned that the hard way. 

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@moms**art**window** wrote:
Tell the buyer,provide the shoes haven't been worn they need to to make an as described return request tell them you can't make any decisions until an as described return request is made,if they keep on just tell them you want it to be a happy sale and please if you are wanting to return to do the as described return request,i would copy and paste that and maybe add any discussions of returns must be handled with return requests through eBay (add per eBay) if you hear from them again,don't get in a back in forth,i promise you don't,if they do it take it back wouldn't advise partials if the buyer wants to really return it makes no difference you don't want eBay to step in it will make you fees go up ,sounds like they are Jonesen for a free be or a partial,if they say they've been worn tell um they can try but they need to to do the as described return request and that's all i can say,don't say anything,your just shooting yourself in the foot i promise.this gets rid of 75% of mine and they leave pos,you can tell them to call eBay if they want this is how eBay wants these concerns handled,i have told them that,don't argue about color they know

You may have had some naive buyers but many know their rights.  They can return these shoes for any reason and nothing a seller says or does will stop it.  And if a seller drags his feet, they will just go to ebay and the seller will get a defect.

The knowledge is out there, and the cat has been let out of the bag.  

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@moms**art**window** wrote:

I doubt any buyer is going to understand what a “as described” return request is. And the buyer can open whatever kind of request they want and most know that. There’s really no need to engage the buyer and tell them you can’t make a decision until the request is opened, that’s a great way to tick a buyer off considering THE OP ACCEPTS RETURNS!

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

If the buyer has not opened a return, there is nothing to do. Seems like they may be fishing for a discount by using your fear of the dreaded return request or NAD.
If buyer does end up returning it, make sure you report a problem with the buyer when you are refunding, from the drop-down list, choose "Do not agree with buyer's reason for return". Ebay apparently tallies those up and if a buyer is over-using or misusing returns, it will eventually catch up. It's supposed to protect you from feedback too, but I'm not so sure how true that is (ebay isn't always transparent with what/why/how they do things).
Message 15 of 19
latest reply