cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is international Registered mail inbound into the United States disappears so frequently?

Why does the international Registered mail inbound into the United States disappears so frequently? I've sent registered mail to India, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Argentina, Colombia, Ukraine even Iraq on several occasions and they all arrived, but to the United States, - every 2nd to 3rd registered mail pieces, and sometimes MOST of them, just disappear into a black hole within the United States, with the United States Postal Service (USPS) being irresponsible and refusing to compensate a measly loss of $40 indemnity? Then our local postal service in Europe compensates us (at no fault of theirs), without being compensated by the USPS! Are we dealing with a Lost World country postal service now? I) will have to block any Registered mail to the United States now, that is worth above $40, to only ship more valued orders via UPS (FedEx is a joke these days) and an occasional risk-by-recipient via Air Mail no tracking which arrives to North Africa (sorry, North America) mostly unmolested, but for how much longer? Are US Americans now proud of their country, which they claim to be the richest, the free-est, the most-est, the X-est in the world?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Why is international Registered mail inbound into the United States disappears so frequently?

So if you are listed as living in Portugal....and mailing something to the USA...which by the way, I see no feedback of any sort for almost a year by you or given to you.

International Mail with tracking from Portugal is not the same as registered mail of USA to Portugal.

Knocking the USPS isn't rather fair since the item being mailed maybe didn't make it out of Portugal maybe due to it being lost in Portugal or not enough of postage maybe. 

The USPS does a rather great job with registered mail leaving the USA. I have never had anything lost.

Perhaps the country you live in the city you live in could have problems sending items to the USA which I don't think they call it registered mail in Portugal...but I could be wrong.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I receive multiple international packages per month. I have never had a single one go missing. In fact, I have two that are on track to be arriving this week.

Are you talking Registered Mail (which is a very specific class of mail that has strict restrictions on its handling) or just tracked international mail?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You will probably find the USPS information page on International Registered Mail to be interesting if a bit confusing:

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is-Registered-Mail-International

USPS doesn't consider International Registered Mail to be trackable and inbound international registered items are handled as First Class Mail, which is technically a non-trackable service, as far as I know.  (I'm in Canada.)

When one registers an internationally-bound mail item, it's up to the destination country's postal service to decide how it should be handled.  I believe this is a Universal Postal Union convention.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Hard to tell.... It tailed off into a jingoistic rant at the end...

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Your confidence in the USPS is from not paying attention. Did you notice the word "inbound"? Sales do not have to be ebay sales. In my case I never sell on ebay, ever since Y2K once I have learned what ebay is. Portuguese CTT always provides full tracking all the way to the mail piece exiting and entering Portugal. Then, once it's in the international waters, it's a complete silence (USA) and as I already wrote, very frequently, the registered mail piece (and especially international Priority mail) just disappears in the United States and is never found again. My post is based strictly on facts and experiences of my own and of the closest friends and allies whom I trust.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Just as the heading of my post says (if you pay attention and have some trust in other people): Registered mail inbound into the United States. And this is from my 40+ years experience with international mail, off and on, huge losses. It either disappears somewhere in the US or is returned undelivered due to some hilarious error. I used to write "ESTADOS UNIDOS DA AMÉRICA" (country of origin requires using local language) on the recipient address label, so they kept on returning the Registered mail to me "UNDELIVERED" since their machine mail does not recognise the country.... so I started writing UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND THE "UNDELIVERABLE AS ADDRESSED" returns diminished, but now Registered mail simply disappears and is not received by the recipients already several mails in a row are missing.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks and I knew this ever since year 2009 when this "License to Steal Registered Mail" was implemented. I know that Registered mail inbound into the USA is no longer very secure, but they must collect a signature of the recipient even that they don't always collect it and they always keep a delifvgery (delivered) record. So if the recipient says they never received it, I submit a search application on my side and after up to 3 months I received an answer with either Delivered on "date" or not found. In the case of not found they refund and ever decreasing amount, which used to be about $42 but now it is just 30 DTS (some postal currency units) that total to about $36 which is next to nothing, with all this inflation over the many decades. Postal services have become a joke and really unfair compensation, if any. While on our side we pay for REGISTERED MAIL, United States treats it as First Class rubbish basically. Which is unfair. Years ago I stopped purchasing fro9m United States and now I am going to limit Registered Mail to $40 maximum, so in the case of a theft ("loss") I can get reimbursed almost in full as well. All orders above $40 will have to pay a very expensive EMS, UPS charges which are now close to the value nearing $100, but there is one way of shipping or mailing which is basic mail, without tracking, it's called Air Mail or Simple Mail, which costs over $2 to mail and it is being sent on Recipients Own Risk, but is still a very safe mailing method in comparison when it is mailed to the United States (although not to India!).

So why am I so upset, because the last couple orders over $250 worth that were Registered-mailed to the US have disappeared and having to replace or refund $500 is not easy when the bad economy including high grocery prices for everyone has already destroyed most of the income.

Now how do I know that the Registered mail is being lost in the U.S. since Registered mail once the tracking shows "International Dispatch" from Lisbon it flies to the US and arrives at the infamous ISC either NY or Miami etc. where it often disappears to.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

A lot of U.S. Americans lately select Air Mail (Basic Mail, Normal Mail, Uninsured Untracked Unregistered Mail Sent On Recipient's Own Risk) when they place their international orders and there is a good reason for that. Basic Mail arrives fast and unmolested even that it is uninsured and has got no tracking. Registered Mail (more expensive than Basic Mail, but not by much) no longer is a good option to deliver to the United States, because of MASSIVE THEFT and FAKE NIXIES. The volumes of mail theft and other crime in the USA can only be matched with Somalia, Yemen, Afghanistan, Niger, El Salvador and Guatemala these days. I sent two shipments in September (2 months ago). One arrived back with a fake "Nixie". Why fake nixie? because the address of the recipient is correct and was confirmed and reconfirmed by the buyer. The other registered shipment has disappeared and my local postal service announced it as "lost". I don't lose hope to receive it back in a same fashion as a fake "Nixie". From now on I will discontinue providing "Registered Mail" to certain countries in Africa, Afghanistan, Iraq (takes too long to arrive in Iraq, about 9 months) and the United States of America. Too many problems to these countries. I think I should include Yemen and Russia in that list as well.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply