cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't buyers earn Ebay Bucks on shipping fees if we pay seller fees on shipping?

Just some food for thought, since Ebay seems to be doing a lot more 5, 8 and 10% Extra Ebay Buck deals lately.

If sellers have to pay Ebay fees on shipping, why do buyers not earn Ebay Bucks on shipping?

Admittedly this doesn't affect a lot of sales given how Ebay pushes seller towards free shipping (something I do think buyers strongly prefer), but it does seem to penalize those buyers of items with itemized shipping costs - to Ebay's benefit.

It just seemed a bit hypocrete to me, and at the least I think it's something that we should be aware of and pointed out. Once I realized this (due to a purchase where shipping was a large, but realistic, percentage of the sale), it kinda irritated me.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Why don't buyers earn Ebay Bucks on shipping fees if we pay seller fees on shipping?

Me personally, I'll take a discount, freebie, perk whateva, anywhere I can get it.LOL

I'm not likely to criddle on the details..

It does seem a bit one sided but what can ya do? I'm still gonna be happy for the eBay Bucks I DO get. Smiley Wink

CHEERS

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Um, the technique is known as "Behavior Monetization" to persuade both buyers and sellers to choose free shipping.

You'll get the maximum eBay Bucks possible if you only purchase listings with free shipping.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Technically the two things have nothing to do with each other. The fvf  on shipping is just the way to make the allocation most fair. I don't remember it ever being tied to ebay Bucks although I don't remember the timing.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

eBay bucks is not aplicable to services.

Buyers do not pay fees on shipping. Buyers agree to sellers' shipping charge and the seller pays the fees. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

oh good gosh already....

and if the seller offers FREE SHIPPING>>>> they should receive Ebay Bucks!!!! oh please.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@pikabo-icu wrote:

Me personally, I'll take a discount, freebie, perk whateva, anywhere I can get it.LOL

It does seem a bit one sided but what can ya do? I'm still gonna be happy for the eBay Bucks I DO get. Smiley Wink

CHEERS

There is an 8% ebay bucks on anything, no minimum, floating around right now which I just took advantage of.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@gsf_tech wrote:

Because it looks better on the surface to say to is 1% and exclude shipping in the small print than to admit it is actually less than 1%.

Just as it looks better on the surface to say you have seller protection but then exclude most cases in the fine print.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@pikabo-icu wrote:

It does seem a bit one sided but what can ya do? I'm still gonna be happy for the eBay Bucks I DO get. Smiley Wink

CHEERS

By all means, me too. I couldn't be happier about Ebay giving discounts. It just felt a little shady to me that we pay fees on the full price, including the actual shipping price, whereas they only reward buyers on item price. It seems like they applied common sense to the discount they provide, but didn't give sellers the same courtesy.

@tarpedge wrote:
You'll get the maximum eBay Bucks possible if you only purchase listings with free shipping.

Yes, that's what I was pointing out. Which for some buyers and sales means you'll get less than the advertised discount. This would be perfectly normal, and reasonable, if it weren't because sellers still pay fees on the actual shipping. Ebay is who made it the other way around in the first place, albeit we all know this was because of shady sellers with a 0.01$ listing price and 99$ shipping.

@pingpong517 wrote:

oh good gosh already....

and if the seller offers FREE SHIPPING>>>> they should receive Ebay Bucks!!!! oh please.

Did this answer provide any valuable insight I didn't catch?  Smiley Indifferent

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Technically the two things have nothing to do with each other. The fvf  on shipping is just the way to make the allocation most fair. I don't remember it ever being tied to ebay Bucks although I don't remember the timing.

I vehemently disagree. FVF on shipping in no way makes the allocation fair, nor is that the premise. If you sell a 3$ item of which 2.61$ is actual shipping, your paying 0.30$ FVF on a 0.30$ item. It was never based on fairness, it was based on preventing fraud from sellers with exorbitant shipping prices to pay less seller fees themselves on the item.

@plumbingspecials wrote:

eBay bucks is not aplicable to services.

Buyers do not pay fees on shipping. Buyers agree to sellers' shipping charge and the seller pays the fees. 

Yes, I know, but in that sense FVF is on services. This is not law, this is simply an Ebay policy that I think sellers should disagree with. Ebay saves money in Ebay Bucks when we list shipping separetely (in oposition to Free Shipping), and the only loser there is the buyer. Either way it is financially irrelevant to the seller.

@emerald40 wrote:

There is an 8% ebay bucks on anything, no minimum, floating around right now which I just took advantage of.

Yup, that's why I wrote this post. I bought an 50$ item with 20$ shipping, and it bugged me that the seller paid FVF on the  70$, whereas I only received Ebay Bucks on the 50$. The lack of consistency (in their benefit) is what caught my attention.

@luckythewinner wrote:

Because it looks better on the surface to say to is 1% and exclude shipping in the small print than to admit it is actually less than 1%.
Just as it looks better on the surface to say you have seller protection but then exclude most cases in the fine print.

I'll simply nod to this. 'Nuff said.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply