cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does eBay allow the selling of foods or supplements that are expired

With all the items that are prohibited why are people able to list items where the expiration date is missing or expired.

eBay's policy prohibits the listing of expired foods and when listing you are required to clearly state the expiration date in the item description.   The listing of nutritional supplements are categorized as foods by the FDA, and therefore are required to have an expiration date. Yet I find that this is not being done in the majority of listings.  You would think that an expiration date would be a requirement.  Rather it's relegated  to buyer beware. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The buying experience has been buyer beware since time immemorial.   No different now.

Ebay has scads of policies that ebay cannot possibly enforce.   Even if every listing violating policy were reported, I doubt ebay has the staff to process all those reports.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@lightlily_arts wrote:

The listing of nutritional supplements are categorized as foods by the FDA, and therefore are required to have an expiration date.

I couldn't find any internet search results that support that statement. When you get a moment, could you post your source for this? It came up in a thread the other day where a member was selling some kind of supplement that list the date of manufacture and not the expiration date. I'd love to be able to bookmark a citation for the info you found. TIA!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Yes, and this is why eBay is awesome and I love selling here.  It's up to the buyer to research and be informed before making a purchase. eBay buyers are absolutely the most informed buyers on the internet.  Return rate is next to nothing.  Amazon on the other hand...

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@lightlily_arts 

Being invested in your purchases means doing your due diligence.  Read the listing, look at all pictures, check for expiration date (if applicable), ask questions, then either purchase or move on.  

Not worth the energy beating your head against the wall.

With Kindness, 

Grandma 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I could not find one that supported it but this one disproves it. 

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/confused-date-labels-packaged-foods 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Truthfully I was actually thinking about food items which eBay prohibits the sale of expired items.  For example,  Nutrition bars can be classified as either a food item or nutritional supplement. but both are required to have an expiration date listed.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@lightlily_arts wrote:

The listing of nutritional supplements are categorized as foods by the FDA, and therefore are required to have an expiration date.  

Please post a link that supports this statement. 

According to the FDA website, the FDA only requires one food item to have an expiration date: baby formula.  

"Manufacturers generally apply date labels at their own discretion and for a variety of reasons. The most common is to inform consumers and retailers of the date up to which they can expect the food to retain its desired quality and flavor. The key exception to this general rule is for infant formula products. These products are required to bear a “Use By” date, up to which the manufacturer has confirmed that the product contains no less than a minimum amount of each nutrient identified on the product label, and that the product will be of an acceptable quality."

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/confused-date-labels-packaged-foods

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

But there are expiration dates-- after which the food might actually be dangerous to eat like milk or jerky.

And Best Before dates-- after which the food might have loss some nutrition (canned green beans) or become less pleasant (week old stale dry bread).

And sometimes manufacturers use date of packaging on goods like salt that have been salt for millions of years and will continue to be salt for millions of years if you don't use it to season the pasta.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I don't think eBay has the software to follow the dates.  What if it's listed as GTC on Sept 2021 with an expiration date of June 2022 but does not sell until Dec 2022?  

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Ebay cannot possibly keep an eye on every listing that has an expired item. If you want it off Ebay you will have to do the legwork.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply