cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did eBay stop instant pay for sellers??

I now know why!! eBay keeps our payments for 7 to 10 days so they can collect the interest, take their fee's and ruin a seller's positive selling and shipping status. I have been bamboselled by 2 buyers who got refunds and eBay, despite my protests, were able to keep the item. Legally a seller is to be made whple. When eBay does this no seller is legally whole. When you tell eBay about the buyer's you hear nothing back. So, I take this as the buyer's have more rights than the seller's. We as a eBay community need these actions to stop.  eBay is no longer the reputable place for seller's. Maybe a class action lawsuit with all the seller's in every state should file. I'm strongly thinking about it. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@donovansdelicables,

PayPal used to provide instant access to seller's funds for some transactions (not all), because many PayPal users maintained a balance and kept funds in their PayPal account. That made it possible for PayPal for provide access to funds before they cleared, although PayPal is now scaling back on this, and no longer offers the upgraded program (Funds Now), where select sellers could register so that their funds would not be not held even if the payment was disputed.

Most payment processors don't offer that, and since you can't maintain a balance in your eBay account, this is not feasible for managed payments or other traditional payment processors. 

You are expected to ship items once the payment is shown as "Available" in your eBay account. You're not supposed to wait until the funds are received in your checking account, and it doesn't provide any more safety if you do wait.

As far as the return requests go, if a buyer claims that an item is not as described, then you have to accept the return request if you want to get the item back. If you don't accept the return, then eBay has to assume that you don't want it back, but the buyer is still entitled to a refund because of the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

If you wanted the item to be returned, then you needed to accept the return request.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@donovansdelicables 

They don't earn any interest on the money.

How are they going to ruin your positive selling and shipping status?

If a buyer filed an INAD and you tried fighting it, yes, they could refund the buyer and let them keep the item and that has nothing to with MP.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

When you sell on eBay you have agreed to abide by their Terms and Conditions/Policies. One of those is you agreed to not be part of a class-action lawsuit. 

eBay Seller Leader: Detroit-Ann Arbor In-Person eBay Networking Events
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

@donovansdelicables wrote:

I now know why!! eBay keeps our payments for 7 to 10 days so they can collect the interest, take their fee's and ruin a seller's positive selling and shipping status. I have been bamboselled by 2 buyers who got refunds and eBay, despite my protests, were able to keep the item. Legally a seller is to be made whple. When eBay does this no seller is legally whole. When you tell eBay about the buyer's you hear nothing back. So, I take this as the buyer's have more rights than the seller's. We as a eBay community need these actions to stop.  eBay is no longer the reputable place for seller's. Maybe a class action lawsuit with all the seller's in every state should file. I'm strongly thinking about it. 

*bamboozled

No, actually it's so that eaby can be certain they have the money when a buyer gets refunded in accordance with policy and MBG.  Too many sellers would withdraw the money and leave eaby hanging with "courtesy" refunds, not sure exactly how they would manage to keep selling after pulling off such a stunt but I have little doubt that was the case.

Also you'll first need to find an attorney willing to take your case, many will advise against it, the few who will go to court with you will want to have their fees paid upfront (for the same reason, they want to be sure they have their money for when things go belly up (and their client is suddenly nowhere to be found)).
That money issue, when certain sellers are nowhere to be found when the buyer wants their refund is what lies behind eaby's actions.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

it sound to me like you have issues with the MBG and are blaming ebay or inferring that it was easier with paypal

the MBG needs to be followed no matter how you get paid.............using MP is not any harder or easier with a return than it was with paypal.

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I have accepted the returns with refunds. But, that doesn't change the fact that eBay puts the buyer first. Also, I have a 99.2% rating for all you nay sayers. So, if there are funds on my payments or not. Is really no concern to me. I've spoken to many sellers and it doesn't matter how much is in your account, they still hold payment processing for 7 to 10 business days. And, some of us seller's need the funds immediately because it's are only income.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@donovansdelicables wrote:

I now know why!! eBay keeps our payments for 7 to 10 days so they can collect the interest

You're about the 500th person to post that bogus statement.

Maybe a class action lawsuit with all the seller's in every state should file. I'm strongly thinking about it. 

Maybe read the User Agreement first. And you're probably the 50,000th person to suggest a class action. Funny how they never happen.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

By using ebay you agree to the buyers guarantee if you sell here.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy... 

https://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/ 

Now if the buyer ripped you off: file with law enforcement..

Also a lot more information would be useful from you on this mess...

Griping about getting payed fast like PP is a waist of time buy the way....Aint gong to happen on ebay no more....

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I have been bamboselled by 2 buyers who got refunds and eBay, despite my protests, were able to keep the item

These buyers could have done this whether or not eBay had "instant pay for sellers".

When you tell eBay about the buyer's you hear nothing back. So, I take this as the buyer's have more rights than the seller's

Yes, that has been true since 2008. And it would be true whether or not eBay had "instant pay for sellers".

Legally a seller is to be made whole. When eBay does this no seller is legally whole.

Please cite the law that you feel is being broken (Hint - there isn't one).

eBay is no longer the reputable place for seller's.

It works fine for me.

Maybe a class action lawsuit with all the seller's in every state should file. I'm strongly thinking about it. 

You and the hundreds of others who post about it here but never file a lawsuit and continue selling here.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

law cannot do ANYTHING if you were scammed for $20 or $100.......depending on which State or Country you are, the minimum amount to sue anyone in court has to be a couple of thousands of USD.

And the OP is right. EBay DOESNT care to verify anything. They accept any claim, despite being bogus or ridiculous.

Receintly I had to refund a buyer who bought a Laptop but said "it had broken hinges".......I requested to provide pictures to verify this, but he didn't do anything (of course that was a lie, the Laptop has packed with 3 layers of extra heavy bubble bags, there was not a chance it could get broken).

When I ask eBay to at least request EVIDENCE of the claim, they said they don't need evidence, if the buyer wants to return the ítem, you have to pay.........so, I would have to spend $150 in shipping, to refund a $50 item........

Buyers clearly know which ítems they can file returns to avoid having to return the ítem. In fact, this happened me TWICE in one month, and thankfully, one of the scammers who pull this, didn't posted the item back, even thou I BOUGTH the return ticket.

Still, even then, eBay said he had 7 days to return the ítem, but they granted him 30 days of time to return it (which caused me to lose the $$ I spent on the ticket. If they would have granted him what the policy says, I would be able to cancel the purchase of that ticket, and get the money back).

Sorry, but the OP is 100% right. EBay doesn't care at all about sellers.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

So we have no legal recourse for eBay holding our payments 30 to 40 days?

I find it funny I have been selling and buying for 23 years with a 100% rating with over 700 transactions.

2023 November December I sold thre McIntosh amps and preamps, several outlaw and Kenwood receivers. Averages $1200. Per sale. Then 2024 I sell a Kenwood receiver for $1500. And they hit me with a 20 day wait. I had good communication with the buyer and sent the copy of transaction with customer plus he gave a review for a great unit. With video of unit playing in his home.

so they extended my  wait time to 30 days. I called three times and spoke with a live representative. They each claimed I would be pay within a couple days.

called to day and ask for a supervisor he claims since I shipped to a different address request by customer I committed an illegal act. You can only send to register accounts address. So Scott said we are protecting you the seller. He acknowledged he saw the positive review and the message exchange with the customer. He understands the customer is happy and unit is working. But doesn’t remove hold.

it may go from 30 days to 40 days. Because it’s $1550. 
I threatened to cancel my account and Scott says why we are trying to protect you the seller????

23 years with eBay with perfect rating!

look me up MCS Vintage Sound.

Scott senior rep told me that is how it will be from now on.

so not sure if it’s whole paying 13.75% on my sales, $$50. To a hundred dollars for a reserve price each listing. eBay is making it impossible on reliably of an income.

yes I was planning on listing a lot more but it seems I spend more money on the listing and fees to the point I burn thru $500 to $600 dollars a month trying to sell at lower and lower prices for equipment I have purchased for a lot higher price a couple years before on eBay. Every time they auto relist they say lower price and absorb shipping cost.

seems the only people making money would be EBAY.

maybe this would be good to show a bunch of our eBay sales data to the Orlando Channel Nine News investigation team. Maybe with enough TV coverage people would see how costly it is to sell on EBay.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@mcsvintagesound wrote:

So we have no legal recourse for eBay holding our payments 30 to 40 days?

Why would you have legal recourse?  You agreed to it when you signed up.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply