cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why cant sellers open return requests on behalf of the buyer

This should be common sense but either party should be able to open a return request for the buyer. Most of these buyers dont know which way is up, the return process is the safest way for the selller facilitate  the return anyway so if the buyer is asking for a refund why cant we hit that button for them??

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Makes no sense for a seller to ruin their own seller metrics to be able to do that. 
Sellers do have the option to refund a buyer without opening a case. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

eBay's Money Back Guarantee could not be any simpler for buyers.

When/if you discover a buyer wants to return, but does not know how to proceed, maybe you could talk him through the process.

This is far-fetched, I know, but what about a seller who does that without the buyer actually wanting to make a return?

Again, the process is actually pretty simple.  Have you had a lot of buyers who wanted to return things but didn't know how to do it?  

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@awesome_electronics 

Prematurely responding to a buyer's return request (without following the procedures outlined by eBay's Money Back Guarantee) could potentially back-fire on a seller:  what if your wily buyer is attempting to side-step the MBG?

Previous threads on this site have reported inexperienced sellers who have made premature returns, and who have then been gouged a SECOND time by their buyers, due to a return of which eBay was unaware.

The MBG process is not that confusing or convoluted, and protects BOTH the buyer AND the seller.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@awesome_electronics wrote:

This should be common sense but either party should be able to open a return request for the buyer. Most of these buyers dont know which way is up, the return process is the safest way for the selller facilitate  the return anyway so if the buyer is asking for a refund why cant we hit that button for them??

I suspect it is because sellers would abuse that ability, and open returns for buyers who did not want a return opened for them. 

For instance, they might open a remorse return that requires the buyer to pay return shipping, when the buyer wanted a "Not As Described" dispute. 

Also,. it would put the timing of the dispute in the hands of the seller, not the buyer, a buyer might not be ready to return an item, but by opening the dispute and accepting it it would start the clock on the return. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

No, it isn't a good idea to predict what other people are thinking. We don't know what the buyer wants beside a refund if that's what they're asking for, sellers have no way of knowing the buyer actually intends to return the item. In fact, some buyers change their minds about their refund when confronted with the fact they have to return the item. As someone said, the returns system is designed to protect both the buyer and the seller.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Most of these buyers dont know which way is up

Send the buyer a link to the help page @awesome_electronics :

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/return-item-refund?id=4041

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

When/if you discover a buyer wants to return, but does not know how to proceed, maybe you could talk him through the process.

This is far-fetched, I know, but what about a seller who does that without the buyer actually wanting to make a return?

Again, the process is actually pretty simple.  Have you had a lot of buyers who wanted to return things but didn't know how to do it?  

Yes - And typically a lot of aggressive/upset buyers that don't want constructive conversation. If I could click a button with the return request and the shipping label in their email the minute they say "i want my money back" that shouldnt be too hard to implement.

Ebay already relies on thes eller not abusing things when you select reason for cancel, I dontk now why this would be such a problem.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Yes - And typically a lot of aggressive/upset buyers that don't want constructive conversation. If I could click a button with the return request and the shipping label in their email the minute they say "i want my money back" that shouldnt be too hard to implement.

Ebay already relies on thes eller not abusing things when you select reason for cancel, I dontk now why this would be such a problem.

There is NO need for "constructive conversation"

Buyer: I'm not happy!

Seller: I'm sorry you're dissatisfied, please return for refund.

Buyer: I want my money back!

Buyer: You're a jerk!

Seller: I'm sorry you're dissatsified, please return for refund.

Buyer: Just refund me!

Seller: I'm sorry you're dissatisfied, pleasre return for refund.

See, you can even use copy & paste and continue sending the same message. No need for conversation, no need for anything constructive, just repeat the simple phrase/sentence.

Lastly, any buyer who is agressive doesn't need any help, they can figure out the return on their own. In fact, they may get blocked and I may "accidentally" forget that also blocks their ability to continue messaging me ... "OOPS" ... if they leave a negative feedback, just reply that you offered them to return the item for a refund and they failed to do so.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

your dialogue is incomplete. Here is the full dialogue

Buyer leaves negative feedback

Seller contacts ebay for help and is told that is their experience and it sticks.

Where as if I have proof the buyer wants to return it i can get a claim started on behalf of the buyer, if they still wont return it any neg is removed and they had 3 weeks since requesting the refund to return it.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

your dialogue is incomplete. Here is the full dialogue

Buyer leaves negative feedback

Seller contacts ebay for help and is told that is their experience and it sticks.

Where as if I have proof the buyer wants to return it i can get a claim started on behalf of the buyer, if they still wont return it any neg is removed and they had 3 weeks since requesting the refund to return it.

I mean if you want to get technical, what you added isn't defined as dialogue, so my dialogue was complete... 

Also, I addressed the issue. Reply to the feedback that you offered a return and buyer failed to do so. I'm not talking about contacting eBay I'm talking about posting a public (professional) reply that is attached to the feedback.

I'm happy you want to be honest and have this tool to use for "good" but this tool you seek (opening claims for buyers) is wide open to be misused and thats why it doesn't exist and likely never will.

I have had buyers who simply suggest or decide on their own to return the item outside of eBay. That is completely their perogative. I don't encourage it, but I'm not going to stop them or force them to do something they clearly don't want to do. 

I'm curious then... did your buyer just REFUSE to open a return? Or claim they didn't know how? Opening a return on their behalf may be something they don't want. Are you then suggesting you'll "call their bluff" by opening their claim for them?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Actually...
Since you have to click a button (or three) anyway...
Why not use a copy-and-paste generic pre-typed form response for all these requests?
Store it in a text file inside a folder on your end, open it when you need it and send them that reply in email.
Now it takes mere seconds and now the buyer has to exert the effort it takes to actually open a request and then return the item, instead of doing it for them... 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@awesome_electronics 

A buyer who leaves negative feedback rather than request a Money Back Guarantee refund on their own is attempting to game the system.

Besides -- I'd rather have one negative feedback, rather than refund a buyer TWICE for the same item -- once for a refund done OUTSIDE the eBay mandated system (which you are promoting), and the SECOND refund when the same wily buyer requests the refund AGAIN using the regular eBay channels.

Your seller history only indicates that you've been selling on eBay since July 2023.  Some eBay sellers have been selling on eBay for over 20 years, and -- believe me -- they've seen (and experienced) nearly all the shifty methods used by some buyers to steal from sellers -- including the very method that you've been suggesting.

If the system works the way that it was designed, don't mess with it.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@1786davycrockett wrote:

Besides -- I'd rather have one negative feedback, rather than refund a buyer TWICE for the same item -- once for a refund done OUTSIDE the eBay mandated system (which you are promoting), and the SECOND refund when the same wily buyer requests the refund AGAIN using the regular eBay channels.

Wow, I never considered that ... who would EVER refund outside of eBay? I mean I've had buyers RETURN outside of eBay (ship it back to me on their own w/o a case) but I always REFUND them via eBay .... means I get my fees back... who would ever refund a buyer outside eBay and not get their FVF (and PL, if applicable) funds back....? That sounds literally insane....

Message 14 of 14
latest reply