cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is right? USPS tracking or eBay shipping information?

I am a buyer with a bit of a different problem.  eBay claims my item has been shipped, however, when I click on 'track package' it says that only a shipping label was created on Aug 9, at 7:25 pm, but that USPS has not received the package.   It said this yesterday, so contacted the seller who reassured me she took package to post office.   I check on the status again this evening(Aug 11) going to the USPS tracking site to find the same details....only a label created and no receipt of the package...still waiting.   The site suggests to contact the shipper, so again I have messaged the seller. 

This is not a case of me trying to claim that I have not received my widget when it has been delivered.  So, what is the action that should take place now that USPS is claiming they have not received the package and seller claims to have taken the package to the PO?    Another question, is how does eBay determine whether a package has indeed been shipped or not? 

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 1 of 33
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This is a problem some sellers run into @shirleys809304 .  In some areas the PO isn't doing what they are suppose to do, scanning packages when received or as they move through their facilities.  The most sellers can to is contact their PO and try to get them to do this part of their job that they are suppose to do.

I personally had this problem when we first moved into the house we are in.  We had a carrier way too close to retirement and she didn't want to do anymore than she absolutely had to or even less than that if she could get away with it.  I tried talking to her several times.  Nothing seemed to work.  I even tried bribery with some homecooked items.

So I ended up contacting the Postmaster at our local PO.  He was fantastic. and to this day this problem has not happened again, and my original carrier retired about a year later.

Just try to be patient.  I know you would like the watch the tracking, but it appears the carrier isn't as concerned as they should be.  Somewhere along the adventures of the package it will get scanned.  It may not happen until it is delivered however.  

I hope you will give your seller a break.  This is not their fault.  We can only plead with the PO to do their job but we can force them in any way.  If your item doesn't get delivered on time or within a couple of days of when it should, then you may need to file a claim.  But it is likely to get delivered and that won't be necessary.

Good Luck.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

First, I suggest no more emails to the seller. Some sellers will block you...thinking you might have too much drama to deal with.

A label created is just that...created...but not put in the mailing yet. Some packages may not be scanned for quite a while. Check to see when package is suppose to be shipped. I ship packages 3-5 business days.

Creating a shipping label does not mean a shipper has it yet. 

As long as you received the package at estimated day of delivery I would not be emailing the seller about status of a package.

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

When a label is created on eBay, eBay sends buyers an eMail saying your item has shipped. Creating a label is the first phase of shipping. 
You needn’t worry about tracking., just the estimated date of delivery. That date is more important  for you than tracking. If the last estimated date of delivery passes by 1 day and you still haven’t received your item, you can open an item not received case.

To do that you go to your purchase history click the drop down menu next to the item in question, this menu will say “More Actions” click on it to find “I didn’t receive it”, click that then follow the prompts.  
Your seller has 2 days to upload tracking showing delivery or a refund. If by day 3 you don’t receive a refund or response form the seller you can ask eBay to step in for your refund. 

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

@shirleys809304 

USPS tracking is right. 

eBay marks mail as shipped when the shipping is purchased from eBay or the seller marks the item as shipped.

When USPS shows receipt in tracking, they have the package. If USPS does not show receipt in tracking, they don't have the package or they have the package but have not scanned the package.

For whatever reason, some packages end up never being scanned until delivery. Keep checking USPS Tracking for scans of your package.

If you see no scans and the eBay delivery date has passed, file an item not received case with eBay and you will receive a full refund.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Stop watching tracking.

Tracking is a Seller Protection against unwarranted Not Delivered claims.

There is no benefit to the buyer to have the shipment tracked.

Unless the seller watched the PO clerk postmark the shipment and got a receipt from them at the time, it is quite possible the parcel is on its way and might be delivered on Monday, without the tracking ever being recorded.

It would be unusual, but not impossible.

EBay gave you a last estimated date for delivery.

If that passes without receiving your purchase, you have 30 days to claim a Refund.

EBay uses the USPS information, but is usually several hours behind the PO site.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

@shirleys809304  There are multiple possibilities.  The main 2 are that the seller has printed the label & NOT taken it to the PO, but EQUALLY possible is that the seller HAS TAKEN the package to the PO & they did not get a scan.  

The only way Ebay (or anyone else) knows if it's actually in USPS's system yet, is if there is a SCAN.  Especially an Acceptance Scan, but any scan other than the 'label printed, USPS awaits' scan.   The problem lies with the fact that the USPS often misses scans.  Some PO's are very stubborn & don't want to do scans.  That said, if it's truly in the USPS system, the vast majority of pkgs get a scan somewhere along the way, but it can take a few days.  

So, at this point, you (and Ebay) have no way of knowing whether the seller actually took it to the Post Office or not.  Not until a scan shows up.  Typically the USPS system is updated more quickly than Ebay's, but usually only about an hour apart.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Hi! 

Several questions here, so beginning with how does ebay know if a package has been shipped - eBay’s system only “knows” if a label has been printed, OR if the seller has added a tracking number.

Since your seller printed the label at 7:25 PM, when the post office is probably closed, the earliest the seller could have brought it to the USPS is the next day. Currently, the USPS system only scans dropped off packages at the first stop in the route to you.  And, sometimes, a package does miss being scanned. 

However, if the package has entered the USPS flow, it will eventually be scanned along the way to you. The only exception is if the barcode on the package gets damaged in some way, or was printed too small or too large to scan. 

ebays system gets all its shipping info directly from usps, but it lags behind the usps. (I can tell you why, but it’s boring 🙂)  So, it’s generally better to copy, and paste your tracking number to USPS.com and set yourself up for emailed tracking updates.

Anyway, as long as your seller isn’t lying about actually shipping the package, it should, eventually show up scanned, at the very least, once, before delivery. One day is really too short a time to be very concerned, especially if your seller has good feedback and no indications that they don’t ship things.

Now, where is your seller located? Sometimes storms, and other issues (Maui) can impact USPS flow and flights. 

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you 

@reallynicestamps 

@mybigsale 

@ebooksdiva 

@12345jamesstamps 

Thanks all for your helpful responses.  And yeah, I thought twice about contacting the seller for the 2nd time, but guess I didn't think long enough.  Hopefully, I didn't cause a lot of damage doing so 🙄.   I forget how touchy some folks are these days.   Ya think I'll ever be forgiven of that offense?   No response required 🤣

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 8 of 33
latest reply

I haven't read the replies in detail, but I see they address the question of "How does eBay determine package being shipped" -- i.e. seller marks shipped and/or provides tracking (not necessarily required)

So I will throw in my own story that may provide some insight into extreme circumstances...

I shipped an item back in May via FCP (First Class pkg prior to conversion to Ground Advantage). I had a pickup at my house, every mail carrier every time has always happily obliged to scan my packages as accepted, but this one substitute absolutely refused and it was early in the AM (way earlier than any other carrier ever came) and I was too tired to argue. I literally had 4 pkgs, would've taken him a fraction of the time to scan that he had spent arguing with me. (He was quite rude and ornery as I was trying to be polite with my request)

Long story short, those 4 pkgs did not get an acceptance scan. They remained as "Shipping Label Created, USPS awaiting package" until somewhere along the system it got a scan. THIS PACKAGE TOOK 3 GOD BLESSED WEEKS TO GET SCANNED!!!!!!!!!!!! I am forever grateful to my buyer, he not once reached out or complained. I reached out preemptively a few days in to assure the buyer it was shipped and we were just awaiting a scan, that none had been scanned upon acceptance. It was also only a $30 or so item, so I could've easily eaten the cost had it been lost or buyer got upset.

But yes, it remained "USPS awaiting item" for 3 weeks, before a scan at a distribution center....It was not only not scanned but misplaced, so that was quite an extreme circumstance... I have never ever ever handed over any package again without a scan, I've literally made mail carriers hand my packages back to me if it became clear they would not scan them. They DO NOT leave my sight if they are not scanned. (This is because of value & because of accountability & ebay "dings" for late shipment)

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

This is a problem some sellers run into @shirleys809304 .  In some areas the PO isn't doing what they are suppose to do, scanning packages when received or as they move through their facilities.  The most sellers can to is contact their PO and try to get them to do this part of their job that they are suppose to do.

I personally had this problem when we first moved into the house we are in.  We had a carrier way too close to retirement and she didn't want to do anymore than she absolutely had to or even less than that if she could get away with it.  I tried talking to her several times.  Nothing seemed to work.  I even tried bribery with some homecooked items.

So I ended up contacting the Postmaster at our local PO.  He was fantastic. and to this day this problem has not happened again, and my original carrier retired about a year later.

Just try to be patient.  I know you would like the watch the tracking, but it appears the carrier isn't as concerned as they should be.  Somewhere along the adventures of the package it will get scanned.  It may not happen until it is delivered however.  

I hope you will give your seller a break.  This is not their fault.  We can only plead with the PO to do their job but we can force them in any way.  If your item doesn't get delivered on time or within a couple of days of when it should, then you may need to file a claim.  But it is likely to get delivered and that won't be necessary.

Good Luck.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

You do know that eBay only forwards the information from the USPS servers right?  Go onto USPS and copy and paste the tracking number. Don't use eBay. Also updated information on tracking numbers that appear to eBay's little popup box in your purchase history shows up with a 8-12 hour delay on mostly all occasions.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

@shirleys809304 wrote:

@simply-the-best-for-you 

@reallynicestamps 

@mybigsale 

@ebooksdiva 

@12345jamesstamps 

Thanks all for your helpful responses.  And yeah, I thought twice about contacting the seller for the 2nd time, but guess I didn't think long enough.  Hopefully, I didn't cause a lot of damage doing so 🙄.   I forget how touchy some folks are these days.   Ya think I'll ever be forgiven of that offense?   No response required 🤣

@shirleys809304  You're welcome.   I would not be contacting the seller again.  But also you may not realize, that sellers are NOT required to ship as soon as you pay.   They are required to ship within their STATED HANDLING TIME.  It's a little hidden - it's in the Shipping section of a listing & click See Details.  

So for example if your seller has 3 day handling, even if you paid on a Monday, they may print the label on Monday (or whenever) & not take it to the PO until Thursday & be perfectly within their right to do so & if that's the case, you would be bugging them by continuing to ask 🙂   Some sellers only ship once a week, as long as they're within their stated handling time, they are NOT breaking any Ebay rules.   TBH, many of us do this to some extent b/c we get our pkgs ready, but we don't ship every single day.  Each sellers situation is different.  

ETA:  IF a seller has what Ebay considers an EXTENDED handling time (can't remember exactly where that falls, I think it's around 6-10 days), there will be a yellow warning flag on the listing that says that the seller has an extended handling time. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

@unemployed_husky wrote:

You do know that eBay only forwards the information from the USPS servers right?  Go onto USPS and copy and paste the tracking number. Don't use eBay. Also updated information on tracking numbers shows up with a 8-12 hour delay on mostly all occasions.

This is true.  Ebay updates its information a few times a day from the carriers servers.  Oddly enough I have seen times where the Ebay tracking has had additional information not showing on the Carrier's page.

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

@mam98031 

@rokkworks 

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy 

Thanks to you as well for your input.   More than likely, the way it sounds, someone at the PO didn't do their job for whatever reason they don't do their job.

Lesson learned. 

Any other responses will be equally appreciated even if I don't mention you. 

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

I've even seen a number of times where EBay's tracking data is "behind" so after I go to USPS carrier data on USPS website, the EBay tracking info automatically catches up. Going into USPS carrier data seems to bump EBay's system/data collection

Message 15 of 33
latest reply