cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the buyer's refund?

What do you tell buyers when you cancel the purchase for them and they say they didn't receive the refund?

Asking for both instances... 1) accepting a buyer cancellation that they filed, and 2) they messaged you to cancel and you initiate the cancellation. I've been having an increase of buyers asking this.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tell them the refund was instantly taken from my account, here's the paypal transaction # for the refund, and they can call paypal, their bank, or their CC company if they have questions about processing time.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@Anonymoushas it right.  There will be a transaction ID in your paypal acount showing the reufnd.  You can give this number to your buyer and you or they can call paypal if they do not see it in there account register.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I tell them the refund was instantly taken from my account, here's the paypal transaction # for the refund, and they can call paypal, their bank, or their CC company if they have questions about processing time.

Aren't Paypal transaction #'s one sided? I remember that from awhile back talking to Paypal reps. I.e. The seller will see a different transaction number on their payment page and the buyer will also see a different number on theirs when they view that same payment.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know. I never had a buyer come back and tell me the transaction # wasn't useful.

I am going to assume that if the buyer calls and the transaction # isn't needed or relevant that the rep would ask them for the date and amount of the original payment and go from there. The buyer would be on the phone with the payment processor which is where they'll find the answers they're looking for and that's what's most important.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Aren't Paypal transaction #'s one sided? I remember that from awhile back talking to Paypal reps. I.e. The seller will see a different transaction number on their payment page and the buyer will also see a different number on theirs when they view that same payment.

Hi @bigdeals.etc, you are correct that PayPal transaction numbers are specific to the party - a seller would have a unique transaction ID different from the Buyer for the same transaction. That being said, PayPal can use any transaction ID associated with the transaction to discuss the status of a payment or refund. 

If a buyer has not seen their refund, we recommend the following: 

• As a seller, confirm the status of the payment in your PayPal to make sure it has refunded from your end
  • Inform the buyer that once a refund has initiated on eBay (via a cancellation or through a request), the funds can take up to 2 business days to process back to their PayPal account (though this is often times much faster)
  • Beyond this 2 business day timeframe, the refund can take additional time depending on the funding source; if the funding source was the PayPal balance, the money will not move any further. If the funding source was from a bank transfer, debit or credit card, the financial institution may have varying timeframes to reflect the updated balance. This usually takes no more than 5 business days.
  • If for some reason the refund has not processed to the buyer's PayPal account after 2 business days, this may indicate the refund is "stuck". eBay Customer Service can review this refund to submit for the funds to be manually processed within 5 business days of being contacted. These instances are rare, but do happen.
  • A seller can provide any of this information they deem appropriate or simply direct the member to contact eBay Customer Service after 2 business days. PayPal can also address any refund concerns if needed.
  • Reassuring the buyer that a refund processes automatically is the best course of action and that eBay Customer Service can address any specific concerns is the best course of action in most situations

As a side note, while most often when a buyer cannot locate the refund it is simply because it is still processing, the buyer may be running into confusion because they used a guest account to checkout and thus a guest PayPal account would be created for them. This happens even when the buyer pays a seller through the seller's Merchant Account. Payments made through eBay's Managed Payments would not be handled by PayPal in any way and issues would need to be addressed by eBay, specifically.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any additional questions!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know. I never had a buyer come back and tell me the transaction # wasn't useful.

I am going to assume that if the buyer calls and the transaction # isn't needed or relevant that the rep would ask them for the date and amount of the original payment and go from there. The buyer would be on the phone with the payment processor which is where they'll find the answers they're looking for and that's what's most important.

Yea I agree. Every time I call Paypal for stuff, they NEVER ask me for the transaction number. But rather they ask for the date of purchase and the payment amount... it's weird.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for the checklist. I'm sure one of these will solve the problem.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

So I told the buyer to wait 2 business days to see if it shows up and let me know. They are impatient and responded they aren't going to wait or check with Paypal (I gave them the transaction number as some of you suggested earlier).  They said they don't know how paypal works.

They are now telling me to send the item out. Clearly I can't because the transaction was already cancelled. Is the buyer able to leave me feedback when I cancel it for them (they messaged me to, they didn't file a cancellation request). If they can, I'm guessing negative feedbacks 'a comin!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

So I told the buyer to wait 2 business days to see if it shows up and let me know. They are impatient and responded they aren't going to wait or check with Paypal (I gave them the transaction number as some of you suggested earlier).  They said they don't know how paypal works.

They are now telling me to send the item out. Clearly I can't because the transaction was already cancelled. Is the buyer able to leave me feedback when I cancel it for them (they messaged me to, they didn't file a cancellation request). If they can, I'm guessing negative feedbacks 'a comin!

Repeat that the cancellation has been completed on your side.  If they have an issue with how fast Paypal handles the refund they need to contact Paypal.  Don't engage them further, and I believe since it was a buyer requested cancellation they cannot leave feedback. I strongly recommend you add them to your blocked buyers list.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

They didn't file a cancellation. They asked me to cancel in messages. Could it be that they need to confirm this? I've seen it sometimes where it says the buyer has 10 days to confirm the cancellation.

But one time a seller just cancelled on an item I bought saying I requested it. But I never messaged them and I didn't get that 10 days to confirm or deny. I really don't understand what buyers see when sellers initiate cancellations.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

It may take a few days to process, and it goes back to their original funding source.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply