cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did ebay start including sales tax as part of our sales? 2-25-20?

I see a difference in my go daddy records in sales tax collection. From 1-1 20 to 2-24-20 it is shown as a separate line "sales tax collected". then from 2-25 on it is no longer noted or included in business income.

I also noted that the transaction report i downloaded from ebay  starts at 2-24-20 and goes to the end of 2020 ( it includes a column for sales tax EB collected) the period from 1-1 to 2-24 is mysteriously not included.

Would i be correct to assume the 2-25-20 date is when ebay started including sales tax in our total sales amount ( they then would receive final value fees on sales tax)?  

then the tax paid from 2-25-20 on is what we need to deduction from our 1099K?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

eBay is charging the buyer sales tax according to the laws of the state the buyer resides in. eBay collects the tax and supposedly remits it to the states concerned. But that's not the best of it. eBay INCLUDES the sales tax amount in the sale total they use to compute the sellers' FVF. SO, sellers are stuck with paying a fee on the sales tax eBay takes from the buyer. Ain't that great! Another eBay scam to squeeze more money from sellers!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I know the change you're referring to . . . 

You'll want to do further research yourself, but didn't the way they collected sales tax change in November of 2019?

ebay sales tax.JPG

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@bimm_corp wrote:

eBay is charging the buyer sales tax according to the laws of the state the buyer resides in. eBay collects the tax and supposedly remits it to the states concerned. But that's not the best of it. eBay INCLUDES the sales tax amount in the sale total they use to compute the sellers' FVF. SO, sellers are stuck with paying a fee on the sales tax eBay takes from the buyer. Ain't that great! Another eBay scam to squeeze more money from sellers!

That's not what the OP is referring to. eBay changed the way they collected sales tax mid-stream. The OP is asking when that change took place.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@bimm_corp wrote:

eBay is charging the buyer sales tax according to the laws of the state the buyer resides in. eBay collects the tax and supposedly remits it to the states concerned. 

Interesting addition of the word "supposedly". Are you suggesting that eBay might be violating the law and pocketing sales tax instead of remitting it to the states? 

I have to imagine that when the states passed their various facilitator laws, they were aware that eBay one of the top retail websites and have measures in place to check to make sure the money arrives 🙂

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

It's a sad day when our government thinks it's okay to tax us on used items that we used to be able to just purchase without their greedy hands in the deal.  What's next, taxing garage sales and family transactions?  I understand paying taxes on brand new items but not used items from people that aren't even a business!  I can buy anything used from a person, locally, without paying taxes to our greedy governments so why do we have to do the same on eBay when the seller is just a regular person and not a business owner?  Let me just say that our governments, city, county, state, and federal are corrupt pieces of crap!  Shame on anyone that is related to these corrupt institutions!  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply