cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Selling On EBay Becomes a Nightmare

I have been on eBay for over 13 years as a seller. I've increased my sales from a few packages per day to 25+ packages per day over the last four years and everything was going great. A counterfeit item claim was placed against my account about a year ago, but I didn't think anything of it because I know where I buy my products from and I brushed it off as a mistake in the system. The counterfeit item claim didn't make sense to me because the exact item was still listed on eBay UK even after my item was removed from the site. I had purchase the item directly from the manufacturer and had the receipt in my hand. A call to customer service yielded no pertinent information as to why the item was flagged as counterfeit. The eBay customer service team is hesitant to divulge information about their counterfeiting identification policy and methods, and understandably so as this may give counterfeiters an upper hand on beating the system. 6 months passed and I was staring at this item I purchased directly from the manufacturer over and over again. Like a big dummy, I thought to myself "I will list this item again and eBay will just let me sell it this time." This was not a smart thought. I listed the item again, it was instantly taken down, and this led to the second counterfeiting claim against my account. It was quite strange, the item I listed was flagged almost immediately after it was live on eBay as counterfeit. I inquired to customer service again and this is when I learned eBay has an agreement with the government to stop "price gouging" for items in which eBay classifies as being related to COVID 19. I was attempting to sell a Nike x Matthew Williams facemask for running, so now it started to make sense. Matthew Williams is a famous fashion designer for Givenchy and his items typically command a higher price, so I didn't think I was "price gouging" as I had listed my item significantly cheaper than the same listing already on eBay. When I say the "same listing", I literally mean the same listing. I cloned the listing already on eBay using the $ Have one to sell? Sell now button found within each listing on eBay. The item already on eBay could be purchased from the UK through the eBay international shipping program and is still on eBay at the time of this post. The state I am living in did not choose to implement draconian measures throughout the pandemic and all state restrictions had been removed at the time I listed the item for the second time. These were strikes #1 and #2 against my account, and it only goes downhill from here

Strikes #3 and #4 were also quite unpleasant. Strike #3 for "counterfeiting" occurred when I listed a Size 15 Jordan shoe which I bought for $25 and was attempting to sell for $75. If you've ever been to a Nike store, you will commonly see discounts on men's shoes size 15 and above (the extreme sizes). The shoe was immediately flagged as counterfeit (Strike #3) and taken down from eBay at approximately 1am in the morning. I had the shoe in multiple sizes so this was quite concerning. The non-extreme sized shoes I purchased for $50. Another call to customer service was placed, I uploaded my digital receipts from the Nike app and attached them to the eBay SR ticket number. The customer service representative said a member from the eBay Trust team would review the receipts and get back to me. As to be expected, 2 weeks passed without a call-back from customer service or an email back from customer service.

I proceeded to list the shoe in a non-extreme size for $100 (Size 12). At $100 the eBay authenticity guarantee is in place. I was able to sell this item without the listing being taken down. After the size 12 shoe sold, I thought to myself "let me re-use the currently active listing for the size 12 with quantity 0 in stock, adjust the size of the listing to size 15, adjust the quantity remaining to 1, and drop the price by $15 this time to sell the item for $85." Once again, this was not a smart thought. The size 15 listing was flagged immediately for being counterfeit (Strike #4). I called customer service again and began an escalation. This escalation caused the Trust team to reach contact me about strike #3 with a response saying "counterfeiters can counterfeit receipts, we don't believe you receipt taken directly from the Nike.com app and uploaded to our eBay site, even if you do have the order number and price directly from Nike". After speaking with customer service I discovered eBay is using an algorithm to flag items as counterfeit. The algorithm sets an expected market price for an item, and if you are below the expected market price you are at risk for a counterfeit claim. In strikes #1 and #2 I was flagged for price gouging, in strikes #3 and #4 I was flagged for pricing too cheap. I was not aware eBay was putting in such price controls in place. The customer service team treats you as if you are nothing and seemed as if they had no interest in hearing my side of the story (aka the truth). The customer service team is stuck reading off a script and are unable to deviate from their pre-defined script. My favorite parts about talking with customer service are when they say "your voice will be heard" and "you should expect a call back", neither of which you should expect to happen. After strike #4 my account was restricted for 7 days, all my listings were removed from the website and I could not create any new listings for the duration. When the 7 day ban was announced, I immediately listed the size 15 item on my second account for $100 and purchased the item from my first account. The item cleared the eBay authentication inspection without issue and I called customer service back after it had been cleared. Once again, the customer service team and the eBay Trust team did not care. My item was authenticated by the eBay 3rd party authenticators but this was not good enough to have my account unlocked. It was also interesting when the customer service team requested for me to take photographs of my receipts and place the receipt photograph in all of my listings moving forward, while at the same time telling me counterfeiters can counterfeit receipts.

I am writing this message after strike #5. For strike number 5, I purchased an item directly from Nike, photographed & listed the item on eBay 30 minutes later, and had a new counterfeit claim 30 minutes after that. I've once again purchased the item from myself to clear though the eBay authenticators and I doubt eBay customer service will care. For strike #5 I also cloned an existing listing on eBay USA. For some reason my listing was flagged and the current listing on eBay is still available for purchase. There is a serious on-going flaw with the counterfeiting algorithm and no appropriate actions in place for a buyer to clear his or her name. eBay representatives don't care to help me, I am just a cog in the machine, just dust in the wind. Sellers are unable to speak to the eBay Trust team directly because the are a secret infallible back office team and speaking to sellers is beneath them. If you do hear from the eBay Trust team expect a pre-canned email and do not expect them to remove the counterfeiting claim from your account. The counterfeiting algorithm must never be questioned, the counterfeiting algorithm has never made a mistake. If you've made it this far, thank you for reading and god speed.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

@theonlinesneakerguy 

I'm speechless,  but I did read your entire post so I guess I get to go "God speeding ".

Wow, again.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Thanks for reading! I forgot to mention that after strike #5 my account is now banned for 10 days. I fear what may happen to my account after another strike or two from the eBay algo. I've spent essentially every waking hour of my life for the last 4 years selling on eBay and I've always tried to be an honest & professional seller. I'm out of ideas on how to get unbanned and remove the strikes from my account. It is very painful

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Hmm strange thing on this original post is this:

" I've once again purchased the item from myself to clear though the eBay authenticators and I doubt eBay customer service will care. "

This is enough for eBay to ban you from selling forever....... its not allowed: it also will appear as money laundering as well.......Never bid on. or purchases your own items.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Kind of a dumb question...but here goes.

Can items be relisted at .01 one cent under auctions and not giving what items are worth?

Curious and I'm sure one of the MOD here can answer that. Thanks.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

The deal is eBay knows they already took down those size 15 shoes on user name xxx. They keep track of that.  If you relisted it on that name sorry, no matter how much time went by you are never to relist it.  Now you played with fire to prove a point? You can't  fight eBay on the shoes not being counterfeit unless you have a letter faxed from Nike to eBay  telling eBay the shoes are not counterfeit and you can sell them. Then eBay has to give you the go ahead.

Don't spit in the wind.

Don't  sell them here.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Kind of a dumb question...but here goes.

Can items be relisted at .01 one cent under auctions and not giving what items are worth?

Curious and I'm sure one of the MOD here can answer that. Thanks.

Not exactly sure what you are asking:

I doubt any eBay employee would: much less try and answer such...

Best to start a new topic on this as well.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

@theonlinesneakerguy 

I'm speechless,  but I did read your entire post so I guess I get to go "God speeding ".

Wow, again.

Wow is right.

OP is wrong - I have reached out to e-Bay CS thru social media who addressed T&S issues and connected us with someone who assisted.

What the OP describes is a recipe for a short-lived selling career here.  Definitely would not recommend their approach.  Yikes!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Right now, i fear you are running the wrong way on a one-way street, without the headlights on. 

Never ever relist an item removed by eBay. Even if they declare it was removed in error, the substantial risk is that it will be removed again, as you learned. Penalties are cumulative on eBay. Each infraction compounds the damage to your standing. In this way, a few violations can get an account permanently shut down, with no appeal.

Just because you see another item like your removed one listed on eBay doesn't mean yours is now ok to list. Violations fall thru the cracks all the time. Some sellers have authorization. Different countries have different rules. So never use active listings as a policy guide. Go directly to the eBay source (like the Help pages) for correct information. 

Your constant attempts to get around suspensions and penalties, so you can list your Nike’s anyway, carries the real risk of the revocation of your selling privileges. But buying an item from yourself is quite an egregious violation that can earn you an immediate restriction. I just don’t see this ending well.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

I actually commend this seller for his/her efforts to clear their name. You should absolutely fight to clear your name, especially because I know from first hand experience the eBay counterfeiting algorithm has room for improvement. Customer service phone support also informed me in the past that the Trust & Security team only works Monday through Friday and does not speak to customers directly. If you have a Mon-Fri job and a family it can be difficult to find free time during the week. I've never reached out to eBay customer service using social media as @katruz15 has so this may also be a plausible option. I've had less than ideal experiences with eBay phone support in the past as well, the support has been outsourced for cheaper labor and the employees often seem to be stuck to reading a script. If eBay is backing sellers into a corner with questionable counterfeit claims, allowing the seller to rebuttal and send the item in for authentication seems very reasonable

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Sub-par eBay policies need to addressed. eBay will only improve if buyers and sellers provide feedback. If you believe incorrect suspensions and penalties should not be addressed, we have a difference of opinion.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Do you have an update on this case?

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Do you have an update on this case?

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Both shoes have been authenticated via the eBay authentication guarantee program.  eBay implementing price controls on Nike/Jordan products and classifying "price gouging" into the counterfeit bucket is an interesting move. I am currently waiting a call back from customer service. Customer service will inform you to 'expect a call back within 24 hours for your escalated case', it has been well over 24 hours and I have not received a call back. Customer service around this issue is objectively atrocious.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Both shoes have been authenticated via the eBay authentication guarantee program.  eBay implementing price controls on Nike/Jordan products and classifying "price gouging" into the counterfeit bucket is an interesting move. I am currently waiting a call back from customer service. Customer service will inform you to 'expect a call back within 24 hours for your escalated case', it has been well over 24 hours and I have not received a call back. Customer service around this issue is objectively atrocious.

Message 15 of 35
latest reply