cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Up with the New "My ebay" Landing Page?

Wow, what a change of functionality has the "My ebay" landing page undergone!!!

Oh-boy, ebay has slid off of the rails with the most recent revision (as of September 1, 2017) of its "My ebay Landing Page." With the overemphasis of buyer and seller ratings as well as coaxing and cajoling sellers to list any and all items by employing an auction style format at a $0.99 opening bid price-point....wow!!!

As a seller with the reasonable expectation that only an average of 15% of any item regardless of listing format will sell, I find ebay's insistence that sellers use ONLY 99 cent (opening bid) auctions is an overreach of their policies (and expectations).

I fear that ebay may impose a requirement that most sellers (sellers without an on-line shop) need to comply with their new approach to sales or be restricted or unable to sell on ebay.

Furthermore I am afraid that private party sellers of all listings regardless of format, will have to pay a listing fee (paid at the time of listing or uploading of listing) even if a listed item fails to sell (as print media does). It appears that ebay is searching for ways of enhancing its revenue stream because an 85% listing failure rate is bad for their bottom-line.

With this said, I have chosen the "classic" "My ebay" landing page because it is more seller friendly. If ebay insists that it knows more about selling than I and requires most sellers, including myself to "comply" with their new modus operandi, I will resist as I am a non-conformist and will not yield to the 800 pound gorilla.

If sellers are prevented from directing and managing their listings (of their property) the way they see fit, then I will consider ebay a hostile entity and treat them as such, rather than an ally.

I do not and will not "agree and relist" (to their suggested selling method [auction] and opening price-point, which is usually only 99 cents) as this is counter to my sales strategy and tactics and certainly do not want Big Brother looking over my shoulder, let alone influencing, managing or commandeering my selling practices.

Smiley Madebay, back off!!!

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

What are you referring to?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

As with any commerce business (yes Ebay is a for- profit company) and we are comsumers. And as with all If you dont agree with their policies,or cant abide by them or fit your selling strategy into their mold, their are alot of othersites to list on. The problem is no one else (Besides you know who)can beat in visibility for the price!

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

I'm guessing they got landed on the Seller To Do thing

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

In the seller hub?

They can still switch back, since they don't have a store or business account, right?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
What are you referring to?

Have you even seen the latest version of the My ebay" landing page? If not, please check it out. It takes quite a different approach to the way ebay influences sales and selling as well as feedback.

It appears that ebay wants to take the driver's seat when it comes to listings...oh, I guess that the driver's seat expression is losing relevance, as autonomous cars do not have a driver's seat.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

"their suggested selling method [auction] and opening price-point, which is usually only 99 cents) "

I've been ignoring this all along and will continue to do so.  eBay doesn't have any merchandise to sell, we do.  And eBay does not know beans about our merchandise but we do.  And when eBay says similar items have sold for $xxx, they have no idea if our stuff is the same stuff, but we do.  So eBay can't really determine what our stuff might sell for, but we can.  So carry on and ignore eBay's uninformed advice.  I do.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@beautybylynn wrote:

The problem is no one else (Besides you know who)can beat in visibility for the price

Well even on ebay, visibility is an issue. If you went to a physical location in the form of a gigantic hanger the size of Alaska where hundreds of thousands of auctions were simultaneously active, how could you find what you were looking for or find something that interests you, even if you were not "looking" for it?

Key words and other excepted methods of finding things on ebay or on the Internet in general, is a poor way to find your way around such a large cyber "hanger."

Maybe ebay is too big for its own good and needs to have separate web sites (like the former ebay classifieds) to help folks navigate to listings that interest them.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
In the seller hub?

They can still switch back, since they don't have a store or business account, right?

No, not Seller Hub. The awful My Ebay Selling Overview Selling To-Do page that comes up after you have escaped from Seller Hub and then also canceled Selling Manager.

I could not get the Switch to classic view to work. Every time I click it I only get a survey to fill out, which I do, but then I'm still stuck in To-Do nightmare with huge photos, and ebay's annoying suggestions that I start all my auctions at 99 cents or that I should switch any fixed price listings I may have done over to auctions. None of which makes any good sense to me.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@abn1 wrote:

"their suggested selling method [auction] and opening price-point, which is usually only 99 cents) "

I've been ignoring this all along and will continue to do so.  eBay doesn't have any merchandise to sell, we do.  And eBay does not know beans about our merchandise but we do.  And when eBay says similar items have sold for $xxx, they have no idea if our stuff is the same stuff, but we do.  So eBay can't really determine what our stuff might sell for, but we can.  So carry on and ignore eBay's uninformed advice.  I do.

Yes, I agree with your position, but ebay sure has a way of making selling more difficult, i.e. they can (and do) change selling policies (that suit them a lot more than they suit sellers), modify selling tools, they may one day charge for the privilege of posting messages on the message boards.

To ignore or not to ignore is not the question.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

horses try subscribing to SM again.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@coast-commerce wrote:

@beautybylynn wrote:

The problem is no one else (Besides you know who)can beat in visibility for the price

Key words and other excepted* methods of finding things on ebay or on the Internet in general, is a poor way to find your way around such a large cyber "hanger."

* oops, should be "accepted."

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:
horses try subscribing to SM again.

I'm afraid! I'm afraid it will eventually dump me back into Seller Hub. And they did say in that Chat last week that Selling Manager and Selling Manager Pro will eventually not be supported and may just go away.

I'm thinking the upcoming Fall Seller Update will be a doozy.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

I'm just going with whatever works for now lol

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I MYSELF DO NOT LIKE E-BAYS SELLING RECOMMENDATIONS OF STARTING FOR 99 CENTS. IF WE BUY A ITEM WORTH MORE THAN A DOLLAR AND THEN E-BAY WANTS US TO SELL IT FOR $=.99 WE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO SELL IT FOR WHAT WE THINK SHOULD BE OUR OWN VALUES M i di=o bit sell many items ,99 cents THAT IS OUR BUSINESS
Message 15 of 27
latest reply