cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this type of fraud called? I had auction for baseball cards and was sabotaged by 2 scammers

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256096407162 I am not sure who can see the bidders, I took pics here..

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

What is this type of fraud called? I had auction for baseball cards and was sabotaged by 2 scammers

more details/info please.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thrill bidding.

Not exactly a scam, but perhaps Auction Inteference.

After four days unpaid you can have the transaction Cancelled.

The deadbeat gets a Strike on his account and cannot leave feedback.

You can protect yourself by setting up your Seller Preferences /Buyer Requirements to automatically Block bidders with Strikes.

Cancelling the deadbeat also protects other sellers from these nitwits.

I'm assuming you did Send Invoice as eBay asked?

And send the Second Chance Offer, not only to the underbidder, but to the third bidder, who is more likely to be willing to pay.  You might even make it a Fixed Price listing just for him.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

The auction was around $260 until the last hour, the 2 bidders who drove the price up to $820 are from Michigan, same area codes or similar, none paid and they did it to falsely raise the value of the players cards, likely because they have invested in similar cards and are engaging in fraudulent activity, not shilling but some sort of decrepit nonsense.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote: ....

I'm assuming you did Send Invoice as eBay asked?

And send the Second Chance Offer, not only to the underbidder, but to the third bidder, who is more likely to be willing to pay.  You might even make it a Fixed Price listing just for him.

There's no need to send an invoice; it can merely delay the cancellation process.

If this is a case of sport bidding, then the SCO (if any) should not be sent to the second-highest bidder (who clearly was part of the shenanigans) but to the third-highest bidder, or to any other bidder whose maximum bid is a reasonable amount.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Two buyers to now block. I would just redo the auction. I would not offer it to anyone. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

What I want to know is what can be done to the scum bidders who put the outrageous bid amount up so high and clearly did not intend to pay but are falsely driving the value up? I don't go that way ; in a way they may make me more money as I may just relist and if potential buyers look at comps for similar cards and see the $820 sale price the cards may sell for more. IMO, eBay should throw them off and cancel these accounts as it is a negative action for all card sellers and buyers.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

What I want to know is what can be done to the scum bidders who put the outrageous bid amount up so high and clearly did not intend to pay but are falsely driving the value up?

@gazebotree2 

The worst you can do to the scum (highest) bidder is to cancel the sale on Day 5 for non-payment, if the item isn't paid for by then. That keeps the scum bidder from bothering loads of sellers who have their selling accounts set up to disallow sales to those with 2 or more UI strikes in the past year.

It's the move that gives the most help to the most sellers. Take one for the team!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thank you.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Yes. Cancellation on Day 5 (to the second if you can) gives the guy playing silly buggers a Strike, which will  prevent them from bidding on thousands of listings, internationally.

Most of these kiddies (and they are more likely to be children/teens than adults or other sellers) don't understand that there is a real person at the other end of the transaction. Empathy develops late.

It is possible that the underbidder had put in a "nuclear bid" that would win over a more sensible bidder, although if you can see that both are from the same state, it does become more likely that they were idiots in cahoots.

But do put both on your personal Blocked Bidders List and follow through with the Day Four Cancellation for the deadbeat.

Again, the Unpaid Item Cancellation prevents them from leaving feedback, while if you just cancel the transaction sooner for any other reason, they can do mischief to your feedback.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Want to place a Bid for $100+

Please Enter Your Credit Card #to proceed...

Paid!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote: ... 

It is possible that the underbidder had put in a "nuclear bid" ....

If you look at the bid history, you'll see that the two highest bidders each placed multiple back-and-forth bids during the final 2 minutes of the auction, and that the winning bidder placed the two latest bids: he placed a bid for $810, was narrowly outbid by a (slightly) earlier bid, then he placed yet another bid.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply