cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does a blocked bidder see?

I'm wondering what exactly a bidder sees when they are blocked from bidding because of too many unpaid item strikes?

I have my buyer requirements set for 2 unpaid items in a month you are blocked from bidding.

The same person keeps trying to bid on some of my items (6 times so far over multiple days according to my blocked buyer activity log) even though each time they do they are blocked from bidding. Does Ebay show them the reason they cannot bid or does it just say something like "you cannot bid on this item"? 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

"The seller is not accepting bids from you"

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 2 of 37
latest reply

@katz.paw 

This is the message that has been reported, by a buyer who had been blocked. It doesn't say which buyer requirement was not met.

"Sorry the seller is not accepting bids or offers from you at this time"

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

that is a handy list to look at

its proof positive that the blocks are working

some ebayers doubt the effectiveness of the block

it has always worked for me because I have had buyers tell me they were blocked and wanted to be on the exemption list

not positive but I think the terms are 2 strikes in one year get you blocked, I do not think they have to be in the same month

@katz.paw 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 4 of 37
latest reply

How do you know that the same person is trying to bid on your items? Did he write to you? When I had that happened to me, I played dumb and told the buyer, sorry, the boss does not want you to buy from him.  That worked for me even though I am the boss.

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

How do you know that the same person is trying to bid on your items?

Even if the buyer does not write to ask why he's blocked, you're given enough detail about him in your Buyer Requirements Activity Log (here) to let you identify individual users and how many attempts are made by each one. Their actual user ID is not shown, but their feedback score and "Member Since" date allow you to distinguish one from another.

The only reason for blocking shown on that list is "Too many Unpaid Item strikes." Blocked bids from users on your Blocked Buyer List are not recorded on the Activity Log page for some reason.

The most restrictive block you can impose is 2 Unpaids over the past 12 months. You can reduce that limit by either raising the trigger number of Unpaids or reducing the lookback timespan, but I see no reason to do either, since all you would be doing at that point is letting in buyers with even worse records than a 2/12 deadbeat.

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

Hi @katz.paw 

When a seller has put a buyer's name on their Blocked Bidders List ... the buyer receives a message like:

"The seller is not accepting bids or offers from you at this time"

When a buyer has too many unpaid item strikes ... or some other problem meeting the seller's Buyer Requirements ... the buyer is told the specific reason why they are unable to bid.  [They aren't told that it is the seller that set the requirements.]

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

They see:

The seller is not accepting bids or offers from you at this time.

Just keep in mind that the buyer could have a second account & could potentially bid using their second account.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

@house*of*paws wrote:

Hi @katz.paw 

When a seller has put a buyer's name on their Blocked Bidders List ... the buyer receives a message like:

"The seller is not accepting bids or offers from you at this time"

When a buyer has too many unpaid item strikes ... or some other problem meeting the seller's Buyer Requirements ... the buyer is told the specific reason why they are unable to bid.  [They aren't told that it is the seller that set the requirements.]

So they are shown something like "you currently have too many unpaid item strikes to bid on this item"?

I would hope the bidder would be shown why  they are not allowed to bid as to discourage them in the future from bidding on items when they have no intention to, or change their mind about, paying.

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

@katz.paw wrote:

I would hope the bidder would be shown why  they are not allowed to bid as to discourage them in the future from bidding on items when they have no intention to, or change their mind about, paying.

LOL, a buyer knows EXACTLY why there are blocked. They don't need a message for that.

Even the most restrictive policy allows 2 unpaid strikes in the x amount of time.

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

How do you know that the same person is trying to bid on your items? Did he write to you? When I had that happened to me, I played dumb and told the buyer, sorry, the boss does not want you to buy from him.  That worked for me even though I am the boss.

I don't see the user name in my blocked bidder activity log, but I can assume it's the same person because they keep trying to bid on specifically my Betty Boop items and I can see their feedback number.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

The most restrictive block you can impose is 2 Unpaids over the past 12 months. You can reduce that limit by either raising the trigger number of Unpaids or reducing the lookback timespan, but I see no reason to do either, since all you would be doing at that point is letting in buyers with even worse records than a 2/12 deadbeat.

I have mine set to block bidders with 2 unpaid items within the previous month.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

I would set it to 12 months.

You stated that you currently have it to 2 unpaid within the past month...Few (less is probably a better word) buyers would be bad enough to have 2 unpaid strikes within the past month.

By expanding the time period, you will block more unwanted people.

Your tolerance may vary.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

@katz.paw wrote:

@katz.paw 

YES ... they are told that it is because of unpaid items that they are unable to bid.  [I'm not sure of the exact wording.]

It's very possible that the buyer isn't aware that they have unpaid items ... because buyers post here regularly that they are getting the message wrongly.  We have to tell them to check their My eBay to see when they received the nonpayment strikes.  [They rarely post back ... so I assume they are seeing that they do have strikes.]

When eBay changed the way sellers give UPI strikes from a 2-step to a 1-step process ... some buyers were receiving strikes on Day 5 automatically (if the seller had been using the Automated Assistant previously).  Buyers expected to receive a 'warning' first ... and NOT a 'cancellation' ... so were confused.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

The buyer can see all your listings as normal.  The only time they would know there was an issue is if they try to bid or purchase one of your items.  Then they would get a message on their screen that the seller is not accepting purchase from you at this time.

As to the buyer requirement you have set.  That is the easiest one for a non paying bidder to get around as all they would have to do is wait until next month and then they can purchase from you.  I have mine set to the strictest requirement allowed which is 2 in 12 months.

It is likely the buyer is just refusing to accept the notice that appears on their screen.  But as I said earlier is they will be able to bid or purchase from you as soon as one of their unpaid dings drops off.

Lets say they got a ding on June 16 and then another one on July 1st.  On July 17th that buyer would be able to purchase from you and on a buyer that is being as persistent as this buyer that could cause you issues.  I suggest you revisit and reconsider your site preferences.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 15 of 37
latest reply