cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do when a buyer doesn't pay?

In the past, something automated used to open an unpaid item case after 48hrs and shortly after that the transaction was canceled, the buyer got a ding and I could relist.

That does not happen for me anymore I have to spend days messaging the seller (usually with no reply) and then manually cancelling the order and having to start from scratch to relist it. 

Did something change or did I just turn this automated process off somehow?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@gazrok wrote:

any idea how i navigate to turn the automated non payer feature thing back on?  I cannot find it for the life of me.

Here you are: https://www.ebay.com/Cancel/Preference/UnpaidPurchase 

Just click the little slide switch on the right side of the screen. Blue = Activated

Its automatic handling generally triggers at 96 hours plus one minute from time of purchase. Manual cancellation (where the "Buyer did not pay" reason is offered) is not provided until calendar day 5 from time of purchase, so using this automatic feature gets you a little jump on relisting time.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

You may have turned off the automated 'Non-payer' feature. But you can still go in and manually cancel after 96 hours of non-payment. Ding applies to buyer and you can re-list.

Don't know if it's been an issue (you mention messaging the buyer, not invoicing the buyer), but every invoice sent resets the 96-hour clock. Plus, invoices are not needed... eBay sends your buyer a payment reminder.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Don't waste time messaging the buyer, eBay already does that. The buyer knows they bought something and if they really were intending to pay or just playing. 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

any idea how i navigate to turn the automated non payer feature thing back on?  I cannot find it for the life of me.  I've been using the app too long.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Don't know if it's been an issue (you mention messaging the buyer, not invoicing the buyer), but every invoice sent resets the 96-hour clock 

That hasn't been true for me. I have sent an invoice on the 3rd day, no reply then I have canceled and re-listed on the 5th day.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@gazrok wrote:

any idea how i navigate to turn the automated non payer feature thing back on?  I cannot find it for the life of me.

Here you are: https://www.ebay.com/Cancel/Preference/UnpaidPurchase 

Just click the little slide switch on the right side of the screen. Blue = Activated

Its automatic handling generally triggers at 96 hours plus one minute from time of purchase. Manual cancellation (where the "Buyer did not pay" reason is offered) is not provided until calendar day 5 from time of purchase, so using this automatic feature gets you a little jump on relisting time.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@gazrok wrote:

any idea how i navigate to turn the automated non payer feature thing back on?  I cannot find it for the life of me.  I've been using the app too long.

Learn what to do if a buyer hasn't paid, and how to

set up Preferences for items awaiting payment.

Resolving unpaid items with buyershttps://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137&st=12&pos=2&que... 

Preferences for items awaiting payment

https://www.ebay.com/Cancel/Preference/UnpaidPurchase 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

thank you so much!!

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@gazrok wrote:

thank you so much!!

You're welcome. 🙂

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Did OP say " used to open an unpaid item case after 48hrs" by accident or is that the  misunderstood expectation?

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

You may have turned off the automated 'Non-payer' feature. But you can still go in and manually cancel after 96 hours of non-payment. Ding applies to buyer and you can re-list.

Don't know if it's been an issue (you mention messaging the buyer, not invoicing the buyer), but every invoice sent resets the 96-hour clock. Plus, invoices are not needed... eBay sends your buyer a payment reminder.

@mtgraves7984  Maybe it used to.  But it doesn't reset the clock anymore.  As I posted in another thread, I had 2 in the last few weeks, I sent invoices on both (on day 3) & it still closed as expected on the 5th day. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@momdadsstash wrote:

Did OP say " used to open an unpaid item case after 48hrs" by accident or is that the  misunderstood expectation?

@momdadsstash  I don't think it was an accident.  We used to be able to do 48 hours, I had mine set that way.  But that was under the old system.  It now closes on day 5.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

zzzzzzz  

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

@momdadsstash wrote:

@momdadsstash  I don't think it was an accident.  We used to be able to do 48 hours, I had mine set that way.  But that was under the old system.  It now closes on day 5.  

Yes, 48 hours was the minimum length of time that a buyer had to pay before you could open an Unpaid dispute. Once you opened the dispute, the buyer then had an additional 4 days (96 hours) to pay before you could close the dispute, get your fees back, give the deadbeat an Unpaid slap and relist the item, so that was 6 days minimum altogether.

Now it's down to 5, or if you're using the automated cancellation option, the payment period is down to 4 days (96 hours) plus one minute.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I did an experiment 2 months ago. I had one that was well into the 5th day and sent an invoice and immediately canceled.  I tried a few weeks later at the 3-4th day and sent an invoice. I had to wait an additional 96 hours to cancel

I think it does reset the clock. others have said its only for combined listings  that resets  it.

I like  doing it manually since I have some bidders  build a pile over 10-12 days and get combined shipping invoices

I mostly do auctions

@simply-the-best-for-you 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 15 of 19
latest reply