cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do about this refund case? Lost $100 so far.

I sold a bunch of plants to this one buyer, something like 4 orders total and 29 plants total. Each order was sent to a different address, and the buyer bought/paid for 3 orders with a different account-he claimed it was “his brother’s” account. 

I eventually found out that the buyer was selling plants on his eBay store, and buying plants from me to ship to his customers. He was charging his customers 3 times what he was paying me. But that is irrelevant to this case. I also did not find this out from him, but when a positive review popped up on his seller page for a set of plants identical to what I sent-and the buyer told me that those were, in fact, the plants I sent.

For each transaction, the buyer repeatedly asked NOT to submit tracking information to eBay, but to send them in a message to him. I now know that he asked that so that he could submit the tracking to his buyer’s eBay, because the same tracking number cannot be used for 2 orders. 

Everything seemed to go well, and the buyer was happy with his orders. But, a few days ago, he opened a refund claim for my first order, saying that the item has not arrived. This is the same order that he got a positive review for on his selling account. A thing to note is that he made the refund claim through the account he bought the plants from, and not the account he used to message me previously.

Furthermore, the account he used to message me previously, wellspring_gardens64, is not his anymore. I messaged him there, asking what is this claim about, and someone responded claiming that he bought the account from someone else a few days ago. It seems my buyer got rid of his selling account.

Back to the claim, I sent the buyer messages with the tracking and asking for more information, but the buyer went directly to eBay. He said I did not give him 3 tracking numbers for all the orders (I did, but only put 1 for the claim, because the claim was for 1 order), and also stated he did not receive any plants for any of my orders (on the tracking it says delivered for all orders, to each of the 3 addresses). He also claimed that my tracking might be fake. He also claimed he bought the plants for his “pen friends,” for their birthdays. He also claimed I am a fraudulent seller and asked to report me.

Here is the tracking for my order he made a claim on: 9405509205568741776578. Tell me if that’s a fake number! I also have the receipt for the postage from pirateship.com. 

eBay of course refunded the buyer the $100 for the one order. I just made an appeal, but didn’t receive a confirmation email so don’t even know if they got it. I also cannot attach photos of my messages, or the shipping receipt, as proof that what I said is correct. Is there a way to call eBay to resolve this?

I am afraid he will do the same with his other orders (total $300), and I will have to pay all of them. I cannot afford such a hit.

Thank you for your help,

Tomek

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

@to953126 

I would reach out to e-Bay on social media (facebook for business) or have CS call you.

No way would I ship a $100 order without tracking.

Add all the buying IDs to your BBL.  Good luck!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Lessons.....

You only ship to the address on file. You follow the sites protocol and add the tracking number for all items being shipped. 

I'm sorry this is not what you would like to hear, but hopefully a lesson learned. 

With Kindness, 

Grandma 

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Not much you can do here since you made multiple mistakes - 

Only send to the address registered with eBay, always upload tracking to eBay, and if the buyer doesn't like it cancel the order.   You cannot sell your eBay account to anyone else, the person is lying.  What they did do is see you coming a mile away and took advantage of you.  I would report the messages about selling the account to eBay. 

Also immediately upload the tracking numbers for the other orders on eBay.  Ignore what this scammer says.  If you'd done this with the first order in the case eBay would not have been able to refund them.  

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

For each transaction, the buyer repeatedly asked NOT to submit tracking information to eBay, but to send them in a message to him

In other words, he asked you to voluntarily give up your protection from Item Not Received claims and you agreed. 

Furthermore, the account he used to message me previously is not his anymore. I messaged him there, asking what is this claim about, and someone responded claiming that he bought the account from someone else a few days ago. 

Hogwash. Your buyer is pretending that he sold his account so you will leave him alone. 

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Unfortunately I cannot add the tracking to the other orders-it says that they were used for another order.

I did send to the address that was listed on the order, not to a different address. 

I have the receipt for buying the postage-is there a way to send it to eBay to prove that I was the one who shipped the items? 

Also, is there a way to call eBay about this? And where can I report the messages?

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for the reply. I did send to the address in the order. I now know I should have add the tracking, didn’t know before that I would not be able to add the tracking later, because the buyer used the tracking number I sent him through messages for his own orders.

Definitely a lesson learned! But is there a way to fight this, and, more importantly, safeguard the rest of the orders with the buyer I now know are not safe from this?  I have proof I bought the postage for the shipping, would eBay accept this? Also have all the messages with the “buyer” if I can report them.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Where can I call eBay? Thanks.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I love the ebay community forums filled with people who always point the finger at the buyer, instead of looking at some obvious facts there that proves Ebay is the worst of the worst when it comes to an online marketplace.

The person admitted in messages to selling a buyers account.   That should instantly get you banned from any site because it is flagrant fraud and a violation of US law as well as ebay's TOS.   Since Ebay now requires SS# and bank account information that's a serious problem selling an account to someone else.    It doesn't get you banned on ebay though, which is why there are sites dedicated to selling good feedback ebay accounts, because though ebay charges outrageous fees those fees go into executives pockets and not a dime is spent on customer service.   Who are you going to contact about this?   Oh you're going to go to facebook?   WHy can't ebay support their own website on their website?  Point the finger at Ebay before you ever point the finger at any member of this website. 

This is also why the buyer can pull off these scams while his customers left positive feedback admitting he got the item.   Because ebay puts no effort into its dispute process and constantly forces sellers to take the loss.   Every problem on this website you should be pointing the finger at the company who facilities fraud on a daily basis, which is Ebay, before you ever point the finger an ebay seller on here. 

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Oh, don’t worry, I haven’t even started about eBay. I only went here because I had a large surplus of plants I needed to sell in a short amount of time, and thought that eBay would help. Most of my customers were good, and any problems were solved quickly. This is my first scammer buyer.

I’m not selling on eBay anymore. I decided for certain the moment eBay decided that I cannot receive payments in my PayPal, and have to link my bank account.

The fees are outrageous. PayPal fees are pretty bad, but acceptable. eBay just robs you of any profit. 10 percent for the privilege of selling on a site which, as you say, screws the seller over any time a buyer feels like taking advantage of the seller.

I can sell my plants cheaper on Tropical Fruit Forum, and both me and the buyer have it easier. 

I will have to see if contacting eBay through Facebook can resolve this. At this point, I don’t care about the eBay site and how you have to do things, I just want to get this nightmare over and delete my eBay account.

Or maybe I could sell my account to some of those websites you mentioned, it has some good feedback… (that’s a joke if anyone didn’t get it).

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

For goodness sake, the appeals form to try to fight the scammer refund claim doesn’t even allow you to submit any documents! How am I supposed to prove my case? When it’s my world against the buyers, I wonder who’s side eBay will take. Not.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

A Sri Lankan seller - how very interesting!!

Funny most claim to be oblivious to how eBay works, but they can figure out how to scam quick smart!

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

I don't know how you will get on with this but Please report this seller > 

Listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

A Sri Lankan seller - how very interesting!!

Funny most claim to be oblivious to how eBay works, but they can figure out how to scam quick smart!

I noticed that and the OP said the guy had just bought that account.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I know, scary isn't it ?

But what I don't get is how it could be transfered even if it was legal to do -

The SL seller is in MP, so how did they switch all that personal info provided to Payoneer unless it was another Sri Lankan seller and they 'sold' both the Payoneer Account and eBay account together which seems very dangerous to me for the 'new' owner of said account.

Now I have a headache

Message 15 of 23
latest reply