cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird ? eBay sold my item for the opening bid amount.

I listed an item to go to auction for 130.00 or buy it now for 190.00

Someone placed an opening bid and for some reason eBay sold it to them for that opening price. 

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

That means you made a mistake when you created the listing.

Sorry.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 2 of 38
latest reply

The bidder had the choice of paying 190.00 and being assured of buying it. Or, they could take their chance and bid 130.00 in hopes it does not get bid above 190.00.   Buy it now is NOT a reserve.   If there is only one bid, it sells at the opening price.

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

The seller sets the parameters.

Auction or buy it now.

Opening bid price.

Buy it now price.

Reserve price (if any).

Ebay just does what you tell it to do when you create the listing.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 4 of 38
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

The bidder had the choice of paying 190.00 and being assured of buying it. Or, they could take their chance and bid 130.00 in hopes it does not get bid above 190.00.   Buy it now is NOT a reserve.   If there is only one bid, it sells at the opening price.

We need more info. The auction does not show ending with a BIN and the date of the listing (if I am looking correctly), started today and was a 7-day auction. OP, when did you initially start that auction?

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

It looks like it sold within 90 minutes of starting.  

snuff.JPG

Possibly an error in the BIN price ($130 instead of $190)?  But that would have been rejected if the BIN price wasn't higher than the bid price.  

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

@georgei3126 wrote:

I listed an item to go to auction for 130.00 or buy it now for 190.00

Someone placed an opening bid and for some reason eBay sold it to them for that opening price. 

I see you have a number of similar listings, including one that sold yesterday for $190 as a BuyItNow (according to the info line on the completed listing), and one that sold today for $130 which is described as "This listing was ended by the seller because the item was sold." Did you have a Make Offer option on it that might have ended as an auto-accept of the offered price?

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

But it was listed on February 20th and sold on February 30th a few hours later.  

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

The "Buy it now" (BIN) option on an auction disappears when the first bid is placed. So when the bid was placed, it became a regular auction with no BIN option.

The bid history for that auction shows that the auction was set to last for 7 days, it started at 10:30 this morning, then it got a bid at 11:58 and you ended it at 12:00 noon (Pacific time). Did you think that you had to take initiative to accept any bids? If so, you might have ended the auction accidentally. The bid history looks the way it does when a seller ends an auction early in order to sell to the current high bidder.

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/255986062487?item=255986062487 

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

Did you have two of those? One sold yesterday for $190 and one sold today for $130.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

Wonder if the OP ended the listing early ?

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

Pull up that listing using the relist  But , don't relist it.  See what was entered for starting bid and buy it now.

Did you end the listing early?

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

and the double encrypted ID buyer is the same one on both listings

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

OP sold a very similar item for $190 on 02/19/23.

And sold one for $130 on 02/20/23.

Wonder which one he is talking about, and whether or not he actually had two.

They look very similar but not quite the same.  

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

This is what I always believed. Listing with auction and buy it now meant that if a bid is placed the buy it now disappears.

The bidder was actually able to pay for the item after placing a bid for the opening bid amount. 

I had to send him a message saying that I did not understand why eBay sold it for the opening bid and was sorry but had to cancel the order with an option that I would be willing to relist it for the buy it now price.

I did not think I had to take the initiative to accept bids, which I didn't, eBay just let him have it and let him pay for it at the opening bid amount.

I only cancelled after he paid. 

I did not understand why eBay would give him the option to even pay for it at the opening bid amount.

Message 15 of 38
latest reply