cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage toy cars

I have 24 vintage toy cars - Hot Wheels, Matchbox and a couple of odd ones. They are all very good condition. Where can I find out their value and if they are common or rare?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Vintage toy cars

Value does not mean much on ebay.

If you want an inflated value there are probably sites you can go on to help with that.

But if you are looking to see what people on ebay are willing to pay, then check solds and completeds.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Vintage toy cars

Several price guides are available -- try your library. ~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Vintage toy cars

Most guides show inflated prices that you wouldn't necessarily get.  For example, saw a cookie jar front page of a guide.  Inside pages put it's value at $2,500.00.

You can get them on Ebay for $250.00 and much less.

Check the completed items.  It will show you both what didn't sell and what did sell and for what price.  Hopefully you can get a consensus there.

And you can do a general online search as well.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Vintage toy cars

My husband purchases the Beckett books for his baseball and football cards.

No way can you get the inflated values they list as your items would just sit there.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Vintage toy cars

They are only worth what you get for them, put a couple on auction and see what happens.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Vintage toy cars

@lelambe-28

How old is vintage in your question? Are they Lesney, redline or made in China?

Like others have said check the soles/completed on eBay and they have online price guides for them.

@emerald40

I sure your husband knows the price listed in those books are for cards graded by Beckett.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Vintage toy cars

Just check back car with the solds. Then list at the lowest price you are will to sell. Never start at $.99 unless you want to sell it for that, sometimes you only get one buyer/bidder

Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Vintage toy cars

@trustedbasset wrote:

Just check back car with the solds. Then list at the lowest price you are will to sell. Never start at $.99 unless you want to sell it for that, sometimes you only get one buyer/bidder

Bassett’s reply was meant for the OP. I wish the boards were set for all users.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Vintage toy cars

The Match Box cars are from the 60's and they are by Lesney. The Hot Wheels are from 1967 and 1968 and from Mattel Inc.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Vintage toy cars

Are the hot wheels red lines ? Are they in original package ? If the answer is no, they are probably worth about a buck a piece so just sell them in lots instead. If they answer is yes, then check sold listings as you have some valuable stuff. Condition makes all the difference in the world as to the price.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Vintage toy cars

They are redline but not in the package and condition is very good.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Vintage toy cars

Most relines in very good condition ALWAYS sale for the going demand of collectors. You would probably be better off starting at a $9.99 price each at AUCTION and let the buyers bring the value up. At lease that is what I would do. Others will want you to start at the going rate but that is not an auction and will most likely get only a single bid if that. Check sold listings one by one for each car and you will get an idea of the price.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Vintage toy cars

@lelambe-28 wrote:
They are redline but not in the package and condition is very good.

Condition is a matter of opinion.  Your opinion of 'very good' could be junk to a serious collector.  Take lots of very clear, close-up pictures from all angles including the bottoms.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Vintage toy cars

Condition is a matter of opinion.  Your opinion of 'very good' could be junk to a serious collector.  Take lots of very clear, close-up pictures from all angles including the bottoms.

A buddy of mine recently sold some nice old redlines and buyer returned them after switching out the chassis and wheels on most to upgrade the cars they already owned.   LOTS OF CLOSE UP PICS

Message 15 of 15
latest reply