cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VERO and Counterfeit item notices

Every time I get one of these notices, I can't figure out why. This goes back for 2 or more years over my 4 accounts. In every instance my items are listed the same as hundreds of other sellers ads. The only thing difference is I am usually one of the least expensive of that type item. I out sell other sellers. This is not a violation of any rule that I know of. As far as VERO goes, why can hundreds of other sellers say the same copyrighted name on there ads. Why is it a violation when I do it. I think it is a way to get rid of the competition. They won't ever hear of it if you say that.  It's far to easy for any seller to report you for either of these things and you have little or no recourse and they don't have to provide any proof. I really need to know how to sell my items. Please advise with something that I can use to move my items. Thanks

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Could be the lower price makes them think they are fakes?  VERO does like to  "throw their weight " around. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

vero was developed to protect all copyrighted products from a manufacturer and their sales agents, many cases the sales agent (seller) is required to purchase a license agreement from the manufacturer as well as a percentage of each item sold. When you add these costs to a licensed agent it adds to the bottom line. 

When someone decides to copy any part of the verified rights owner's product including the likeness and or wording and is NOT licensed, it is considered counterfeit not to mention the quality and or accuracy of the item(in many cases where a reproduction manufacturer is licensed to make the original companies product, you have to supply a sample so it can be examined to see if it meets the original standards) The unlicensed counterfeiter has an unfair advantage by not meeting the parts / product standards or bottom line costs, making it difficult for those who are licensed to compete. So the bottom line is to stop selling the item in question or obtain the rights from the manufacturer to use his intellectual property/products. Continued violations of VeRo can and has resulted in Federal Marshalls seizing all in question inventory(you do not get it back and is destroyed) and or result in fines and jail time. Ebay remains neutral but must enforce any Vero complaints, which has to be filed by the copyright holder and not by anyone else. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I really despise the VERO program along with the extensive prohibited items list. Both have forced me to move items off of eBay to other venues/platforms where this problem doesn't exist. It is easier to find alternatives than to try to figure out what eBay or the VERO program have issues with. As for the other listings some get caught some don't, who knows what the bot's key on. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

why can hundreds of other sellers say the same copyrighted name on there ads

The VERO program provides intellectual property (IP) owners with the option to report listings they feel infringe their rights. It is up to the IP owner to decide whether to file a notice or not.

What is the brand name you are putting on your listings?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

I really despise the VERO program along with the extensive prohibited items list. Both have forced me to move items off of eBay to other venues/platforms where this problem doesn't exist. It is easier to find alternatives than to try to figure out what eBay or the VERO program have issues with. As for the other listings some get caught some don't, who knows what the bot's key on. 

VERO is not a "bot".

It is a program that allows IP owners to report listings.

It is also a program designed to allow websites to comply with the OCILLA Act on the DMCA law.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

All of my products were just like current ads still for sale now. I understand all the rule you laid down but how do they determine my ad is a violation when it looks just like hundreds of other ads. Not kidding, hundreds.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thank you. My sentiments exactly.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

the worst one is Whirlpool.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Other sellers who are selling these items could be part of the rightsholder's authorized distribution chain.

If you are not, you may be viewed as violating the intellectual property rights (copyright, patent, trademark etc) of the rightsholder.

VeRO complaints by the rightsholder are often targeted toward unauthorized sellers.

And there are many Ebay sellers who are selling items they acquire without being part of the authorized supply chain.

As much as some sellers hate VeRO it is far less of a problem than encountered by sellers on other marketplace sites. And a heck of a lot better than being targeted for a lawsuit.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

VERO is not a "bot".

It is a program that allows IP owners to report listings.

It is also a program designed to allow websites to comply with the OCILLA Act on the DMCA law.

I am sure those companies are not checking each individual listing on eBay manually. I realize what the program is but it is inconsistently applied and used by companies and whomever else utilizes it. Just glad it is not applied universally across all of ecommerce. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply