cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Recognize a scammer

I posted a computer for 3000 with a buy now for 4000. The person offered for 400. Their about on their profile reads “

Hi just few questions about the item before proceeding with the payment kindly send me a message thanks I will be waiting for your message and sorry for the inconvenience I can't send a reply on eBay now because I am leaving for work and I won't be able to access my laptop for a while thanks and also if you can't send me a text kindly cancel the order at your end because i won't be able to reply after this message thanks.” Could this be a scam?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Sounds like a scam in the making or a buyer without a clue, just ignore the offer and block the buyer. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Definitely a scam.   Anyone who wants to communicate outside of ebay is a scammer.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

When was the last time you said "kindly"?

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Scam. You are selling a high value item and as far as your profile indicates, have little or no experience selling. Scam magnet. 

I honestly would not sell it on eBay. 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Could be a scam. Probably a scam.

As a 0 seller, nobody is going to trust you with this listing thinking you are the scammer.

Loose Cannon
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

You should kindly avoid this buyer

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:

When was the last time you said "kindly"?

It's very common in non-US English.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Anyone trying for make a purchase for $3000. will have to text the credit card that it is OK for the purchase to go through. No credit card will let such a payment go through unless the buyer spends thousands every month on eBay.

That kind of a sale has to be approved by the card...and usually by a text on an iPhone or by phone by the credit card company.

As an American Express cardholder...even I can't just make a purchase for $3000. without letting the credit card company talk or text me.

An besides...you not selling anything in a month...if someone bought it your funds from this sale will have a hold on it for 30+ days even though you have to ship it out.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

You rec'd an offer for $400.00 ?????

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@kevonvan78 wrote:

Could this be a scam?

@kevonvan78 : Let's not beat around the bush here. That is a scam, period. The text you quoted is a standard script (notice that it never mentions your computer by name; it just calls it "the item") that is copied and pasted to as many sellers as possible before the scammer's account is nuked. The reason that they're asking for a text message from you is to get an off-eBay contact method for you, to be followed by completely fake payment notifications.

Just stop responding; there is no real offer to be accepted here.

Unfortunately, as a new bidder with a high-value item, scammers will be coming from miles around to take a whack at you. It would be better to sell that locally for cash.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@kevonvan78 

New seller selling a high dollar electronic item...what could go wrong?  Yes, it's a scam attempt.  Ignore and block.  PS  This is something you really should not be selling here on eBay.  You are an inexperienced seller and are setting yourself up for more scammers.  You should sell that computer locally for cash.  Here's somethings to look for as a new seller, especially this time of year:

12-scams-of-christmas.jpg

Be careful!

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Why would you even want to consider a $400 offer on a $4000 item?

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@bennotbill wrote:

Why would you even want to consider a $400 offer on a $4000 item?

I'm guessing that's a typo, and the OP just dropped a digit while writing about an offer of $4000.

When a seller is already showing a BuyItNow price of $4000, it makes no sense for a prospective buyer to do a Make Offer of $4000, but he will, in the hopes of working around an Immediate Payment requirement on the BuyItNow price and let him send fake payment notifications to the seller instead.

Hopefully the new requirement to upload payment info before making an offer will reduce the amount of scams like this. (I know it won't eliminate them altogether...)

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

You can accept, reject, counteroffer or ignore any Best Offer.

Since you don't want to deal with this person and you are busy in any case, just ignore it.

Then.

When you have a minute, go to your listing and REVISE it so that you automatically reject any lowball offer.

The lowballer gets a polite letter from eBay and may if they are sincere make a few more offers.

You won't see any of those until the hit the point you would consider.

You can also set an automatic acceptance.

Since you are a new seller, you are probably being scammed.

The note on their profile is beyond suspicious.

Do NOT phone or text.

ALL messages should be through eBay messages.

BTW, have you registered for Managed Payments?
Without your SSN and checking account information, eBay cannot transfer payments to your bank.

And in any case there is an automatic Hold on payments to new sellers for up to 30 days.

But you will be notified when the real buyer has really paid and instructed to ship.

Note that this is on the same page as the buyer's address, do NOT trust any emailed addresses.

Others will have told you about the problems with selling high value/high fraud items online early in your career. Listen to them.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply